Forum LockedPreferred Fuel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preferred Fuel
    Posted: 01-August-2005 at 11:11

Where do you usually get your fuel?

For a good while I've been running an M3 on Optimax, as you do, but last week I found myself having to fill up at a BP station.

There seems to be a slight change in the car while running on BP Ultimate, it seems to idle and rev a lot 'smoother' through the middle of the revs but also seems to have a little less power at the top of the rev range.

I'm back firmly on Optimax again now for the foreseeable future, but wondered if anyone else has experienced similar things or used any different fuel like Esso (or whoever else makes premium over 96RON)........

Sponsored Links

micky_h View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 11:16
Optimax for my M3 and nothing else.Read other posts about people trying the BP stuff and making their car run cr4p,so they swapped back.
Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 11:58
am confused on this

some say no point in running higher octane if the car is properly set up for 95 octane

but no matter how the engine is tuned surely a higher calorific value fuel will be better

or perhaps if the 98 octane burns differently then it won't suit the ignition timing set up for 95 octane

can anyone explain??

the theory seems to conflict with people's experiences - or maybe there's a psychological factor at work...
JC , e30 m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 12:28
I had 200litres of 102 octane race fuel in my possesion a couple of weeks ago but resisted the urge to put any in the M3, thought it might do more harm than good - probably needed to adjust the ignition timing as well or something?? Optimax all the way otherwise..
jamie

jamie@carlin.co.uk
www.carlin.co.uk

89 Europameister
78 911 SC
93 MK1 MX-5
98 Ford Focus
E30 M3 Evo 1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
BMW M = Big Money Worries Multiplied

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 12:44

What car have you got Mr G?

Reason for asking is that the E36 M3's have kock sensors which should allow you to run higher octane fuel and feel the benefits from it...... but also allow lower grade fuels without the problems of 'Pinking' under load.

The E30's have no knock sensors, but I remember seeing a thread recently which highlighted connecting various combinations of connectors near the ECU depending upon which grade of fuel you prefer.

Hope this helps.

Alpine White E30 M3 Evo 1
Imola Red E46 318TiSE Compact - Gone
Royal Blue E34 535i Sport - Gone but not Forgotten
Sparkling Graphite E90 320d SE.
Mike 90 M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 12:57

Originally posted by Jonners Jonners wrote:

am confused on this

some say no point in running higher octane if the car is properly set up for 95 octane

but no matter how the engine is tuned surely a higher calorific value fuel will be better

or perhaps if the 98 octane burns differently then it won't suit the ignition timing set up for 95 octane

can anyone explain??

the theory seems to conflict with people's experiences - or maybe there's a psychological factor at work...

As far as I understand it it goes like this. A higher octane fuel allows for a more advanced ignition or a higher compression ratio before knock occurs. This alone gives the increase in power, not the fuel. So if your car doesn't have knock sensors (allowing it to alter ignition timing depending on the fuel) and you haven't raised the comp ratio then it won't make any difference what fuel you use (as long as its not diesel!).

I have also heard that using higher octane fuel alone can actually slightly reduce power as it has a lower calorific value?!

Italian M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 13:39
I used Esso while in Northern France when optimax was not available. They
only have the normal Esso stuff, but I thought it did very well on the milage
front and performance was slightly off but not much. Definatly better than
UK Esso!
Still fast at 2Ltrs!! Undercover M3!!
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 14:26
just to clarify something.
The benefit of having a knock sensor is the ability to run fuel WITH LESSER Octane, not the other way round.
If your ignition is set to max XY the knock sensor will not exeed that value. It will only retard to prevent/stop knocking.
Higher Octane fuel to an otherwise not changed engine will have NO benefit in terms of power. And not all "racing fuels" are manufactured to the same norm as "road fuels".
Once the barrel is opened and the stuff is not used the "Octanes" are making a runner anyway and it's not much better than any other fuel
As mentioned already from Mike, it can have negative effect as well.

But that's all in a nutshell only. There's more to it.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 15:51
Reading this months Evo mag's Q&A page, it says..... " most modern engine management systems can sense the fuel RON and advance the ignition timing to make the most of it"
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 17:29
Originally posted by BMG M3 BMG M3 wrote:

Reading this months Evo mag's Q&A page, it says..... " most modern engine management systems can sense the fuel RON and advance the ignition timing to make the most of it"

yes but only to a given range. Is there anywhere in Europe fuel available from petrol stations with more than 98 Octane? (don't say Shell V-power now, that's only available in Germany and only since last year).
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 17:43

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Originally posted by BMG M3 BMG M3 wrote:

yes but only to a given range. Is there anywhere in Europe fuel available from petrol stations with more than 98 Octane? (don't say Shell V-power now, that's only available in Germany and only since last year).

Well, there's supposed to be Tesco's experimental 99RON super unleaded - only available from a few outlets.

There's also proper leaded 4-star, which is 99.6RON.

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 18:11

We sell proper leaded 4 star where I work, but it will kill your cats!

When I was working for a Rover dealer back in 1990, I went on a course for engine management and ignition systems. Thier Mems systems all had knock sensors. BUT, thier systems constantly wound the ignition advanced untill it detected pinking, then back off a few degress, then after a few seconds, advance it again. Mind you, it lead to plenty of burnt out valves and head gasket failures on the old A series (Maestro) and O' series (Meastro/Montego/boxy 216) and M' series (820,220,420) Funily enough, none of the Honda engined Rovers ever suffered from that!

Before mapping cars, I make sure the customer fills the car up with the fuel they are going to be using everyday, especially when they want the "max" out of the engine. Agressively tuning the engine with Optimax then the driver putting in 95 octane fuel may do damage to the engine, even with an knock sensor, as they only retard to a limit too.

But, I agree with Uwe, a higher octane fuel won't really make your knock sensor tell the ECU to advance up the ignition, its only used for "safety" incase the quality of fuel is poor for some reason.

Edited by SHEPSM3
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 18:24
Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

We sell proper leaded 4 star where I work, but it will kill your cats!

My car's so old, it doesn't have any cats!

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 18:35

Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

My car's so old, it doesn't have any cats!

You are lucky!

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2005 at 03:56
My car was mapped using Optimax and as it runs 11.25 CR I try to only use it,but on the odd times I have used other stuff I can`t say I have noticed any difference..

Jon
///Mister_G View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2005 at 04:27

95 E36 M3.0

I have a factory sticker in the corner of the windscreen stating 98 RON or over. Optimax is 97.....!?

I know that the octane rating differs over the world and has something to do with combustion temperatures (i.e. US gas is rated something like 88 but is equivalent to uk unleaded, 93-5)

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2005 at 05:17
Originally posted by jon90 jon90 wrote:

My car was mapped using Optimax and as it runs 11.25 CR I try to only use it,but on the odd times I have used other stuff I can`t say I have noticed any difference..

Jon

no offence, but how do you know your ignition is mapped to the "limit" ?
BTW high speed knocking is so dangerous because you CAN'T hear it.
But you know that anyway
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2005 at 05:19
Originally posted by ///Mister_G ///Mister_G wrote:

95 E36 M3.0

I have a factory sticker in the corner of the windscreen stating 98 RON or over. Optimax is 97.....!?

I know that the octane rating differs over the world and has something to do with combustion temperatures (i.e. US gas is rated something like 88 but is equivalent to uk unleaded, 93-5)

Optimax is 98. When it was first introduced in Germany they said 99.....
Now they have Shell V-Power with 100 (and it cost's a fortune)
///Mister_G View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2005 at 05:36

How much... roughly?

Just checked the shell website and V power was developed with high levels of detergent in the fuel mixture to help remove carbon deposits from the valves. The side effect is a high octane rating. It's available in the US too.

Glenn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2005 at 08:12

Optimax is 98 RON. The handbook for the E46 M3 also states to use 98Ron where possible although the car can be run on 95 if need be.

Going back to the orginal question, When I had my old car (mitsi FTO) It actually seemed to prefer the 97 BP Super, seemed smoother somehow. I haven't noticed any difference between BP and optimax in the M3 so I stick to opti as its at the recommeded RON as is usually cheaper than BP where I live too.

Just for info, the Japanese have 100Ron fuel which the FTO was set up for and that worked fine on any grade/make of petrol. Even Jet!

Originally posted by ///Mister_G ///Mister_G wrote:

I have a factory sticker in the corner of the windscreen stating 98 RON or over. Optimax is 97.....!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic