Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBuying an E34

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying an E34
    Posted: 02-May-2003 at 20:55

I've always loved the E34, and looking around to buy a new car, I realised how ridiculously cheap they are!  Around £5k for a very late N plate 525 model seems very reasonable to me, seeing as that money will buy you a similar age/mile 316 or 318!

I need some advice though, on what to look out for, what to avoid, and just any general help with buying a 525i.  Any tips or links would be most welcome.

Gary.

Sponsored Links

Gecka79 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2003 at 00:38
oh, and some guides to running costs, ie. MPG, servicing, etc.
Wonkydog View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2003 at 20:46
It's a big heavy car so will punish the brakes, check disc/pad wear. Rear subframes bushes are prone to perishing (check handling around corners) not a big or expensive job to change. Electrics are ok apart from central locking motors which do play dead after a while. If air con is fitted check for operation, make sure you get COLD air not just air. There's not a lot of room under the bonnet so heat build up can be up problem-check the state of all the rubber hoses and pipes as they go hard and crack after a few years(particular attention to the fuel hoses, I had a split with fuel leak) Bodywork and trim are solid, panels were fully galvanised so there should be zero rust, check for accident damage. Hope this helps.
Wonkydog View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2003 at 20:56
Running costs were ok, if you want the genuine article for spares then go to BMW, Ching Ching (cash register noise), but German and Swedish, Euro car parts or others can supply similar quality parts for a lot less cash. MPG was good got nearly thirty to the gallon ( depends on driving style of course ) car will sit at at high motorway speeds all day without complaint, a bit tail happy on B roads in the wet though! Nice and quiet inside car feels really solid.
ultimate beemer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2003 at 21:54
hi just to say that i've got my bmw for sale it's a 520i mreg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic