Forum LockedDirectional Tyres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Directional Tyres
    Posted: 17-June-2005 at 04:04

Hello all.

I posted a question on an advanced driving forum I use regarding directional tyres.

I have been answered by an officious traffic copper that it would appear would nick his own grandmother.

http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=211

I am surprised by his answer of you can't fit a directional tyre rotating in the wrong direction, as I'd been advised by my tyre supplier that the directional part has nothibng to do with the construction of the tyre, but just its ability to disperse water.

I've e-mailed uniroyal but as yet have no answer from then.

Loads of you must have this problem, where if PC nickeverything is correct, you only have a spare for two wheels, and would be stuck if one of the remaining two was punctured.

Anyone come across this before ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2005 at 04:31
Nigel,

I haven't come across that fine point of law before but as friend of mine is a professional tyre  person and recommends that you have the spare fitted for the nearside use as that is the side that has the vast majority of puntures. That way you swing the odds into your favour.

re the direction thing as was noted on the other forum, the direction bit is for water dispersement only.

if that was the only thing they could get you for then your driving and your car would both be of a very high standard.
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2005 at 04:37

I find it dificult to believe, but that doesn't mean it isn't true, that I could have a stupid space saver, but can't drive with the rotation the wrong way round on a full tyre.

After that horrific head on bump I had in my old 5 series, I know how closely my car was examinied, so like to know the rules, although I'm not keen on the answer I'm getting on this one.

Best Wishes

Nigel

JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2005 at 04:49
Maybe the answer is to put a non directional tyre on the spare so that it can be used on both sides. At least it would be a full size tyre rather than a space saver.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2005 at 04:52

Possibly, but then you would be mixing directional and non directional on the same axle.

I would expect that to be a no no too.

Best Wishes

Nigel

JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2005 at 05:08

True but are we not doing that anywhay when putting on a spacesaver?

I would image that a full size non directional tyre is safe than a space saver.

Does it not come down to a question of which is the lesser evil:

1) Using a non directional tyre with a directional tyre on the other side on the same axle or

2)using a directional tyre the wrong way around with a correct one on the other side of the same axle?

My understanding of using a directional tyre the wrong way around is that it would have the car handling like an old bus. Therefore I would presume that it would be safer to a full size non directional tyre.

Edited by JohnH
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2005 at 05:16

The Engineer in me tells me to stay away from rotational tyres.  They are not flexible when it comes to evening out tyre wear and of course when you get a puncture.

I scrapped a rotational tyre on my E39 even though it still had excellent tread left.  It was an unknown make to me so I wasn't even happy having on the car in the first place let alone the fact that it was rotational specific.

I wouldn't mix even make of tyres between axle an or front rear.  All four tyres should be the same make and type at all four corners on your barge.

Remember a tyre is all that keeps you on the black stuff so don't mess about with them by fitting cheap nasty different tyres.  don't mess about with your safety!

My E39 is shod with four identical tyres and that's the way it will stay!

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2005 at 05:18

I'm not sure, the law is a funny thing, the motor trade have obviously gotten some exemptions for the space saver.

My tyre people assure me I wouldn't notice any difference with the tyre rotating in the wrong direction, especially for a short journey until the correct one is repaired, but that doesn't mean its legal.

What worries me is the very close inspection of my car after that accident, as the other driver was uninsured, the MIB had my car inspected very closely, obviously with the view to denying me payment.

If I can get an e-mail from Uniroyal saying, for example, that its fine as long as I only drive at 50 mph or whatever, then I imagine I would be covered, but until then it looks like if you have directional tyres on an older car you are stuffed, a space saver wouldn't be type approved for my car.

Best Wishes

Nigel

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2005 at 05:56
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

I posted a question on an advanced driving forum I use regarding directional tyres. I have been answered by an officious traffic copper that it would appear would nick his own grandmother.

.....Bit heavy wasn't he?

But I just love the fact that he has no idea what tyres he's got fitted to his own Police Vehicle!!
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2005 at 06:25
Sounds to me, having read the thread, that the police (or at least those posting on the Advanced Driving Forum) have no idea of the law regarding directional or space-saver tyres. Either that, or the law makes no provision, directly, merely grouping under "Improper Use of a Tyre" (like using it for a swing, perhaps?)

However, that doesn't really surprise me...IME the police have a fairly rudimentary grasp of the law and prefer to put their own interpretation on a situation if they think they can hoodwink the public into accepting the police view at face value.

Pays to ask under what exact regulation you are being investigated/prosecuted under or what sectio of which law they are invoking...Then it is a simple matter of looking it up...
Sad to say, but NEVER TRUST A COPPER....
1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
Badger 540 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2005 at 17:46

I was told by a tyre fitter (while he was putting some Yokohama directional tyres on for me) that a guy had run a pair of directional tyres backwards, which had worn out in under 2000 miles.

There does seem to be more than water dispersion to take into account. Interestingly the new Michelin Pilot Sports that I have on my front wheels are a diffferent tread pattern to the original PS and are assymmetric, so can run either way.

Andy

Badger540      West Midlands
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2005 at 05:32

I always though the direction issue was down to water dispersion.

I get round the spare issue by having a non directional tyre fitted to the spare. It is however a 15" steel wheel since a 16" alloy with a 225 tyre wouldn't fit in the wheel well.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
George91 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2005 at 07:47

I would prefer to use a bald spare that was a bit underpressure than a spacesaver, but spacesaver is the only legal one, spacesavers are just a drive a few miles home idea, and most punctures seem to happen miles from home in p***ing rain and darkness, OH yes perfect to use a spacesaver NOT !!!!

Catch me if you can ??
Badger 540 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2005 at 08:58
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

I always though the direction issue was down to water dispersion.

I get round the spare issue by having a non directional tyre fitted to the spare. It is however a 15" steel wheel since a 16" alloy with a 225 tyre wouldn't fit in the wheel well.

My Dad has a 17" spare for his E36. It would be proud of the boot carpet level (as the tyre is wider) except you can get some replacement trim parts from the dealers which raise the carpet height. End of problem.

Andy

Badger540      West Midlands

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2005 at 09:20
Originally posted by Badger 540 Badger 540 wrote:

My Dad has a 17" spare for his E36. It would be proud of the boot carpet level (as the tyre is wider) except you can get some replacement trim parts from the dealers which raise the carpet height. End of problem.

That's fair enough but why pay out for these replacement trim parts?

If I get a pucture the first thing I would do would be to drive to a tyre place and get a new one fitted. Driving for a few miles on a 15" steel wheel wouldn't bother me.

On top of this it will reduce the boot space. Not an issue if it is a second car, but mine isn't and I find the boot size (and lack of folding rear seats!) an inconvenience as it is. 

Finally my car has optional 16" wheels (15s were standard) Would it have come with a 16" spare alloy? if not, if it had the standard 15" alloys fitted would it have come with an alloy wheel spare?

micky_h View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2005 at 12:06
I've got a 17 in the back of the M3 and that certainly doesnt stand proud of the carpet.

Don't quote me on this but I'm sure that the full size spare was an option,although on a 15 it might have been standard.Mind you someone on here is bound to know for sure.
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 06:55
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Possibly, but then you would be mixing directional and non directional on the same axle.

I would expect that to be a no no too.

I raised this query a while back and my tyre fitter said the directionals were worth the effort when running wide low profile tyres which have often been associated with increased risk of aqua-planing. The directional tyres aparently sort this. I've never had a problem with my goodyears even when I've seen a deep patch of water running across the road and prepared for the worst.

He recommended using an assymetrical tyre from the same manufacturer as your main wheels and didn't want to comment on how fitting the tyre backwards would affect handling, braking, wear or wet weather response - his reply was a flat NO. 

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 10:55

Some things to bear in mind -

a) directionals the wrong way will run hotter as the friction increases and wear faster.

b) the E36 and E46 M3's have 7.5" front rims and 8.5" rear rims.

With a full size spare for point B which would you carry?  Surely you can't mix rim widths on the axle???

IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 11:50
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Some things to bear in mind -

a) directionals the wrong way will run hotter as the friction increases and wear faster.

b) the E36 and E46 M3's have 7.5" front rims and 8.5" rear rims.

With a full size spare for point B which would you carry?  Surely you can't mix rim widths on the axle???

E34 runs 17x235 on 8j's at the front and 17x 255 on 9j's at the rear, I was told to have a 235 spare 'cos the 255 would rub if fitted to the front. Re: mixing rim widths I think it's a case of not acting the maggot when running on your spare, otherwise there'd have been a different solution provided by BMW.

BTW, does anyone know what were the OEM tyres for the E34 M5's?

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 12:01

Originally posted by Derek M5 Derek M5 wrote:

Re: mixing rim widths I think it's a case of not acting the maggot when running on your spare

Never heard that phrase before. Acting the maggot.Big Smile

When all is said and done your spare should be used to get you to the nearest tyre place that stocks a replacement.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic