Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE34 5 Series - Should he buy it ?!!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E34 5 Series - Should he buy it ?!!?
    Posted: 01-May-2003 at 12:32

A mate of mine is considering buying an F reg, 525i, manual. He has taken it for a test drive, looked under the bonnet etc & has come up with the following queries:

A slight smell of petrol under the oil cap but the oil is nice and black and thick with no gunk. The coolant is completely fine and clear.

Engine ticks over quietly and at a good speed with a good clear smoke out the exhaust.

Secondly, When driving there is a slight whirling noise on hard acceleration from the passenger foot well. It's not mechanical more of a pressure like release like when pumping the brake.

One more question. Do they all have remote entry as this one is only a key and if so can a new remote be bought? Any ideas on how much?

Your comments would be most appreciated??

Sponsored Links

Xeus View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2003 at 11:32

I cant say I know much about the mechanics of the vehicle, although I did recently test drive one myself.

I can say that these cars had immobilisers since 1992 and the one I drive was a 1996 and only came with a key as well. Heres some more info.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/car_reviews/main_review.asp?model_id=316

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2003 at 23:01

I have an F redg 525i manual.

Cant imagine what the whirring is, the only sound I've had like that was a mudflap catching a tyre.

Mine is a key only, remote locking was an extra, more likely to be found on an SE, (special equipment).

The coolant being clear is a bit worrying, it should be coloured, not clear, mine has just had a head replacement due to coolant eating it away, and I'm told just plain water would do the same damage.

It would be worth having it pressure tested just to make sure no exhaust gasses are escaping through the cooling system, I'd had mine a year before I had any problems, so I have no complaints.

Otherwise they are a lovely car to drive, a bit prone to steering problems, play in box etc, and obviously expect to spend a bit of money on it, as its quite old.

how much is he looking to pay for it ? Anything over £800 or so, and it should be absolutely immaculate.

If you know a friendly local mechanic, might be worth paying an hours labour just to have him check it over, the oil should obviously be a nice brown colour, so that hasnt been changed for a while.

Also worth checking when the timing belt was last changed, if nobody knows, then get it changed.

As my old dad would say, "they are ten a penny", so if your not happy, have another look around, loads of them out there.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic