18 [23.68%]
3 [3.95%]
2 [2.63%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2005 at 18:14
Sad story :-  bright sunny morning , very little traffic on the M-way , nipping along nicely at a steady 80 - 85 , till the very nice people in the "Fife cammera partnership " stick there "oar " in   !!!! In line for fine & points 
Sponsored Links

Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2005 at 20:11
They are very fond of the M90 in Fife, I tend to hover around 65-70 mph just to be entirely sure, but my speed tends to irritate HGV drivers! I'm never in any real blistering hurry so I prefer to cruise. When I do have to push on the speed creeps up to just below 80, but the problem is then watching the speedo all the time and checking the hard shoulder for stripey reflective vans! In times gone past when I was younger and much more silly I would sit at 95 mph all the time, but that was late at night on a deserted road - no excuses though. Edinburgh to Dundee in under 40 minutes, not bad going.
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
E23 the forgotten 80s BMW

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2005 at 08:08

So many cameras & vans everywhere these days, you drive along looking at the speedo and looking at the verge, not looking at the road ahead. and they call it safety

A 3.5 BMW will reach 100 before you realise you are travelling at licence losing speed. must be the momo that blocks the view of the speedo, your honour.

Like Doive I prefer to cruise along these days having been GATSO'd recently. I was driving in a line of traffic just keeping pace with everyone else. these days I obey the 30 & 40 zones, and incur the wrath of following drivers who almost ram you off the road if you stick to the legal limit.

you just can't win these days.

Philip
'86 E23 735iA SE - Polaris - The Silver Surfer
'85 E23 735iA SE - Cosmos Blue - VJ
'86 E28 528iA SE - Dia Black - Helga
'86 E23 728iA SE - Polaris - The CHAV mobile
rubberknees50 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Does it have chrome bumpers?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2005 at 21:06
Get them regularly on the way to our weekly college stint, morons tailgating through 40mph stretch with cameras every few yards. No patience. We both like driving fast but there are sane places to do so!
IanT
E28 528, E23 735
pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2005 at 06:42

just had a quick look at the poll stats   ...well well .well...doesnt that just prove bmw drivers are sensible and law abiding well 70% of us....

if the same poll were to be done in say "max power " or the like ..i rekon there would be a big diffrence in the ...chance it were you can ....about 70% of it in fact ....

the next time someone says bmw drivers are bad/dangerous/speeding nutters etc etc blah blah ..i shall point them in this thread direction ....that should change there views

its a dogs world out there
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2005 at 11:13
I'd say the biggest danger on the roads now are the Max Poo brigade, I often find my mirrors filled with wide-boy saxos and corsas, outside lane terrorists pushing their plastic shopping carts to the upper limits of their ability. As regards the poll, I can never remember being inconvenienced by another BMW driver. I reckon at least a few people may be telling porkies though, I regularly see quite a number of BeeEms on the motorway pushing the ton!
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
E23 the forgotten 80s BMW

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2005 at 11:18

Doive,

which BMWs are the ton up boys that you speak of?

Chavved up E30's & E36's?

or big fat 7's?

Philip
'86 E23 735iA SE - Polaris - The Silver Surfer
'85 E23 735iA SE - Cosmos Blue - VJ
'86 E28 528iA SE - Dia Black - Helga
'86 E23 728iA SE - Polaris - The CHAV mobile
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2005 at 11:25
Originally posted by pma1ums pma1ums wrote:

if the same poll were to be done in say "max power " or the like ..i rekon there would be a big diffrence in the ...chance it were you can ....about 70% of it in fact ....

I wouldn't be so sure. In my experience lads in maxed out Saxos and Corsas don't drive that fast on the motorways. In I don't think I have ever seen one 'going for it'. The cars that regulary do speed are normally big saloons, especially if there's a rep at the wheel!   

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
MTEC530D View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2005 at 16:17

IMO i did a 3 day police advaced motorcycle riding course with a retired instructor who agreed that the speed limit is to low for some people. he said if your a qualified advanced driver/rider that to a degree speed isn't a major safety factor its al the inexperienced kids and old who drive  either to slow or thrash there 1litre fiesta's to death that are the biggest problems on the road. I often find myself doing in excess of a ton on both motor ways and back roads but a big modern car is capable of it and it will stop on a penny if you ask it to. I can say this from my own experience as i was nearly killed in june 2000 by an inexperienced driver overtaking on a back road (he was in a BMW strangely) and caused me to loose my right leg and suffer massive injuries causing me to get a holiday for 3 moths in intensive care apart from Leg i've recovered from all injuries.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic