Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCar won’t start. Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car won’t start. Help!
    Posted: 15-May-2003 at 00:42
I went to start my car today (88 M3) after sitting for a few winter months and it would not start. It turned over a few times but wouldn't start. Now when I turn the key it doesn't turn over and I hear this ratatatat sound from the engine. I had taken the battery out of the car while it was parked and all the electrics seem to work so I don't think it's the battery. I also tried to jump start it and got the same result. Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

TIA
Sponsored Links

Ratbark View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2003 at 00:55

The ratatatatatat noise you can here is the starter motor solenoid, and going by what you have said I reckon the battery is past it's best. Get another battery, take the spark plugs out, and crank it over for a few seconds. while the plugs are out, give them a clean, and put them back.

The other problem you might have is that the fuel that has been sat in the tank has gone stale. It doesn't matter how long you crank it for, it probably wont start, so I would also drain the tank and put in some fresh stuff.

That will mostly likely cure it.

Regards

Mark

'89 E30 M3, '89 325i Touring(red), '89 325i Touring(silver), '99 Suzuki TL1000R, '65 VW Splitty SO42
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic