FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAir Con whirring noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Con whirring noise
    Posted: 02-June-2005 at 10:02

Ok folks your starter for 10,

318ise manual Dec 2001 face lift model

when the snowflake button is switched on you can hear the sound of the presumably what is the fan whirring to the revs of the engine only does it now and then and only when air con turned on any ideas? i.e more reves applied louder fan becomes (or noise). Hmmm
thanks

Sponsored Links

scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2005 at 09:06
Not had this just when the aircon is on but my 328 does it when the engine is warm, I assumed that it is the cooling fan for the engine.  The aircon will put more load on the engine when it is on (as far as I understand) so that might trigger it earlier with a smaller engine.  As I say, mine's always had a whooshing sound linked to revs when pulling away in hotter weather so I doubt there's anything to worry about. 
AndyC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2005 at 08:17

Does the aircon work? The compressor is belt driven via a clutch. If the compressor's knackered they often made a horrible (quite loud) noise when the aircon's switched on and stop when you turn it off - cos the clutch then disengages it. Had a Scorpio once that did exactly this. The noise was more than annoying though.

If the aircon's still working it could be the compressor bearings or the clutch itself, don't know how repairable these are.

A bit of noise from the compressor is normal, and you'll hear it click in when you switch the aircon on, accompanied by a momentary drop in engine revs as the load's taken up.

If it's still working and you can put up with the noise i'd leave it be - if it fails altogether you'll know about it. Without hearing it it's hard to say whether it's normal or not!

EvoDude View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Zymol + Optimax Rock!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2005 at 02:54

Originally posted by rainyday rainyday wrote:

Ok folks your starter for 10,

318ise manual Dec 2001 face lift model

when the snowflake button is switched on you can hear the sound of the presumably what is the fan whirring to the revs of the engine only does it now and then and only when air con turned on any ideas? i.e more reves applied louder fan becomes (or noise). Hmmm
thanks

This is the cooling fan for the conensor which is at the front of your engine. This fan does not work unless the air con is switched on. That is the noise you are hearing.

E36 ///M3 Evo - Dyno'd at 323.3 Bhp
Modded. Mint.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic