Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedConverting 1989 525iSE to LPG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converting 1989 525iSE to LPG
    Posted: 16-April-2003 at 20:54

Hi

I have just bought a 525i SE 4 door saloon 1989 and would like to know if anyone has converted one of these to run on LPG. This car has been converted already before I bought it and will run ok on Gas but when switched over to run on petrol seems to develop a misfire and wont pulll like it should. I have fitted the original airbox back into place as it came with a K&N filter instead and I was told this would affect MPG so on this advice I changed it back to original airflow meter and box still to no avail. The car still seems underpowered even on gas which makes the juddering and misfire disapear. I would be greatful for any advice from anyone with knowledge in these matters . The car is just shy of 156,000miles and still sounds sweet as a nut Regards Stevie  

Sponsored Links

Keithb32 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2003 at 11:50
sounds to me like it wants plugging in, if the problem is not entirely resolved by running on gas, it may be ignition, although it would be well worth checking the tappets, it may be getting valve seat recession from gas operation. If valve clearances are tight, doing them  may transform it. I'm curently converting my 1989 520i to lpg. If the valves are tight, you need to fit a flashlube kit for gas operation, it'll stop valve seat recession instantly, and they're only a few quid. Having not done mine yet, I don't know if it's a problem on these. I had it on my e28 518i on gas.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic