Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 M3 Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2003 at 23:34

Hi Roops, I have a question for you, and no, I'm not taking the piss or anything!!!

You know how you and quite a few others (like Martin) reckon that big brakes aren't necessary on our cars? (Provided the set up is as good and as thorough as on your car mind you, not just standard E30 M3 brakes). Anyway, if AP Racing approached you and offered you a set of their 4 pot front brakes for free, would you have them then? I'm wondering if you a partly put off by the expense of big brakes you see.

John W
1990 E30 M3 Sport Evo
1990 E30 M3
http://www.bayareamotorsport.com/john_uk/

Sponsored Links

Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2003 at 09:02

I think there`s no doubt they offer an improvement, probably not in outright braking ability but in braking consistency over a number of laps and less brake disk wear. But it comes down to "do you really need it" at £2000 or whatever, when just brake ducts on a std setup removal some of the advantage large brakes have over std ones. And of course if you take the extra weight of large brakes into consideration and also the fact that you will probably need larger heavier wheels too over the much prefered 15" wheels for track use. Having said that, i prefer the handling on 16`s than 15`s with the 205*55 tyres but have yet to try a 50 tyre on a 15

lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2003 at 09:25

JW, I would take them free of charge simply to try them out and satisfy my curiosity. I really want to stay on 15" wheels and most of the big brake kits don't give you that option, I just don't have enough horsepower to turn great big 17" wheels. I think it would be a nil gain game. What I would gain in the braking zones I would lose getting the car out of the corners.

I can't think of a time with the optimised standard setup when I have thought "ohhh sh*t, not enough brakes....." I am fairly sure I could get deeper into the braking zones with big brakes and if I was competing I would probably do the big brake thing.

In the end I think it comes down to personal comfort, if the standard setup gives you palpitations every time you get on the brakes then you need to do something with them. As the M3 is now my second car it leaves me a little room to modify it further. I intend to lose loads of weight from it, which will only help in the stopping department.

Roops

I don't think cost is a huge issue for me,

Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2003 at 09:48

There are options which allow you to retain 15" wheels... but for example with AP this is only possible running with spacers which is not a desired option for many.

The cost is an issue to me in so much as attempting to decide which modifications to the car would give the best relative performance increase per £ (does that make sense)....  i.e with a standard car would I like to spend £1400 on brakes or on bigger cams, or on coilovers etc etc...

I liked the idea of bigger brakes but have to confess I've not found the limit of my standard ones (using ferodo pads) so would rather spend the money elsewhere for now.

I'm no expert but isn't another reason for uprating brakes (aside from braking performance) a consideration of unsprung vehicle weight?

Tom

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2003 at 10:09

Tom,

If we are talking about track performance, then a car with well setup suspension will spank far more powerful cars with compromised suspension. Think of it this way. If the maximum speed of your car was only 100mph but you didn't have to slow down for any corners you would drive off into the distance.

I think what your getting at in the unsprung weight department is weight transfer. Heavier cars have greater weight transfer when you step on the anchors, all that energy is turned into heat when the brakes come on. Larger brakes will be able to handle greater quantities of heat as they have a larger surface area (bigger disks) with which to disperse it. Reducing the weight of the car fundamentally has the same effect as fitting larger brake disks. The improvement in reducing braking distances comes from larger pad areas offered by multiple piston calipers.

Roops

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2003 at 10:11

Roops

Where did you get the G88? gona give em a try as need to changed them, hopefully for Sunday as off to Keilder, if i can't get them by then i'll get a lift with Gary.

Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2003 at 10:54
I don't have the G88's I run the std Evo Sport disks. I was one of the other posters who had them. I wanted to try the carbon metallic jobbies Tarox do, but haven't bought any yet.
Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2003 at 14:17

Well it was following our curry house post Brands discussion on suspension that I decided the next job on my car will not be engine based (read Carbon Airbox & Motec or equivalent) but will in fact be Leda/Camber plates.

I recognise that I'm nowhere close to using the power I already (235) have effectively with my current setup...

Increasing track experience will make the biggest difference to my times though methinks.

I'm not sure how much if any difference unsprung weight makes on cars at thislevel, but I understood that lower unsprung weight effectively improved the time (due to momentum) in which the shocks and thus keep the tyres incontact with the road more of the time (huge over-simplification by me I suspect) - call me sad but I find all this stuff quite interesting!

Tom-H

John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2003 at 14:21
Cheers Roops.
John W
1990 E30 M3 Sport Evo
1990 E30 M3
http://www.bayareamotorsport.com/john_uk/

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2003 at 15:34

Tom, if you like all that stuff. The book "How to make your car handle" by Fred Puhn is a good read. The technical sections about roll centres, unsprung weight etc. help you understand why certain cars work better than others ie. double wishbone v mcpherson strut.

Roops

Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2003 at 09:04
cheers.. will look it up
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2003 at 12:23

Tom,I have a copy if you want to borrow it.

Jon

Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2003 at 13:07

Hmm.. please, that would be great, thanks Jon.

I'll get it on the 28th if I don't see you before... thanks again

m3geezer View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2003 at 10:02
on the subject of brakes, dave gamble has just fitted some very nice 6 pot hi-spec brakes that came in i think at around £1000 not fitted, his car is up at bexleys for a few days i think while they get his 2 litre race engine going, should be interesting to see this car go.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2003 at 12:23

Hi, just been back from Germany. I have seen some very promising low cost brake solutions to fit 15" rims. Will keep you posted if I have the first test results.

Uwe

E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2003 at 22:56

Have you checked Gustave's site Tom? There's plenty of great info

http://e30m3performance.com/index.html

TMS do a 4 pot caliper set up that will fit under 15" I believe. They're suppose to be pretty good.

" There is a difference from living and being alive!"
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2003 at 12:41
They look to be very good value and  few comments from the guys across the pond who use them seem pretty positive.
Phil-C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Ex E30 M3 owner...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2003 at 14:56

I have been following this thread with some interest as I have shortly to replace mine (pads & disks) I was going to continue with the mintex fast road pads as they have suited my driving up till now (no  track use though - life always manages to get in the way... ) but I was going to go for grooved disks (G88's due to board members experience).

Questions I have are: is it worth getting grooved disks on the rear aswell?

and why are 15" rims favoured? I had noticed that all track prep'd cars tend to run them and again people here seem to prefer them, but I wondered why, as I would have thought that a lower sidewall (as on a 16") would provide less tyre deformation on turn-in etc.  Or have I missed something?

Any answers would be welcome.

Thanks.

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2003 at 15:01

4 pots would be great, but would the pressure not create more heat? What discs would be able to handle the extra temps? or am i missing the point? $799 is not bad, but the shipping costs would be another $100 or so, still cheaper than the AP's etc.

Got the G88's to replace the zimmermans so see how these go.

Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2003 at 20:27
The reason the track guys like 15" firstly the tyres are cheaper, but the main reason I think is that  lighter is better.

Your car has to move mass in order to go. The more mass the more HP it takes. Another problem is where this mass is. With a bigger rim it moves the mass out more this needs more HP to get it moving.

Think of a weight of a piece of rope. Let say you a 1 lb weight in a  1 foot piece of rope and swing it around your head, now put the same weight on a 3 ft piece of rope and it will take much more effort to swing the rope. Exactly the same principal with wheels, the further out the weight the harder it is to get it moving, hense slower acceleration.

" There is a difference from living and being alive!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic