FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow to change E34 pollen filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to change E34 pollen filter
    Posted: 26-June-2005 at 18:30
I have just bought a 1995 E34 520i SE for my wife, it has a/c, cruise, e/s/r & is finished in cosmos black metallic with black leather.
The good lady is pleased with it, as I am.
However....,
The cabin airflow is very poor even on full fan speed, I can hear the flaps working, the fan working etc , therefore I have great suspicions over the condition of the cabin pollen filter, which I went to change today.....

I have looked at the filter suppliers (Bosch) website & was pleased when I spotted fitting instructions, only problem is its in LHD format, with access to the filter on the passenger side. On a RHD car it would appear access is under the panel that fits around the pedals, I tried earlier this evening & can't even get the panel (which has ducting attached to it..) to come out, to allow access to change the filter.

So I'm throwing myself on this forums mercy, please help me, I DON'T want to go to a dealer when I should be able to do it myself!

Thanks,
Dave
My 635's.
Sponsored Links

shapetoshoot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2005 at 19:54

Hi Dave

Replacing the filter on RHD cars is pretty straightforward as long as you can find a new two piece filter.

The symptoms you describe are almost certainly this filter .

You will need to remove the panel under your dash the ventilation pipes attached to it are simply push fitted to a pipe coming from behind the heater area , you should be able seperate them simply, a bit of pushing an pulling may be required.

Disconnect the wires connecting the bong unit and put the panel and air duct out of the way.

Remove the small carpet covered panel at top of the trans tunnel. From memory there is then some wires which can either be pushed to the side but its easier to disconnect the wiring block and move them out of the way.

You will be able to access a yellowish plastic box that is against the bulkhead about on a level with your ashtray,heater. You will need to get down there and look with a torch once familiar. You can remove the few torx headed screws which hold the endcap of this box in place. Inside there is the filter, slide this out.

If the filter is a one piece unit it will not go past your peddles , you can just cut it as its scrap.

Use a vacuum to clean out the box, which is generally full of leaves and stuff. refitt your new two piece filter by putting the top piece in first lifting it up and sliding the second part in below it.

Put everything else back and turn up the blower , feel good about doing the most satisfying DIY job on an e34.

It will take 1 to 2 hours to do this job first time. 1/2 hour the second.  Scraping your knuckles is almost compulsory though. 

Good Luck

UKDaveJ View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2005 at 20:18
Originally posted by shapetoshoot shapetoshoot wrote:

Hi Dave

Replacing the filter on RHD cars is pretty straightforward as long as you can find a new two piece filter.

The symptoms you describe are almost certainly this filter .

You will need to remove the panel under your dash the ventilation pipes attached to it are simply push fitted to a pipe coming from behind the heater area , you should be able seperate them simply, a bit of pushing an pulling may be required.

Disconnect the wires connecting the bong unit and put the panel and air duct out of the way.

Remove the small carpet covered panel at top of the trans tunnel. From memory there is then some wires which can either be pushed to the side but its easier to disconnect the wiring block and move them out of the way.

You will be able to access a yellowish plastic box that is against the bulkhead about on a level with your ashtray,heater. You will need to get down there and look with a torch once familiar. You can remove the few torx headed screws which hold the endcap of this box in place. Inside there is the filter, slide this out.

If the filter is a one piece unit it will not go past your peddles , you can just cut it as its scrap.

Use a vacuum to clean out the box, which is generally full of leaves and stuff. refitt your new two piece filter by putting the top piece in first lifting it up and sliding the second part in below it.

Put everything else back and turn up the blower , feel good about doing the most satisfying DIY job on an e34.

It will take 1 to 2 hours to do this job first time. 1/2 hour the second.  Scraping your knuckles is almost compulsory though. 

Good Luck

Thanks shapetoshoot! Very comprehensive reply, am sure others will use it as I've been looking on the web & not found anything as good as yours! Nice one.

However, I undid the under-trim panel which has the ducting channel attached to it, but I couldn't remove the bloody thing as the duct was hard up against the speaker/kick panel & the bottom of the trim panel doesn't want to release its grip on the pedals, in particular the accelerator pedal - my car is a manual btw!

I could feel the duct come away from the 'heater', but it wouldn't come out with the panel as described above!

I bet its a right PITA to get that panel & duct to relocate properly once the micro-filter is changed!!!

Cheers,
Dave

My 635's.
b8alk View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Andy K

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2005 at 10:19

AGRRRRRRRRRRR

What a bloody job that was ok ive got the dam thing out,and it was black and very clogged

Right how do i get the new one back in, (no dont laugh untill youve changed one) does it just fit back into the hole or does it fit/slide a long a channel?? i had so much grief trying to get the old one out ,in the end i just pulled and pulled untill it came out , so now i dont know if it was sitting in a channel or just pushed into the space provided.

These are a bloody nightmare to do for the first time,but i can see how it will be easyer 2nd time around (less skin to come off)

Edited by b8alk
UKDaveJ View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2005 at 11:45
My E34 520i is booked into the local auto-a/c place next Monday for a re-gas, so I popped in at lunchtime & enquired if he would change the pollen filter if I supplied it at the same time.......!

Er, yes he says. How much I say? He says about 10.00 GBP.....

So I'm leaving it (cue chicken noises etc.....) until then & he can do it.
He says they are a bit of a sod, but he's done loads....!
Incidentally he reckons that many BMW dealers avoid doing these on E34's unless they absolutely have to.....

Just thought I'd add that!

Edited by UKDaveJ
My 635's.
dangerous100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2005 at 12:23

do all e34's have pollen filters or just those with ac?  as i haven't even looked if mine has or not.

bryan

93 540ia,superchip,k+n panel filter and nitrous.118000miles
jay525t View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2005 at 13:12
Mine has and i haven't got a/c
UKDaveJ View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2005 at 14:14
Originally posted by dangerous100 dangerous100 wrote:

do all e34's have pollen filters or just those with ac?  as i haven't even looked if mine has or not.

bryan

Probably!

If you get plenty of fresh air through your vents & loads more when you turn the fan speed up chances are yours isn't too blocked.

According to the bosch website, their filters clean the air 100%, so any crap you've got coming in (even from your footwells) will find its way into the filter, as will dog-hair etc.

HTH
Dave
My 635's.
b8alk View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Andy K

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2005 at 14:34

Originally posted by UKDaveJ UKDaveJ wrote:

My E34 520i is booked into the local auto-a/c place next Monday for a re-gas, so I popped in at lunchtime & enquired if he would change the pollen filter if I supplied it at the same time.......!

Incidentally he reckons that many BMW dealers avoid doing these on E34's unless they absolutely have to.....

BUD do you have any better pics of your six`s?,would love to see them in better detail

UKDaveJ View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2005 at 14:49
Originally posted by b8alk b8alk wrote:

Originally posted by UKDaveJ UKDaveJ wrote:

BUD do you have any better pics of your six`s?,would love to see them in better detail

You asked....

Funny, I've got loads of pics of my 89 Highline, but can't find many uploaded pics of my 84 car. Must correct that at some point!

Dave
My 635's.
jay525t View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2005 at 16:09

HMMMMMM YUM

do like them

b8alk View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Andy K

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2005 at 17:51

That dark csi is the nuts fella,did you do the work your self? have you had them long?

Top motors

shapetoshoot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2005 at 19:55

AGRRRRRRRRRRR

What a bloody job that was ok ive got the dam thing out,and it was black and very clogged

Right how do i get the new one back in, (no dont laugh untill youve changed one) does it just fit back into the hole or does it fit/slide a long a channel?? i had so much grief trying to get the old one out ,in the end i just pulled and pulled untill it came out , so now i dont know if it was sitting in a channel or just pushed into the space provided.

These are a bloody nightmare to do for the first time,but i can see how it will be easyer 2nd time around (less skin to come off)

B8

It sounds like you have a one piece filter. GSF ECP will happily sell these but they are for LHD cars. The two piece (split along the length) are much easier to fit. Whichever sort you have(good luck if its one piece) will just sit inside the box , fixing the end cap on the housing positions and holds the filter correctly.

Dave

Sorry I couldnt be more detailed about the under dash panel removal, the description was from memory. Next time Im in that area I will update, I think im pretty good at changing these now, but if somewhere i trusted said they would do it for a £10 I'd pay.!!

Edited by shapetoshoot
UKDaveJ View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2005 at 02:57

That dark csi is the nuts fella,did you do the work your self? have you had them long?

Top motors

The dark 635csi Highline is  Diamond black metallic, the green 635csi is Opal green metallic.
Have had the green one longer than the black one.
I do most mechanical work myself, bodywork  I don't tend to touch.
You need deep pockets if you run these through dealer shops etc....!
Cheers
My 635's.
b8alk View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Andy K

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2005 at 03:41
Originally posted by shapetoshoot shapetoshoot wrote:

AGRRRRRRRRRRR

B8

It sounds like you have a one piece filter. GSF ECP will happily sell these but they are for LHD cars. The two piece (split along the length) are much easier to fit. Whichever sort you have(good luck if its one piece) will just sit inside the box , fixing the end cap on the housing positions and holds the filter correctly.

Dave

Sorry I couldnt be more detailed about the under dash panel removal, the description was from memory. Next time Im in that area I will update, I think im pretty good at changing these now, but if somewhere i trusted said they would do it for a £10 I'd pay.!!

If i had someone offer to do this job for me for a £10 i would be thinking that he`s either one very silly man or he has no idea what he`s in for, plus i would be very weary that the job was/is done correctly ,there a pig to do plus the air con evaporator sits in with that filter and is very easily damaged if that filter is not removed/refitted correctly, and you would proberly never know until its to late, just be careful fella, bmw charge accordingly to fit these filters and thats only if they really have to do them and i now know why. 

UKDaveJ View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2005 at 08:15
Thanks for the thoughts B8, these guys are good, they were recommended to me & the chap I spoke to has done these loads of times.
The car is in for a re-gas & system check-over etc, so the work will be under guarantee.
Dave
My 635's.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic