Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBreaking Sport Evo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breaking Sport Evo?
    Posted: 21-March-2005 at 12:54

Does anyone know where there is a Sport Evo being broken up. Before you all say Bexleys, they have just sold the part I really needed yesturday. I had emailed them that I wanted the glass, and as this is the 1st day off I have had all year, I thought I would contact them and arrange to collect this week. Unfortunately, they sold the rear window yesturday  (Sad more than angry!) Not entirely thier fault, as I could have been in better contact with them I guess. This is what I needed to finish off my car.

BMW no longer supply them, and all the Evo3 and Evo2 part numbers for the rear window supercedes to the standard E30 M3.

I have called everyone I can think of, but no joy.

Please can anyone help.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Sponsored Links

Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2005 at 13:34
That's a pain for you.

Presumably all evo bits will default to std parts once stocks dry up - lightweight bumpers bootlids and so forth.

Pity the standard parts don't default to the evo bits...

Someone said on here recently that the evo sport screen is now the only one listed so maybe it happens on some bits.

Might be worth trying Moseley Motorsport as any lightweight glass that's ever been on the second hand market is likely to have ended up on a racer and they might have ideas or bits in stock.

Otherwise, my suggestion is that we owners of the most important e30 m3 insist that evo 2 owners donate their glass to a worthy clause.

ahem - watch the fur fly....
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2005 at 13:48

Excuse me for being a bit dim here lads, i dont know your cars at all, but will standard glass suppliers not be able to help you ?

People like triplex in Birmingham ?

What would happen if your car glass was damaged, say by a piece of debris from a bump ?

Surely it wouldnt write the car off ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2005 at 13:49

Thanks Jonners!

Mosely Motorsport was one of the 1st places I tried, they couldn't help, but basically said that they were now having much trouble in trying to sorce any E30 M3 parts, let alone the limited editions!

I can't believe that I so nearly got the glass, but missed out by a day! I should have kept in better contact with Jags (Bexleys) but one thing leads to another and time flys by! I know not to hang arround no more.

I thought finding bits for my RS500 was tough!

Thank you anyway. 

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2005 at 13:53

Hi Nigel,

If it were damaged, I expect it would be replaced by the standard E30 M3 rear screen. This is thicker and heavier than the Evo2 and Evo3 rear windows. I would just bit the bullet and fit a standard one, but for my sins, I am just too fussy and want the car as it was intended. Lightweight, all be it a couple of grammes lighter!

I have another sorce who can make a window identical, but may cost alot of money.

Will try triplex too though, You never know!

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2005 at 13:57
They are in Camp Hill in Birmingham if you have to ring 118 118 or one of the others.
Best Wishes

Nigel

Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2005 at 14:06
hmmm

RS500

Evo Sport

When are you going to get the Merc 190e Evo 2 to complete the set???

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2005 at 15:54

Nigel, Camp Hill? I expect they are experts of things at the rear? Sorry! Bad one! Thanks, will try them tomorrow.

Jonners.............Merc??? I didn't like the chequered seats in them!  Thats one Merc you certainly don't see about. But yeah, when If I had some extra cash alying about I would look at some? But for me, there were only two cars I fell in love with - the sierra (god forbid) and the E30 M3. These seemed to be the ones which caught my eye, and watching the mid-late eighties touring car videos, who could fail to love these cars? RS500's awesome dominance in a straight line, and the equally awesome screeming sound of that S14 engine. Can't really remember the Merc making much of an impression. I bet they are even rarer than both the RS500 and the Evo3? The other car.....Vauxhall Astra GTE 16v. I have one of these for my everyday car. What is it about '80's cars? I love 'em. Audi Quattro, Lancia Intergrale.. What ever happened? Oh yeah I remember....Insurance costs  But what with Classic insurance, they are now quite affordable, if you can find one that didn't get nicked in the 80's!

therealmccoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2005 at 16:12
Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

Nigel, Camp Hill? I expect they are experts of things at the rear?

LOL!!
Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 18:48

Does anyone know what the thicknesses are on the EVO3 rear screen and what difference in thickness there is between that and the standard E30 M3 rear screen? You won't believe how many people (screen/glass) companies I have interested in this. Mobile windscreens do list different thickness's for the side glass which is work knowing! I spoke to Phil Lomas (head of mobile windscreens) who has been very helpfull, to the point of him getting a rear screen in to see what the thickness of that is, with no obligation to me.

Anyones help would be greatly appreciated.

Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2005 at 11:58
Originally posted by therealmccoy therealmccoy wrote:

Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

Nigel, Camp Hill? I expect they are experts of things at the rear?

LOL!!

Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2005 at 12:51
would love to know the relative thicknesses just for interest

would be willing to measure the rear screen on my sport but can't think how to do it - anyone got any bright ideas - or a huge pair of measuring calipers??

rear side windows might be easier because mine are the opening ones but haven't got calipers of any description but will see what I can do

I remember Uwe once explaining that one the parts cd if you hover the cursor over something details specific to that part will be revealed - he could even get it to show how much carpets weigh

Uwe, the info meister - are you there....???
Lancastrian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2005 at 13:06

Just had a look at etk and it shows the weight of the standard one, part no. 51 31 1936 920, as 7.575

and the weight of the SE one, part no. 51 31 2 230 061 as 5.75.

Therefore if they are made of the same density glass the thickness of the SE version is going to be about 0.759 of the thickness of the standard one.

I do not know if the glass is of the same density but I guess that the weight saving and reduction in thickness indicated above both sound to be reasonable.

I also noted that the thinner version was also fitted to the Sonderserie 89 version. I wonder if that applies to Cecotto as well? 

E30 M3 Project - Specification TBC
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2005 at 13:24
Originally posted by Jonners Jonners wrote:

I remember Uwe once explaining that one the parts cd if you hover the cursor over something details specific to that part will be revealed - he could even get it to show how much carpets weigh

Uwe, the info meister - are you there....???

you have to click on the item number in the graphic and the parts list will drop dow if there are other parts like LH an RH
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2005 at 11:27
Measured the thickness of my rear windoe - 3.1 to 3.2mm thick (or thin?) Spoke to Phil Lomas of mobile windscreens who is looking into it, there are different thickness's listed for the side glass - 3 and 4mm. But he said there was only one listing for the E30 M3 heated rear window. I have also found someone who can make a rear window the same dimensions. But this is getting a little away from what is really needed, a genuine BMW Evo3 rear window. I am going to make UWE sick now, I wanted the genuine one with the BMW logo on it! LOL! No-one will know what the thickness of a after market pattern window and assume its the wrong one - I guess. But then would anyone really notice? I think I'll go away now
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic