Forum LockedGovernment departments...mmmmm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Government departments...mmmmm
    Posted: 20-April-2005 at 07:44
Almost every day you hear those political types banging on about all those benefit cheats and the money not claimed for benefits.  This morning, after 4 weeks tussling so far, I have now heard it all.

Since 1992 I have been in receipt of a disability benefit, given to me for 'life'.  Simple enough, don't you believe it.  Made a phone call 4 weeks ago to let this dept know that there has been a change of circumstances.

"We don't have you on our books as receiving anything from this dept, sorry"

hmmmmm...OK.  Called local office.

"We don't have any record of you being on benefit before 2003"

hmmmmm....now trying not to lose temper.

Four weeks down the line, many calls to/from both offices we are getting closer to sorting this mess out....maybe.

Appears the Isle of Wight office deleted instead of archiving my records prior to 2003 and to add insult to injury they were supposed to pay me an extra £45 a week from 1998-02...they didn't. 

So now we still have no records prior to 2003 at one dept, records from 1992-present at the other.  But cos I can't prove I didn't get the money owed and they can't prove they didn't pay it we are all quietly having a nervous breakdown for another week while we await written confirmation from one dept to reach the other before the money owed can be released.

So far the IOW office have blamed 'computer errors'...yeah right, more likely they knew they hadn't paid me what they should have and are hiding the evidence.

Sorry but if I was an asylum seeker, this would never of happened.  You get told to claim and when you do, they muck it up.

Whoever wins the next election I do hope they know the difference tween their left and right hands and they shake up the departments and offices that can't seem to do the job they are supposed to do.

I have a damn good mind to demand compensation for this cock-up.
October 2-6 2008 - Houston, Texas - Long Distance Wedding
March 15-April 1 2009 - Transatlantic Cruise
October 10-25 2009 - China, Korea, Taiwan & Japan Cruise
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 09:26

£45 a week for several years is quite a bit of cash. I hope they sort it out and pay you it soon.

The problem with departments like these is that they don't exactly attract the cleverest people. Lets face it how many people aspire to work for the DSS or which ever department it is that handles this sort of stuff. It's only one step up from flipping burgers Big Smile

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 09:36
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

The problem with departments like these is that they don't exactly attract the cleverest people. Lets face it how many people aspire to work for the DSS or which ever department it is that handles this sort of stuff. It's only one step up from flipping burgers

And if its a government department, do they say..

"And would you like lies with that?"
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 10:00
My one fear over all this mess is that cos no-one can prove what has been paid and what hasn't, they will try and refuse to pay anything, seeing as the amount could be as much as £9k. Not a happy thing to have to admit to, is it. If they do agree to paying me what was supposed to be paid, then someone could well lose their job, but I'm afraid that if they can't do their job right, then they shouldn't be there in the first place.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 10:06
Didn't you get remittance advice slips every time you recieved a payment?
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 10:14
Originally it was by weekly book til the system changed this year and goes straight into an account. The book didn't have record of when or how much was paid once the money was recieved. DSS policy also meant that as each book ran out they were only kept on record for 3 yrs and then destroyed. The last known book on record is August 2003, after the time this extra amount was supposed to have been added...June 98 thru Aug 2002.

So no, there are no records due to them being 'lost' or 'deleted' at source...IOW DSS office. I have now brought in the local MP who is up for re-election next month, see if he can sort this out...might earn him a few brownie points if he can. The local office here at York have been brilliant as have the Blackpool office who dealt with the original claim from 92 and who have now confirmed in writing that extra money should have been paid 98-02.

The fly in the ointment is the office on the IOW who are currently refusing to return calls or give a contact name to either myself, the York office or the Blackpool office. We are all of the opinion now that they have something to hide and are refusing to co-operate as a result.

Hopefully we should have a clearer picture of whats happening next week....maybe.

Edited by Goldryder
Praktisk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 11:45

They have to keep paper records of everything (alongside computer) for at least ten years, So if they REALLY wanted to find it, they could, just means sifting through the archives).

Computer error cannot be blamed, as even if it was deleted, your data would be held on a period-end, write protected backup tape somewhere (also got to be kept vaulted for ten years).

If I were you, and you dont think you are getting anywhere, then I would go and see my MP. and if they dont help, go and see the opposition MP.

There is no excuse for this sort of behaviour, the CSA is a classic example of government departments making major cock-ups ... And they always seem to think they can use "computer error" as the excuse ...

"Only The Tyres Are Allowed To Smoke!" -- 2001 330ci Sport (man) - "Oh This Is a Saga Now!" -- E46 Section Remote CCTV Solutions
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 11:52
Apparently, for reasons unknown, the Dept of Work and Pensions only archive active claims for 3 years. Any records prior to 3 yrs old are deleted. Very helpful in these circumstances. However, I have made a formal complaint of incompetence regarding the IOW office which they have to reply to by law.

If Government depts can't get things right or admit they have cocked up then is it any surprise that us mere mortals try and evade blame when we can.

One thing is certain, if I had been overpaid £9k, you can bet your life they would be camped out on my doorstep, cap in hand waiting for it.
eta. View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 12:29
Seems strange that a business or individual have to keep tax records etc for 6 years, but a government dept can delete after 3!!
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 12:31
Its got something to do with it being a Government Dept....they can move the goalposts as often as they like and to where they like...and get away with it every time.
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 12:32
Originally posted by Goldryder Goldryder wrote:

....One thing is certain, if I had been overpaid £9k, you can bet your life they would be camped out on my doorstep, cap in hand waiting for it.

Err, not exactly. But you might have been summoned to an interview at your local DWP orifice by the area fraud investigator..... and "invited" to suggest ways of paying it all back.....

What are your chances of claiming a backdated payment for the increased portion that they were meant to have paid you?

Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 12:40
Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

What are your chances of claiming a backdated payment for the increased portion that they were meant to have paid you?

After speaking to the claim advisor in York today, she is as infuriated as I am over this, mainly cos she has the job of sorting it all out. The Blackpool office authorised payment for the 98-02 payment to be made and apparently that still stands as it was not made, so I am assuming/hoping that everything owed will be forthcoming. However, Gov depts being what they are, I am quite prepared for a fight if need be...even if it means obtaining legal backing. The advisor here has told me that once the written confirmation that the claim existed in the higher rate arrives with her she will calculate what needs paying and provided the authorisation is still current, she will make a direct transfer payment accordingly.

The way I feel though is that I will believe it when I see it.
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 12:43

...The way I feel though is that I will believe it when I see it.

If my experience of helping welfare clients is anything to go by, you could be in for a bit of a wait.....

Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 12:49
Well considering I didn't even know I was meant to get the money until a call yesterday and that the local office called today and told me that the Blackpool office had put a stop on all payments, then reinstated again 24hrs later, I think both offices are as confused as each other, the third office (IOW) just won't co-operate in any way, shape or form and I don't mind waiting just as long as this mess gets sorted out properly and I get what is due to me and the IOW office gets a firework or 100 chucked at them.

This is extremely stressful and I'll just be pleased when its all over and done with.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 13:09
If you received the payments to a bank account then you may be able to use bank statement records to back up your position.  If necessary the bank should be able to trace the source of the payment as well as the destination (your bank account).  They should also be able to provide you with copy bank statements if you don't keep them (they probably charge for this service).
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 13:12
The bank has only been on direct payment since January 05. All payments prior to that were by order book cashable at the Post Office and the archive only goes back to the latter part of 03 for those payments.
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 13:26

...the third office (IOW) just won't co-operate in any way, shape or form...

Sounds like you'd have had more chance if you'd been a resident of the Isle of Sheppey....

Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 13:32
We have ways of making the IOW office co-operate, a letter is going to be sent from the local MP to the head of the DWP section that deals with individual office conduct and procedures. Unlike most, if not all offices, the IOW office refuses to give a contact name when you call them, thus there is no continuity in problems such as this one. I also have statements coming from friends and other claimants who have been given the same sort of treatment by the office. The IOW office appears to think that the 7 mile stretch of water between the island and the rest of the country means it can do whatever it likes and get away with it. Well this time the office over there has picked on the wrong person, cos believe me, I will see that office either shut down or completely turned upside down and sorted out, if its the very last thing I ever do. They have no idea how much fury they have unleashed.
Praktisk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 13:37

Say Farewel to your welfair.

Railways records has now been made more than 10 years ... when I woked for the Chamber of Commerce, Im sure it was close to, if not exactly 10yrs (def. more than 5).. I cant beleive they get away with 3 !!!, especially as e.t.a has pointed out, us mere minions are meant to keep ours for 6!!!!

What a joke. (not from were ur standing obviously)

"Only The Tyres Are Allowed To Smoke!" -- 2001 330ci Sport (man) - "Oh This Is a Saga Now!" -- E46 Section Remote CCTV Solutions
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 13:37

....The IOW office appears to think that the 7 mile stretch of water between the island and the rest of the country means it can do whatever it likes and get away with it.

I think you'll find this happens in many if not most public services. It's the result of "investing in kwalitee".....

Quote I will see that office either shut down or completely turned upside down and sorted out....

If you manage the former, this will mean that the few welfare claimants on the IoW will now be faced with a voyage across the Solent every time they want to deal with the DWP.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic