FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 M3 Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E30 M3 Brakes
    Posted: 13-May-2003 at 17:55

These are the down fall to this amazing motor. I was traking mine last year with standard pads and discs. These were warping at the end of the pit straight at Knockhill. After some research i have opted for the Zimmerman x-drilled discs all roung and Hawk HP Plus street and ATE super blue. (i would prefer 4 pots, but want to keep the vehicle standard looking)

After one track day evening at Knockhill with 3 20 min sessions this setup never once failed and actually improved the hotter they got. They also work very well on the road as well. If you need an upgraded without having the dosh for 4 pot setup try these.

Happy Braking

Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
Sponsored Links

lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2003 at 18:43

I fear you may be in for an unpleasant surprise, fairly soon. Cross drilled disks will eventually crack between the holes. Seen it happen to just about everyone I know who has tried them for track use. The enemy is heat, brake ducting helps big time with the e30 m3. It is the weakest part of the car, but can be made to work fine for track use.

1. Re-build calipers (They must be 10 years old, at least)

2. Run proper brake fluid - SRF, Motul, AP Racing, ATE

3. Use standard BMW supplied EVO Sport disks

4. Use good quality pads - Ferodo, Mintex, Hawk - In semi/race compound

5. Get some ducting to the disks - The bimmerworld kit works very well

6. Stainless hoses

M3Moose View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2003 at 20:05

Yeah, can back up lancelotII, cross drilled fronts not recommended. Mine went at the 'Ring, lucky to drop on a set of standard discs so play resumed.

jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2003 at 20:11

Is there any scarey stories on grooved discs?! Hope not as may have a chance of a gooning day with ones Sport Evo on Groovey discs and pagid fast road pads...

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2003 at 20:52

2 years road use no problems, 3 sessions in Oulton Park with Ferodo 2500 and that's the result. I am running Zimmermann plain disks now.

E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2003 at 09:33

I did look into this and there are manufactures who supplied drilled discs. The holes were drilled after the disc had been manufactured, thus weakening the disc. Zimmermans have the holes cast into the disc when being manufactured.

Also Turner motorsport in the US supply much for autocrossing and they state it the only x-drilled discs they supply as they have bben tested. Anyway I'll see how they go as i only use the car for 5 track days. They was another manufacture i was looking at who treated their discs at higher temps or something to be with the discs handling more heat.

Does anyone know if any 4 pot caliper kits fit with the 16" wheel set up as i want to keep the car standard looking?

Toby

Kev-G View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2003 at 10:20

215m3,

I have found the same as UweM3, but on other cars, that cross-drilling weakens the disc and makes it far more prone to cracking - Whether or not they are cast into the disc they are still going to be the weakest point.

I also find that the option listed by lancelotII is the best way forward (without going to 4-pots etc.).  On my track 205Mi16 I run quality std. discs with Ferodo DS3000 pads - NO fade, but the downside is alot of dust (with what appears to be a high metal content, so not really suitable for use on the road - They would kill your wheels).

My E30 M3 has drilled discs (on when I bought) which will be replaced soon with std. (once killed @ Knockhill!!).

Regards,

Kev-G.

PS What TrackDays do you do @ Knockhill?  Are you going to the Crail day on 31st May?

Jonmurgie View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2003 at 10:26
I've got the good old Tarox G88's on the front of mine... I've heard amazing things about these discs on other cars but an yet to try them out with some aggression on a track... June 20th @ Kemble will see how they fair! I'm going to be running them with standard front pads but as I don't have my car back from PowerStation yet I don't know what they will be like at all yet!

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2003 at 10:29
Are the Tarox ones you have the carbon metallic jobbies. I was wondering if these were any better than the standard disks.
Jonmurgie View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2003 at 10:53

Just think they are the standard G88's really... didn't know they came in different materials?

"G88 - High performance disc with 40 grooves machined onto the braking surface. This deglazes the pad and expels gasses that build up between the disc and pad during braking. As a result brake fade is significantly reduced. The slotted disc also dissipates heat more effectively, thus reducing the risk of disc deformation, vibration or cracking under the extreme operating temperature. These discs are ideal for competition use or where fast road conditions allow. "

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2003 at 12:23

Kev-G

I am going up to crail on the 31 May, but not tracking.

I track at Knockhill with a chap who organises it mainly for Porsche's, which seem to have x-drilleds as standard, but they don't seem to have cracked from what i've heard. The next event is 28 May starting at 5.30pm with track action from 6pm. Booking is in advance but i think this event is always over subscribed so not sure if there are any spaces. It great to see this car mixing it with the 968 cs's and 964 and 993 through the twisty bits at Knockhill. i popped in too see the last top marques track day but it was just elises and type r's so not the same atmosphere at the one i attend. If you go i am normally the only e30 m3 and is red.

The hawk pads i'm using are fairly high metal pads and keep biting the harder they are pushed. I have all of lancelotII setup bar the discs and ducts, as i'm wanting to keep the standard look.

Toby

Kev-G View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2003 at 12:45

215m3,

I'm trying to get hold of the guy for the Porsche tracknight @ the moment - See if I can blag a space - I went up last time (a couple of guys from work attend), and was itching to take the BM on (I've done trackdays for 10 yrs. in primarily 205Mi16's) - Finally popped it's cherry @ a Knockhill Season Ticket holders night....:-)

I'm also looking @ going to Crail - Not so sure on that one....

Cheers,

Kev-G

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2003 at 12:58

Kev-G

The Guy you need to speak with is Ian Griffiths at Kirby vacuum cleaners in glasgow. yell pages has the number. The lady that answers the phone will know about the track days. It is only limited to 35 cars for each event.

Good luck

Toby

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2003 at 13:46
@215m3 The pic shows a Zimmermann disk with cast holes.............
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2003 at 14:19

Cheers UweM3

Well i've got them on now so will see how long they last. Knockhill is quite hard on brakes so let this be a test. Next track day is on 28 May so will keep an eye on them. The good thing about these track days is their not all day so they only get 1 hours trashing to hell and back in 3 sessions.

Toby

Kev-G View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2003 at 17:10
Kirby vacuum  cleaners....No wonder he drives a Porsche!!
M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2003 at 14:44

I cracked my front Zimmerman cross drilled discs on the street with EBC greenstuff pads. I still got C/D on the back but  as the doing far less braking and are a solid discs too, I guess thats helped.

I got slotted on the fronts with Pagid fast road pads all round as the EBC where pants!!!!

Been  find on the road , but that might all have changed after Monday at Brands!

" There is a difference from living and being alive!"
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2003 at 21:35

Ok guys give in. At Knockhill tonight and cracked my front discs(zimmermans), though they took some stick with the Hawk HP plus street pads. What discs should i now put on, bearing in mind i don't have ducts and am not fitting them.

Black Diamonds?

Jonmuirge how are the tarrox's holding up?

Brembos?

The evo sport dics, would they work well without the ducts?

Any others?

Gave the porsche's and ferrari's a run for their money though.

Toby

Jonmurgie View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2003 at 22:15

I haven't had my M3 for a month now.. been at PowerStation having some 'stuff' done

I'll le tyou know how the brakes go after my first track day but I've only ever heard great things about G88's on other cars... grooved not drilled so much better than the Zimmermans...

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2003 at 23:17
Standard Evo Sport disks will work OK on unducted cars providing you don't go crazy. Good pads help a lot but ducting really is the answer unless you want to get into the big brake thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic