FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked@BMG M3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: @BMG M3
    Posted: 21-May-2003 at 13:26
will you be in Germany this weekend for the S14 meeting?
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Sponsored Links

BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2003 at 17:52

Unfortunately not Uwe. Daniel did ask me a few months back if i would like to go but i had just booked up 2 weekends at the Nurburgring and I wasn't able to get the saturday off work or combine it with a trip to the ' Ring ' due to the lack of public weekends.

On a slightly different subject i will be at the ' Ring '  from the 20th  to the  23rd of June if you or any others will be there or are thinking of going . It would be good if a few M3 owners were to make the trip, i don't understand why more UK guys don't go , only 4 hours from Calais  , £8 for 1 lap or £440 for a years unlimited track pass, it makes UK track days seem somewhat overpriced ,you can even get the Eurotunnel for £ 59 for the next few months and then theres the holiday aspect to it  and thats not even to mention the fact the M3 was made for this place .

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2003 at 19:13

yes, you are right about the prices in the UK. Only downside in my opinion is that if things go wrong on the Nordschleife, they go badly wrong! I can also imagine that some UK M3 owners see it as very complicated to get the car sorted if something needs to be fixed. Did you not have some trouble with the gear shift? The garages round the ring are very flexible, but they can't make miracles. You should also consider to go to Hockenheim while you are in Germany. About 2 hours from the Ring. thurday afternoon is public driving for something like 15 Euros / 15 min.

BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2003 at 19:41

Yeah the danger of the Ring is a factor , but to be honest i find that part of the fun and a challenge . As for car problems there , yes the gear linkage did fall apart and leave me with only 3rd gear but with AA cover someone came out to the car that night and took the car to the BMW dealer in Daun . This was at the weekend and both my brother and i had to be back in the UK for first thing Monday , so they AA paid for a taxi to Bonn and then for a hire car to take to Calais , foot passenger  tickets to Dover and  another hire car to get home. A few days later they phoned me and said the car was ready and then told me they cover the towing cost and the first £ 50 of labour  by the garage which meant all i had to pay was the parts cost of around £ 15  : )

The next weekend has me on a ferry to calais ( and this is all paid for by the AA ) then  in a hire car to Bitburg and then the maddest taxi ride ever to Daun to collect the car and then back to the Ring for another weekend of fun courtesy of the AA , they even paid for a night in a hotel as they didn't expect me to drive there and back in a day ,and also for another ferry home so it didn't cost me a thing really and i got my gear linkage rebuilt for £ 15 !  what a bargain .

On a more serious note as long as you have some kind of cover then i don't think its so bad . i don't have any AA cover in the UK so if i were to brakedown at say Croft then i'd be in just the same position , i know its not like being in a foreign country but it can still cost . Short of a serious problem i think most things could be fixed easily out there , a lot of the Ringers forum members seem to get on OK without to many problems ,and if you were in a group of M3 owners  you wouldn't be alone or without help .

www.nurburgring.org.uk

www.smartgroups.com/groups/ringers

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2003 at 21:22

Cool! Join the AA!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic