FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStrange Vibration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange Vibration
    Posted: 30-May-2003 at 16:59
Recently I've noticed a weird sound while driving with the aircon on (seems to need a recharge) and thought it was a belt slipping, but on investigation it happens to be 2 pipes vibrating in the engine bay.The car is the 4 litre V8, if you stand to the front of the car the offending pipes are on the left of the bay down between the engine and inner wing.These run to the back of the bay and are capped. My question is does anyone know what these pipes are for?
Sponsored Links

Karl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2003 at 00:14

Micky, If these two pipes are tapped in to the two refrigerant pipes that run to the compressor then these are the service ports for the air con system, they should each have a black plastic cap on them.

If you know that your a/c system is low on refrigerant then get it looked at! The lubricant  for the compressor is carried by the refrigerant, the less refrigerant then it follows that there will not be the required amount of lubricant passing through the compressor, causing it to wear rapidly and become quite vocal, I have even known them to sieze up.

Whilst your looking at the a/c system do make sure that the electric cooling fan works, (This is a major weakness on all BMWs) it is designed to run when the refrigerant pressure exceeds 250psi (I think) The idea of this is that the fan should run when the car is in heavy/ stationary traffic and should cut out when on the open road and there is sufficient airflow over the condenser.

micky_h View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2003 at 14:30

Thanks Karl.

I had already had the car booked in at a garage to have the aircon checked out/recharged.Nice to know these pipes are part of that system and not something else about to cause trouble.

micky_h View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2003 at 13:24

Right to update u guys on this problem.The cars been in the aircon is in a1 condition.The diagnoses to the problem was a restriction in the ventilation system which was killing the motors and not letting any air through,the pollen filter being the prime suspect.

Apparently on the E34 the are 6 places which this could be and sods law its the last one the mechanic tried.On removing the old one it was discovered that there were potatoes growing in it, i.e. it was well and truly rotten.Now the filters been exchanged all is as it should be nice cold air,in fact any air, at a stronger rate than an asthmatic hedgehog trying to blow a candle out :)  

I have another question which I hope one of u lot could answer, the car is 9 years old and by the sounds of things the pollen filter hasn't been changed at any of its service,most of them by Sytner.Now I would have thought that this item should be changed at 1 of the inspection services.Am I right?

Karl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2003 at 00:22

Aren't pollen filters wonderfull. They stick them in such daft places so that you'd never be able to check if the jobs been done or not. I'll bet that someone got charged for that filter every 12 months. Glad that your a/c is happy again. Ill find time to replace the condenser on my 525ix tourer ready for winter!!......Right after I've sorted the front driveshafts, wiper spindles and timing chain.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic