Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 10:03
Originally posted by pma1ums pma1ums wrote:

peter ....

sorry to disagree with you matey ...  but a bmw   isnt that much more expensive to run than a ford. a ford may well be 30 % cheaper to run than a beeemmmer  ..however the 100% satisfaction and driving appeal wins hands down on the 30% saving ....as iam sure you will agree .

When I was looking for my car I was considering 3 cars

Mondeo ST24, BMW323/328, Nissan 200sx.

The BMW was the cheapest to insure although only just, the Nissan the most expensive. However when I contacted the respective dealers to get an idea of servicing the difference in running costs was apparent. The figures are approximate as It was a while ago

ST24, Service interval 10K, Minor service £80, Major service £200

Nissan 200sx, service interval 6k, Minor service £80, intermediate £180, major £250.

BMW328/323, service interval 7-9K, minor service £110, intermediate, £250, major £350+. On top of this brake fluid and coolant are not included in these services and need doing separately.

Ok so I accept that if the Ford turned out to be less reliable then the BMW it could have cost more to maintain, however when I looked into the problems associated with all the above cars the BMW had by far the most. The other problem with the BMW which has become apparent during owner ship is that it is very sensitive to suspension components wearing out. All the cars I have owned Fords included, have had more than 70k on the clock but only the bmw has required new bushes etc to stop it handling like a pig.

Just in case you are wondering, the BMW was a better drive than the st24, and I never drove a 200sx since I was having trouble finding a one with a manual box in my price range.

My advice about buying a BMW would be to drive it hard on the test drive. Mine felt ok when I took it out before buying it. It was only when I was used to it and I started to push a bit harder that I noticed problems.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Sponsored Links

neileg View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 07:23

I agree that BMWs can be cheap to run. Swapped our Pug 306TD for a 94 318iS because of that. The Pug was costing a fortune. A new axle on a 5 year old car for god's sake!

I don't think that £3k is outrageous for the car you are looking at, but it must be mint. Be careful about the front and rear wheel arches. The fronts may be rusting through and bodged, rears not so bad but still may have been bodged. Front mudflaps also cause more problems than they solve. At 93k you engine is due a timing chain tensioner, fairly cheap and easy to fix but a good haggling point. The exhaust manifold may have cracked. Gives a tappetty sort of noise. It can be welded, but it's not a ten minute job. Look out for tired front seats and a loose glove box.

I paid £4k for my 94 car last year, but i got about £2k too much for the Pug, so you could say it only cost £2k, but I knew it had rust in the wheel arches.

Cheers, Neil
pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 03:38

2k    is about right for the car .but if it is a real minter then 2.5 k  could be ok if its an all singing and dancing speced car .but that would be top book price..so haggle like a demon because the dealer knows hes asking £2995.and he also knows it overpriced

the insurance quote [bearing in mind your recent succesfull pass] isnt that bad at all ...but have you tried ..the non mainstream insurers?? adrain flux/dna/carol nash etc etc .. they tend to give a more competive qoute with the same amount of cover... as the big boys brand names.what insurance group is your car????

peter ....

sorry to disagree with you matey ...  but a bmw   isnt that much more expensive to run than a ford. a ford may well be 30 % cheaper to run than a beeemmmer  ..however the 100% satisfaction and driving appeal wins hands down on the 30% saving ....as iam sure you will agree .

its a dogs world out there
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 03:31

Skanders,

If you have just past your test and so have no 'no claims discount' then that insurance quote is reasonable.

Others might disagree but IMO BMWs are expensive cars to maintain. General servicing is more expensive than for makes like Ford and Vauxhall, but then you would expect that. Other running costs will depend on what work has been done on the car recently. the E36 has a few notable problem areas, such as rear z arm bushes wearing out, rear springs snapping etc. If your car has had parts like these replaced in the last few years then you will be OK. If not expect to have to get them sorted. If you go through the main dealer parts are can be expensive. You can get them cheaper through companies like Euro cart pars but theey may not be as high quality as the genuine BMW items.

Whatever you do don't expect to be able to run a BMW on Ford money. It just aint gonna happen. 

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Nick 45 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 03:17

Alright Skanders? I think that price is a bit over the odds unless we're talking about an absolute mint car. Looking around, £2.5k can buy you a 95 model with similar mileage. Have a look on the Autotrader website to get a few examples of this then, if you like the car, go back to the garage with this in mind and an offer of about £2k and a deal of about £2.3k in mind.

An iS for a first car - can't be bad mate.

skanders View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2005 at 02:20
Hi,

The car is being sold at a garage

And that is not my first quote for insurance but it is the cheapest i have found

And i am 24 have no  convictions just passed ma test 11/03/05 and this will be my first car

thanks your help is appreciated
pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2005 at 14:15

is an e36 ??? i think it must being a 92   ..

1]   is being sold at a garage for that amount of or private???

2]  is that your first quote for insurance??  and age or conviction would help too

are running cost for a beemer expensive .......i dont think so ..it does help if the car has a full service book ..has it got one of them up to 92 thou

let us know the answers

and welcome too  

its a dogs world out there
skanders View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2005 at 13:05
Hi,

I just joined the forum I need advice on a car that i amgoing to buy it is a 1992 BMW 318is 2 door coupe with 93,000 miles on it, the car is immaculate in roaring red with 17" alloys and a sports exhaust it is gonna cost me £2,995 I would like to know 2 things.

1. For a 13 year old car is it worth that much

2. The insurance quote I got was good £757 fully comp from norwich union direct is that worth it

and are the running costs of a beamer expensive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic