Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNice car! Question about fuel.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
LuxAuto View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2005 at 10:17

that's expensive!

Where I love, super plus is only 2-3p more per litre than unleaded, about 90p.

Sponsored Links

David321 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2005 at 10:16

Sainsbury's Super Unleaded is the way forward. I paid 88.9p a litre for it yesterday, which has to be the cheapest 98RON fuel going.

I get slightly better economy from 98Ron fuels, but generally nowhere near enough to justify the extra price of Optimax etc.

E36 M3 Evo - Techno Violet
Previous & current rides...
Ric H View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2005 at 09:31
Thanks for the replies - and at just under a pound a litre, I'm pleased to hear that the super unleaded isn't any better than the normal stuff! 
neileg View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2005 at 07:28

Mmm...

Redex doesn't go down too well with catalytic converters.

Cheers, Neil
Nostrils View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2005 at 06:53
Its all in the mind, if you fill up with the expensive stuff, you want it to be better and in some way convince yourself that it is better!

Petrol is petrol, as discussed before, not all the oil companies have refineries all over the country, so they trade on supplies and add their own ingredient at the point of tanker/petrol station.

In the past, I have used an additive to clean the fuel system...you've all heard of it, Redex! Adding this to a full tank will assist with the the cleaning of the fuel system and like the added ingredients, it could be perception working...but it certainly worked on older cars I used own!
Phil
LuxAuto View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2005 at 06:30

I agree totally, and would also like to add that whether these fuels give better fuel economy or not is also open to debate as there are too many variables to consider, i.e. driving style, the roads you travel on etc.

Due to the expense, any increase in economy (if there is any) is going to be offset by its cost so you are not going gaining anything in reality.  the only time I would suggest using these fuels is if you have a specific problem, like pinking for example, this can help, but not always.

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2005 at 06:00
I spent quite a lot of time when I first got my car comparing the performance and economy when using Optimax and standard UL (I even did a graph in Microsoft Excel! Very sad I know). Optimax gave only slightly better economy and I didn't notice any improvement in performance. IMO it's not worth the extra cash and unless your car is specifically set up to run on it I wouldn't bother.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
LuxAuto View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2005 at 02:54
I've tried it and didn't ntoice any difference.

You could also try BP ultimate or the other expensive stuff, but i didn't notice any difference there either.
Ric H View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2005 at 19:44
Bought my first BM today - Saphire black 330ci sport coupe (03) with beige leather interior (nice!).  Like it. Driven about 150 miles already, and I'm not disappointed.  Will be up early tomorrow to take it for another spin.  Like the look, love the ride and overall standard of comfort. Hate the arm rest - can't figure out how the hell you're meant to operate the handbrake without breaking your wrist. (or your elbow, if you put the armrest up)!  Like all the gizmos - like the automatic lights/windscreen wipers, electric seats, cruise control, and the way the wing mirrors change angles when reversing!  Goes quite fast, but was wondering whether the performance would be noticably better if I used 98 ron (ie super unleaded) rather than 95 (normal).  The dealer said normal would be okay, so that's whats in it at the moment.  Anyone done any comparisons? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic