what is it and what motors are affected

Hayabusa
Sponsored Links

RedOctober View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2005 at 15:26

Hi Bill,

Nikasil problems affect certain BMW V8 and 6-cyl engines on certain models at certain build dates.

When BMW made these engines, they made them of Alumimium which is a light metal and keeps the engine weight down.

However, Aluminium is a relatively soft metal compared to engines with steel bores, so BMW had to put a coating of hard metal on the cylinder bore surfaces to stop the hard piston rings from rapidly wearing out the engine.

BMW electroplated a hard coating of Nickel metal onto the bores of their engines.

Unfortunately, in the UK and USA, we had high-sulphur fuels, which produce certain acids during combustion. These acids got behind the Nickel coating and corroded it, usually at the very top of the bore where the acids could get behind the Nickel coating.

The result was green patches of Nickel Sulphate around the top of the bore, which is a rough salt that won't seal the bores when the piston rises on the compression stroke.

Symptoms include rough running, high oil and fuel consumption, lack of power, poor idle, and difficult starting in cold weather.

BMW initially replaced faulty engines under warranty with new Nikasil blocks, until they found the cause and came up with a solution.

The engine design was changed on the V8's to Alusil blocks, where the bore surfaces are made from high silicon content Aluminium which is very hard-wearing. As this method is via impregnation, there was no coating as such on Alusil blocks to strip off, so the problem was solved.

Six cylinder engines were replaced with steel-linered engines. BMW didn't exactly broadcast the issue for obvious commercial reasons.

Cars affected were all E34 5-series & E32 7-series V8's built between 1992-1995, all E36 3-series, E39 5-series and E38 7-series built between 1995-1998, and also early 4 litre 840i's. 328i's, 528i's & 728i's were particularly prone to the problem.

Early 840i's with the M60 4 litre V8 are also afflicted. The 750i & 850i V12's were NOT affected, as these used Alusil Blocks. No diesel or 4-cyl engines were affected at any time.

In 1996 BMW brought out the Alusil V8 in the E39 5-series and E38 7-series, so the 3.5 & 4.4 litre V8's in these models were ok, as well as the later 4.4 litre 840i.

In 1998 BMW brought out the steel-linered six-cylinder blocks to cure the problem on the 6-cyl engines.

Replacement Nikasil blocks were still being fitted to many cars, and on the V8's, replacement Alusil blocks were only fitted after March 1997.

On the six-cylinder, steel-linered blocks were only fitted as replacements after March 1998.

You need to check the service history of any of these models very carefully, and check the engine condition.

Not all cars were affected, only those run on high-sulphur fuels. It's quite a complex issue to get your head round, but if your prospective purchase runs like a bag of nails and has an original Nikasil engine, run away very quickly!

BMW won't pay anything towards repairs now as the affected cars are so old now and out of warranty.

Also, there are no quick fixes either-if the engine block is faulty then it's scrap-full stop. Replacements cost thousands.

Towards the late 1990's low sulphur fuels were phased in so the problem reduced considerably. Jaguar and Audi were also affected with their V8's, although not as much as BMW as BMW brought their Nikasil engines out when high sulphur fuel was still common.

Hope this helps!

Alex

"I was just clearing out the cylinders, Officer"
Bill- View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2005 at 16:53
--EDITED-- mate thanks for that info
I'll bet its one of those questions that could be a little repetative,
but very informative to a BMW virgin like me (of sorts but thats another story) and Important, my engine is sweet, how do I research the history without cost ( bought a service manual on eBay can i get it to run ? --EDITED--

and if I have been a little internet rude looking at my last couple of posts I think I have then thank you all you good people...--EDITED--

EDITED FOR LANGUAGE.. READ THE FORUM GUIDELINES!

Edited by Rhys
Hayabusa
Bill- View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2005 at 16:55
On second thoughts I think I'll settle for a pale ale......warm
Hayabusa
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2005 at 06:17

Yes, a pale ale is a better option. If you car is one of those that may have a Nikasil engine, then if it's running fine with no problems you should be ok, as most fuels now are low sulphur anyway.

So just fill up with a pump marked 'low sulphur' fuel and don't worry-if the car's come this far with no problems it should be fine for the future.

And anyway, BMW won't contribute anything now as all the affected cars are well out of warranty now.

It really isn't worth spending time and money having tests done, because if you get a bad diagnosis there's nothing you can do that won't involve spending thousands anyway, as there are no cheap fixes or dodges for this problem.

It's a good design when not afflicted by the sulphur problems, so if your car is funning fine then don't worry and don't waste time and money at garages for a problem that may not even exist anyway.

Basically, if your engine was sick, you'd know about it in no uncertain terms as the symptoms aren't subtle!

So save your money and use it to buy more pale ale or a tankful of low sulphur fuel and then enjoy BMW's finest at the redline

Alex

Bill- View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2005 at 07:34

Alex thanks mate I cant see my engine having this fault i get

23 all round mpg

no oil burning at all it seems (2500 miles no drop on dipstick)

no smoke

purring V8 Yum Yum

did 120 is miles early this morning all seems well

tell me about the russian women

Hayabusa
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2005 at 15:27

Hi Bill,

Sounds like you've got a really healthy V8 there

Which model have you got? I've got a '93 E34 540i and would rather put my hand in a bacon slicer than ever sell it cos it's huge fun and has the replacement Alusil engine and a full history!

Gave it a right good polish today after next door neighbour's builders sent clouds of dust down our road after cutting bricks etc.

Poor thing looked like it had spent several weeks in the desert in the dust storms

Ah yes, Russian women! Fortunately, I can get away with talking about it on this forum as there is a BMW element to it as well!

I had a Russian girlfriend from Volgograd in Southern Russia a few years ago.

We'd meet in Moscow and I had a few trips there. You wouldn't believe all the flash cars over there, and the police were riding around in BMW E39 5-series and Mercedes E-class, no doubt in hot persuit of Ivan the turnip thief in his battered old Lada!

Our hotel was right outside the Kremlin, and was used by Russian Government officials and top business people, who would park all their expensive metal outside the front of the hotel.

I saw top-end fully loaded Range Rovers, Jeep Grand Cherokees, Jaguars, big Mercs, BMW 8 series, and a Jaguar XJ220-a car I'd never even seen in Britain!

I have to say the Russians go mostly for German cars, and with their new-found relative freedom after the collapse of Communism, are overdosing on the things we take for granted. I did see one hugely funny sight when we were having dinner one day. Looking out of the window I was watching all the cars go past when out of nowhere, I saw this battered old white Austin Maestro mixing it with the VW's and Audi's etc. Nearly choked on my dinner!

They're really into their cars and, whilst I won't go into personal details here about my own experiences with the Russian ladies, lets just say that it was a uniquely unforgettable experience and marked an extremely high point in my life

Of course, as well as all those tall, commanding Slavonic beauties with a sexy accent, it was like a home from home with all the Beemers on the roads out there when I was there in 2001/2002!

Anyway, returning to the original topic, just fill your tank with a known brand low sulphur fuel-it was some of the cheaper supermarket fuels that caused the problems originally.

Comrad Alex

Bill- View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2005 at 02:36

Thank you Comrade

Russia sounds very interesting thanks for that.

The Russians I have come across (Fruit pickers) certainly look supremely fit in comparison to the majority of young people around here, they are also very well mannered and polite, some of the ladies wave at me (it must be the car) there are quite a number working on the friut crops around and about

and thank you I will take your advice about the  cheaper supermarket fuels

Hayabusa
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2005 at 15:56

Yes, a good branded low sulphur fuel will keep your engine very happy and problem-free

VW's are very popular with the Russians, so I can see why your local Russian lady fruit-pickers waved at a you in a BM!!

I've heard from several sources and several Russian ladies that they rate British men very highly and much prefer us to their own menfolk

As they don't get much stability in their own country, they like the somewhat more stable culture over here in Blighty.

They are lovely girls if you get to know them, so keep that BMW V8 purring with low-sulphur fuel and you may get to do your bit for international relations

Some years ago I had a metallic black 635CSi with black leather sports seats and air-con, and was seeing a lovely blonde Latvian Au Pair who was living and working in London.

I'd travel down from Liverpool and cruise round central London in a big black 6-series with a lovely Eastern European blonde in the passenger seat.

Talk about living alright

Alex

Bill- View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2005 at 04:36

From redoctober,         Sounds like you've got a really healthy V8 there

Which model have you got?

Hi Red I've got a '95 E34 530i one of the last ones I do believe, its a nice example, almost new condition but not quite as good as I'd like.  I have a couple of  niggles, squeaks and a rattle at low speed to sort out.

Apart from that every bulb lights up and all components work as they should

may I just put my feelings down about the 5 I have

This 34 is a very complex car which for me is such a buzz. Getting to learn just, say for example, 'how and why the computer runs the show', such a clever car are the BMW's  Although I have owned many cars some of them fast ones, I have never had such a finely engineered car as this (even at nearly 10 years old). I certainly don't think I shall ever own another make from now on.

My Father Became a BMW owner in the early seventies with new

1/ 3.0 si K reg (what year was that)

2/ 3.0 csi L Reg

3/ 633 CSi R reg

This is where my love of the make began

Hayabusa
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2005 at 16:18

Hi Bill,

Sounds like you have a very nice car there-well worth keeping in fine condition.

I new about the Nikasil issue before I bought my '93 E34 540i, so when I saw the car for sale at a dealer I e-mailed them and asked if the engine had been replaced and explained my concerns about the Nikasil issue before even viewing the car.

They confirmed it had had a replacement Alusil block so I went to view it and found they knewall about the BMW Nikasil problems, as they sold 'other' makes of cars as well!!

Anyway, 1 test drive convinced me and the deal was done-I part-ex'd my '89 E34 535i and drove home in the V8 rocketship on a lovely sunny Autumn day-I couldn't believe the power compared to my previous BM's-and neither could my mate when I drove straight round to his and let him drive it round the block

I'm on my 10th BM now, after becoming hooked on them 12 years ago now-I can't imagine ever wanting another make!

"It's not a problem Doctor-I'm fine really, no really I am. Ok maybe I have a slight preference for certain cars-I'm sure it's all part of growing up to own 3 BMW's at the same time. I'm on my 10th BM now you know Doc-alright I'm seriously hooked on the thngs if you must know-what's your hourly rate for professional counselling? By the way, is the counsellor Russian and I'm sure I saw her getting out of a BMW 330Ci coupe-you know they make the finest engines in the world Doc"

Help, they're coming to get me

Alex

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic