Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unleaded Fuel 325i E30
    Posted: 21-November-2002 at 11:56
when I had a 325 from new back in 88, I was told just to use unleaded as it was designed to use it from the start! so valves should be unaffected by the unleaded petrol. The inline items, it's debatable if these work well or not, as I don't think any scientific tests have been carried out to prove or disaprove makers claims. (personally I wouldn't bother with them, if in doubt use an additive with unleaded or super unleaded) I use Optimax in my car all the time now, and it certainly improves engine response, and fuel economy isn't bad either.
Sponsored Links

Paul View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2002 at 09:01

Nigel,

Yes it is the M20 engine, so in this case, i think 95 RON unleaded will do the job.

Thanks for your help.

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2002 at 21:27

Paul

I wonder if you have the M20 engine ?

I've always used the 95 ron in mine, never considered anything else.

Porshe and vw have been using"two star" for years, I had an 83 polo,an uncle had a 911, so I assumed all german cars did.

My handbook definately states 95 ron.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Paul View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2002 at 17:07

Thanks Adam, i think i will use unleaded 95 RON and monitor the situation

I had a Golf previously, and would say that Optimax, whilst more expensive does return you more miles per gallon, from a full tank of optimax i would get about 30-40 miles per tank more with a more cleaner engine response. 

Havent tried it in the 325i yet though.

Adam Garside View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2002 at 15:40

I always put Unleaded in my 1988 325i and i haven't noticed a real difference with super(apart from the dent it puts in my wallet).

My mate uses Optimax in his Celica GT4 and swears by it. Apparantly these Rice Wagons are much more fussy over fuel than our german engineered beasties.

MancRover View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2002 at 14:42

JH,

I've heard lots of mixed reviews about Optimax, depending on what car you drive - seems like you need an engine that can 'adapt' to the increased RON rating if it is set up for 95.  Some people report better economy, others report better performance - most people (like yourself) report smoother running.

Has anyone else had any good experiences after using 98RON or even 99RON Optimax?  Is the extra you pay worth the results?

Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the
other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off.
jhoward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2002 at 13:04

I had an 89 320i which could take both. I think my 89 325i can also. Look on the inside of the petrol cap.

LRP is pretty crap, don't bother with it and certainly don't spend money enabling your car to take anything other than unleaded.

98 octane super unleaded make the cylinders explode faster, so you get better performance, or if you drive at the same speeds and keep the acceleration the same, slightly better consumption.

The best is Shell Optimax. I swear it makes everything smoother. Good for the engine too.

MancRover View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2002 at 12:52
Whilst we're on the subject, (sorry Paul if I'm hijacking your thread) would I gain any benefit from switching to Super unleaded rather than the 95ron recommended in the handbook of the '91 325.
Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the
other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off.
Paul View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2002 at 12:43

I need some advice, I have just purchased a 325i (E30) 1987 (D reg) and need some clarification on what fuel type to run it on.  I have been given the three following options, which one should i follow?

1, Just use unleaded fuel because the engine and injection system supports this, no retiming required.

2, Use unleaded fuel, but have the engine retimed (reducing performance and fuel economy), is this necessary as the engine will pink? if it doesnt is there any need for retiming i.e as number 1?

3, Fit an inline leaded to unleaded convertor, are these any good, do they work.

If anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated because i have also been informed that the LRP leaded substitute is bad for the engine/valves

Thanks 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic