Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Check your Policy
    Posted: 23-March-2005 at 09:16

Hi guys

Just a word of warning

Having just renewed my insurance through Carole Nash , I was looking at the proposal form and there is a section as follows " Is the vehicle left hand drive or has it been modified,altered,adapted or tuned ? " which they had put NO in the box.

On phoning Carole Nash to ammend the proposal form,  when I told them it was in fact LHD the guy said "What LHD an M3 ?" and he put me through to another dept. 

They then ammended the details and informed me that this has now put a small loading on the premium of £29, but informed me that had I not  told them , then the car would basically not be insured .

I did tell them that they were only made LHD and if in fact it was RHD then it would of been Modified / Altered

Just thought some of you guys out there may need to check as I know there are a few of you Insured with them .

Still worked out a Brilliant price though even at £29 more than I originally thought

cheers

Andy

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
93 E36 325 TD Gone but still going
87 E30 Hartge 325 (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links

e30m3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 09:41
i better check that when i get home, cheers for letting us know
Andy

1987 M3 - Henna red, UK supplied
1971 V12 Jaguar E-type - Midnight blue
1991 205 GTI - Black track car
2003 Tonykart Venox Rotax Max
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 10:04
Thanks. I will have a look as well
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 10:15
Oh dear, I`d better check that.
It`s their fault really. I would of thought they (the insurers) would all be using a common look-up system by now. So when they enter "E30 M3 1988" it should default to LHD. Or if not they should be asking this RHD/LHD question during the policy setup process.
I think if the car wasn`t insured due to this then it would be a court case in the case of a refused claim. It`s understandable for something like a 320 LHD, but E30 M3`s were only made in LHD. Their mistake that they didn`t recognise this.

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 10:40
Makes me think.
They actually never asked ANY question about the car at all. Mileage, tracker, immobiliser, modified etc.
Only the value had to be stated.
brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 10:57

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Makes me think.
They actually never asked ANY question about the car at all. Mileage, tracker, immobiliser, modified etc.
Only the value had to be stated.

thats why you always need to check the policy, as the covering letter requests, when it comes thru' the post.

Im not hearing good things at the moment about carole nash's bike insurance either, refusing a payout because of a sticker/graphic(not a paint job) on an otherwise standard bike

Nostrils View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 11:04
It is good to check to be on the safe side, but I do agree with Darren M - The insurers are the experts (so they keep telling us!) and it would be their responsibility to have the most up to date information - They have had nearly 20 years to get the info right!!

The other reason to check is because if you are giving them just a reg. no., then the information could be incorrect - I have given my reg no. for reference at insurance co., parts at independents and main dealer BMW and they have information retrieved from somewhere that my car is a 1999 M3.....(it was imported that year!!)

Now that I have written this, I think I'd better check my policy now!
Phil
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 11:27
Mine is 2000 first registered and manufactured in the Log book. Does this have any impact on the value of the car

Edited by UweM3
PJSM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 11:46
Also watch out on renewals. Details sometimes change without notification , but magically always in the insurer's favour............
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 12:10

Originally posted by Nostrils Nostrils wrote:

It is good to check to be on the safe side, but I do agree with Darren M - The insurers are the experts (so they keep telling us!) and it would be their responsibility to have the most up to date information - They have had nearly 20 years to get the info right!!

I agree with the sentiment, but not the detail.  The onus is on the person seeking insurance to disclose all information that might affect a premium.  Whether they should have known would be irrelevant if it came down to a dispute.  The principle of utmost good faith would apply.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Italian M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 12:46
Whats the deal with limited milage?

Should the insurer send somebody around to make sure you are not
exceding your milage.
Still fast at 2Ltrs!! Undercover M3!!
Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 13:37
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

I agree with the sentiment, but not the detail. The onus is on the person seeking insurance to disclose all information that might affect a premium. Whether they should have known would be irrelevant if it came down to a dispute. The principle of utmost good faith would apply.

It`s not irrelvant. Not every member of the public would know that LHD affects the premium. In the case of a car only ever made in LHD it really would stand up in court.All of these companies have or should have access to Vehicle ABI lists. These list all makes and models in the UK along with specs of those cars 4 door, 2 door and LHD!. They deserve to be out of business if they dont use this. The specs of the car as manufactured should be the respobsibilty of the insurer to get correct. Sure if the car was made RHD or LHD it`s slightly different but this is still one if the main questions that should be asked during the quotation process.

You`d be surprised at the number of things that can load up your insurance policy and for each one wrong they could refuse a claim. Even the wording you use on the phone could make a difference - they need to ensure they extract the exact information out of you. One thing that comes to mind is a simple personal thing that can add a bigger loading to your policy than the car being LHD. And it`s something that could be wrong just by the wording your use on the phone, or a very simple change in circumstances that you don`t even think about informing the insurers on. As this is a risk area to them, they should prompt for more information when they hear certain keywords to get this right.
Yep, I worked for an insurer for a while...

Edited by Darren M
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 15:04
Originally posted by Darren M Darren M wrote:

so go on and eduacte us to do it right

Edited by UweM3
therealmccoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 15:20
Originally posted by Italian M3 Italian M3 wrote:

Whats the deal with limited mileage?

Should the insurer send somebody around to make sure you are not
exceeding your mileage.

In the event of an accident they will ask for MOT's...

If the mileage is over your allowance, you will have to pay an excess. I argued that some of my mileage would be on Track and therefore uninsured. They said it didn't matter, the MOT's are what they go by.

James
Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 17:08
Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Originally posted by Darren M Darren M wrote:

so go on and eduacte us to do it right

Sell the cars and don`t bother with it .

Edited by Darren M
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 18:29

I've just re-insured mine with Heritage.

I'm limited to 5000 miles a year in it ( second car etc ), but last year only did just under 3000.

They have a facility, if you request it, that the mileage that wasn't used can be carried over to the next year, so this year I can do 7000 miles.

I requested this, but when the details came through it still said 5000 miles, I've rang them, and they are going to correct it.

I've had all sorts of funnies with insurance companies, my vectra estate keeps appearing as a four seater, every year they do this.

I even had one insurer refuse to cover me a couple of years back, as I rather too honestly notified them I had put the correct X spoked alloy wheels on the car, it had British 5 spokes on when I bought it, they said I had modified the car, and wouldn't budge, even when I got my local dealer to do a print out showing the car had been supplied with these wheels.

With the vectra I've even had a couple of questions about its alloys, it was an old shape at a shape change time, so had been supplied loaded with all sorts of goodies just to sell it, I even had to get a letter from the vauxhall dealer stating that !

It can seem its getting a bit silly out there, have you modified your car if you change the stereo ?, apparently this is the case.

Best Wishes

Nigel

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 19:12

I'm pleased I have read this! And I have to make a phone call in the morning. I am too insured with Carole Nash, have been for about 5 years now. When I called telling them I wanted a new policy for my latest M3, they insured me there and then, very reasonably priced as usual. I can not remember them asking me whether the car was left hand drive or not. Surely, they SHOULD know this. When I got my certificate through it had it down as a 2.3ltr not a 2.5! I called them straight away, they corrected the mistake and sent me a new certificate the next day. First Class service. They didn't charge me any more for it being a 2.5ltr either.

This mistake did suprise me as I thought they would have access to DVLA's computer for vehicle details and once they type in the registration number all the details of the car pop up infront of them?

My Proposal form does indeed say "NO" to the LHD and modified section too.

So a call to Carole Nash in the morning to sort it out. But, I don't see why I should pay anymore than I already have paid. Mine is a UK car, and they should know that they were only made in LHD even though it was UK spec from the factory. Hay Ho!

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 19:36
The DVLA records are only believed to be 70% accurate. That means vehicle details, owners names and addresses are all subject to a 70% variation in accuracy. Is this the central database all insurance companies refer to? According to the DVLA my chevette is a '1356cc' which as anyone who knows these things is a simple digit out from the real capacity of 1256cc. But the problems I had convincing insurance companies that it was a standard car was unreal, they all claimed I must have modified the engine to increase capacity. Have never got round to correcting the DVLA records but maybe I should.
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 20:37

My DVLA Log book does say 2467cc so they should have ot that right??

Doive, I like your Chevette, Don't you suffer from brake fade with those spot lights in the way of the cooling ducts?   Sorry! I hope you have told the insurance company about that modification, the extra weight on the front could make the car understeer. Sorry again, I couldn't resist!

Seriously though, 70% variation in accuracy is a bit excessive and shouldn't be allowed, especially now where they are getting strict about SORN and taxation rules, etc. It's going to make the MOT computerisation interesting when that takes effect next month! Lets watch this space.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
e30m3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2005 at 03:45
i've just phoned them, mines down as a right hand drive and has been for 2 years, bloody good job i didn't crash. They've added £29 to the premium. Feel kind of silly having recomended tham to othe people now.

Thanks again to andyclient for spotting this
Andy

1987 M3 - Henna red, UK supplied
1971 V12 Jaguar E-type - Midnight blue
1991 205 GTI - Black track car
2003 Tonykart Venox Rotax Max
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic