FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAmplifier buzzing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amplifier buzzing
    Posted: 07-March-2005 at 04:41

After installing an amplifier I am getting a buzzing through the speakers. It is related to engine revs, doesn't increase with volume, but thankfully it cannot only be heard when the music is not on and the car is stationary.

I have been very careful not to route the RCA cables (triple shileded) near the battery power lead and although the speaker cables are occasionally within a couple of inches of the amp power cable (unavoidable due to the power connections and the speaker connections being on the same side of the amp), moving them even closer makes no differenece at all. Any one got any ideas?

Thanks

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Sponsored Links

sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2005 at 04:51

hi Pete, in my younger days I always had this problem with BM's.

The cure was to use the RCA trace cable (between the two lines) and connect one end to the body of your head unit and the other end to the body of the amp.

They were then earther together and removed what I assume was earth interference? I am no electrician, but it worked!

(FYI i think nigel is a sparky???)

I gave ICE up when I lent my brother all my kit and it was promptly nicked from his golf.

expensive hobby!

Edited by sleeper
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2005 at 06:19
Sleeper, it is indead a very expensive hobby. What is the RCA trace cable?
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2005 at 06:31

the cable that is moulded down the middle of the RCA cables?

do they still have these in???

I have some old (but v.expensive) gold leads as per the above...

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2005 at 07:06

Two forms of screening gentlemen, one is anti-static, the other is anti-magnetic.

You have screened cables, hopefully you are not using the screen as a signal cable.

You can try connecting the screen at one end, and leaving the other end disconnected, then try connecting the screen at both ends, if the first way didn't solve your problem.

As always it is much better to solve the interference at source if you can, rather than trying to exclude it from a device.

Check your normal alternator etc, and don't forget the fuel pump, as most people do !

Best Wishes

Nigel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2005 at 07:07

My cables dont have these. TBH when I was looking I didn't see any that did.

I have sent a customer support ticket to the people that sold me the wires. I'll see if they have any suggestions.

Thanks for the input sleeper.

bmw325tds View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2005 at 12:04

Electrical noise in a car is an absolute pain to get rid off.

I tried all of the standard Alternator / Fuel Pump / Earthing stuff etc etc, and eventually bought one of these.

http://www.m-99.co.uk/Car_Audio/Noise_Suppressors/noise_supp ressors.html

I bought the NS21 and it got rid of all of the noise. I was a bit reluctant to put one in, as I'm a bit of an audio freak and thought it would destroy the sound quality, but all it did was remove the noise!

It's been in two cars now, and has worked in both

Two second job to install - just plugs in-line with the Line cables, and I put mine at the amplifier end.

Carl

Ford Focus 1.8TDdi Estate
Ford Focus 1.8TDdi
Porsche 944 Turbo

BM's gone, but maybe only temporary!
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2005 at 16:03
They look as good as anything I've seen anywhere, and although I'd probably "play about" in sheer stubborness to cure the problem, at that price it does beg the question as to why I would bother.
Best Wishes

Nigel

bmw325tds View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2005 at 16:08

I played around for the previous four cars before this one (a E36 328, an E30 M3, a Peugeot 406, and an Audi A4) and couldn't get rid of all of the noise whatever I did (328 had 12 seperate amplification channels!)

Best £20 i've ever spent on car audio .

Carl

Ford Focus 1.8TDdi
Porsche 944 Turbo

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2005 at 16:47
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Two forms of screening gentlemen, one is anti-static, the other is anti-magnetic.

You have screened cables, hopefully you are not using the screen as a signal cable.

You can try connecting the screen at one end, and leaving the other end disconnected, then try connecting the screen at both ends, if the first way didn't solve your problem.

As always it is much better to solve the interference at source if you can, rather than trying to exclude it from a device.

Check your normal alternator etc, and don't forget the fuel pump, as most people do !

Nigel, you must forgive my ignorance on this subject. My RCA cables just have the normal two plugs on either end, no connections for screening etc. It said triple screen on the packet. TBH I don't really know what it refers to.

I have been told the problem is probably due to a poor earth connection, although the earth point I am using is a very good connection. It is the one for the rear interior light. The only problem I can imagine is that it may not be a big enough connection for the application? does this make sense.

I would rather sort the problem than get round it. When you say check the alternator etc, how do you mean. Are you refering to the integrity of the earth connection?. Is there another way of checking it other than visually. I have access to a multimeter.

If all else fails I can always give the noise suppressors a try. Would I need one for each RCA cable? And am I right in that they just fit in line between the amp and the end of the RCA? Also they have current ratings, what do these refer to? how do I work out what rating I need?

Thanks guys, I'm feeling a bit lost at the moment, I much prefer messing with the oily bits Big Smile

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Badger 540 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2005 at 17:21

I found that the proximity of the head unit to the dashboard dimmer has a bearing on induced noises.

The dimmer must produce some RFI which can affect the stereo, try altering the dimmer control to see if it alters.

I'm seriously considering a balanced pre-amp at the head unit, as I can run this down the car and pipe it directly into the balanced input on my Rockford Fosgate EPX2.

Running balanced (like microphone cables) will eliminate the bulk of induced interference, and the higher level output by the balanced pre amp will help further, as you don't need as much gain at the receiving end.

Andy

Badger540      West Midlands
bmw325tds View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2005 at 02:56

Rather than poor earth connections, the problem can occur when the earth connections for the different components are of a different size - i.e different guage of wire, different length of wire, different size of terminal etc etc.  The list really does go on and on, with noise introduced from everywhere!

I don't know if you need one of these for each RCA as I only used it for one Amp (actually an Active sub, but this only introduced the noise to the head unit amp).  You could ask them - they were very quick to send out the components.

As for the Ampage, the unit is also rated at 250 Watts, so unless your Amplifier(s) power is more than this, it should be okay.  250Watts is a lot, especially down a Line input!

Carl

Ford Focus 1.8TDdi
Porsche 944 Turbo

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2005 at 12:50

Well, I've been doing a bit of investigating and found that the buzzing increases and decreases with the gain control. Does this give any clues as to what exactly is causing it? At least this means until I sort the problem I can minimise the noise.

I tried fitting a suppresor, to the live out from the alternator, basically a capacitor (250micro farrad) wired between the live out and ground. The fitting instructions said to connect it to the wire that is only live when the engine is running. Now since there are only two wires, a thick one which is live all the time and a thin one which isn't, I connected it to the thin one. It has made no difference at all. Should I have connected it to the thick wire?  The thin one seems too thin to carry any kind of current, does anyone know what it does? Also I couldn't find an earth connection for the alternator. Oh for a wiring diagram!!

Defblade View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2005 at 16:01
Try earthing amp directly to battery; try earthing HU (both HU case and earth wire) with fairly chunky wire to same point as amp; consider the whole run of both RCAs and speaker wire for proximity to power leads; use fader to see if it's happening on all speakers or only one or two which may give a clue as to which wires maybe involved; remove most of your wiring and run it through the interior so you can wiggle it around and see if location makes any difference; then start suppressing things.
bmw325tds View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2005 at 03:39

If the noise is increased with Gain, then it is being introduced before that stage in the amplification - i.e at the pre-amp stage.  This would suggest that the noise is being introduced by the line inputs.

All of the information I've read on this in the past suggests that you should never earth directly to the battery.

Carl

Ford Focus 1.8TDdi
Porsche 944 Turbo

Defblade View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2005 at 04:28

Originally posted by bmw325tds bmw325tds wrote:

All of the information I've read on this in the past suggests that you should never earth directly to the battery.

I've seen both suggested (that you never should, and that you always should!). The "never shoulds" seem to be concerned about introducing ground loops/differential earth reference voltages, which is a problem in theory; however, I've done it without problems (until you turn the rear demister on, which I can live with. Doubt it's due to battery earthing, anyway).

So I'd tend to say, try it one way; if you get trouble, try it the other.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2005 at 03:23

Well, I can't imagine how the RCA cables are picking up any interference since theyt are rounted on the opposite side of the car to the power cables, infact the are run alongside the standard speaker cables. I will check them out anyway. Oddly enough the only speaker which isn't affected as much is the front right? Can't think why this would happen, both front maybe, but only one!?

I will try playing around with the amplifier earth.

I'm not sure I want to start removing wires again. It took me ages to get them in and I have the cuts and grazes to prove it. Lifting the carpet is a pain especailly since I haven't been able to work out how to disconnect the accelerator pedal from the floor.

TBH now I have set the gain to 'Nom' the interference is a lot better so I'm in no rush. It have spent enough time messing around with the car for the time being and I could do with a break.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic