Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE39 high beam stays on !!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E39 high beam stays on !!
    Posted: 25-February-2005 at 17:48
High everyone ... I have a prob with my 1998 520I lim . The off side high beam light stays on ALL the time even when the key is out of the ignition. Its not the indicator switch/ parking light thing. I figure that the relay has welded shut... problem is BMW wont even tell me were to look for the relay. with ingnition off and key removed, I've pulled every relay I can find (all in the boot). So can anyone tell me either .. were the high beam relay is (I assume each high beam light has a sepertate one) or has anyone had this prob.... BMW said it might be a wiring fault behind the dash .. at this I exploded .. an efin 6 year old car with a loom fault .. how do they get away with it. They then backed down and agreed that it was prob relay .. but just wont tell me were the blody thing is hidden (and I thought VW ran a  monoploy) ...... cheers anyone !! 
Sponsored Links

Toxic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 11:14

Pete, the reason why they can't or won't tell you where the relay is, is the simple fact is that it is not a relay at fault.

The front headlamps are controlled on & off by a power transistor in the Light Control Module.  What has happened is, this transistor has failed and short circuited internally causing the light to stay on.

It's a common problem on these cars around year 96-98.

2 options.  Get BMW to replace the complete Light Module for I'd say about €500 or

if you or anybody you know has an electrical & electronic background, repair the module yourself.  I had to do it about a year ago and it took about 2.5 hrs in total.  It involved removing the module from the car (15 mins), taking it to a table, splitting it open, locating the correct transistor on the board out of something like 14 of them, desoldering 5 pins, re-soldering the new transistor, putting the module back together and back into the car and hoping you didn't damage anything else.  Luckily for me, it worked.

Get back to me if you need more details.  In the meantime, just pull the connector to the bulb so you don't drain your battery.

Tom

Edited by Toxic
Tom
E39 1997 523i
Oxford Green (Sold)
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 12:43
I think Doive is an electrical engineer, based in Edinburgh. He may be
able to give you some advice on repairing the module. Look for him on
other posts and send a PM.

Richard.

Current; 2000 316i Compact 1.9
previous; 1999 535i V8,    
1995 316i Compact 1.6
Peter W View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 15:36
Hey Tom, thats brilliant ... it confirms what I was told by an independant auto elctrician today. I may ask our electronic service guys at work to help with the actual repair ... Is the LCM behaind the glove box ?
Really, thanks alot Tom
And hey everyone ... my 1998 520i SE lim is LPG converted .... which is even more fantastic at the moment

Edited by Peter W
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 16:26
Repairs on electronic modules are fairly easy as long as you know what is likely to be at fault!! Best scenario is to open a board and find a component all surrounded with brown carbonised deposits - thats the one! More often than not something will have failed internally, showing no external faults at all.

For the transistor take the part number of the faulty one to somewhere like Maplin and get a direct replacement, then solder the new one in. One thing it is advisable to do before opening the module is to earth yourself - take off all wooly jumpers or fleeces before you start, and touch something like a radiator or a water pipe in your house to get rid of all static. Often these modules will have been built in a static free environment, so are likely to be fairly sensitive. Toxic sounds like he knows what he is talking about, having done it already so you could ask him the details. Of course if the guys at work are going to have a go at it, leave them to it!
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
Peter W View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 18:05

Right I'm pretty much hyped up now I'm going for it ..... If I trash it I'll jus thave to buy a new one ...... does anyone know were its located and what it looks like ?? I dont mean exactly just rough size .. I'll figure it !! 

Toxic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 09:11

Pete, I sent you a PM of it's location.  Size is about 200mm x 120mm x 40mm.  Black in color with a large heatsink visible on one side.

I didn't notice any visible component failure, just had to trace from the light wire color to the module, to the connector and to the component.  You can verify the resistance across the suspected faulty transistor pins to a known good one jst to verify 100% you got the right one.

A good solder iron & solder sucker is required.  When soldering the new one in, try not to spend too long soldering the pins.  You don't want to damage anything more than you have already.

The guys in work should have it fixed for you.  I actually found trying to remove the module more difficult.  You'll need a socket set and a set of torx bits to remove the module since the bonnet release lever needs to be removed and the panle behind it.  One nut holding teh module in at the bottom of it..I think a 10mm.  after that its just move a wire harness out of teh way and rotate it 90deg to get it out.  3 connectors to be removed, one for left side of car, one for right and one for signals from the buttons & levers in the car.  Best of luck Pete.

Tom

Tom
E39 1997 523i
Oxford Green (Sold)
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 09:12
Click here for LCM article.
1997 540i Touring auto

Pictures and spec.
Toxic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 15:23

That article is just what you need to show you how to remove the module.  What you see on the first page is the internal of the module with the cover off.

When you get to that stage, you need to remove the heatsink which is the large metal section with all the fins.  I think its secured from the underside.

The lamp I had the problem with was front right headlamp.  I think the wire from the lamp came down to pin 13 of the bottom left black connector.  If you look at the drawing where the sticker with the barcode, the bank of 3 transistors just below it at 4 o'clock, I think it was the middle one or the one to it's right.

You'll probably find the transistor is marked BTS425, made by Infineon.  You won't be able to get these any more.  They are replaced by BTS426L1.  Can be bought at any RS store.  P/N: 354-5893.  They are about €4 each.  I had to pre-order them as they weren't a stock item at my local RS store.

Once you remove the securing screws for the heat sink, there are metal spring clips between each transistor and the body of the heat sink.  Just use a small flat bladed screw driver to prize each one of them out.  You won't be able to get out the heatsink from the board until they are all removed.

What I did, was when I knew the faulty transistor, I snipped the five legs off at the body of the transistor which made it easier to remove each leg once they were being de-soldered.

Tom
E39 1997 523i
Oxford Green (Sold)
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2005 at 10:40

Pete, have a read of this link....have to admit I was thinking of this if all else failed but was told it would only be a matter of time before the transistor for the other light would fail due to the excess current draw.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e39/6305275-1.html

Tom
E39 1997 523i
Oxford Green (Sold)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2005 at 13:57

Yep .. I thought of doing that to get it through it's MOT tommorrow 01 March ... but was worried (little knowledge) 55Watt lamps @ 12 v is a draw current of (been a few years) 4.58amps per buld X 2 = 9amps ..the BTS426L1 is rated @ 7 amps with a current limitation of 16 amps ..I'm not sure what current limitation means ??? . I've ordered the Infineon's from RS and Farnell (to be sure ..ha ha ). And the guy at the garage (not stealers) is gonna try and get it through  MOT by claiming a replacement bulb is required ....fingers crossed.

I'll let you know how I do .and I'll photograph the LCM repair stage by stage.

thanks again for your help and interest

Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2005 at 14:02
When a component is rated at 7 amps and current limit of 16 amps this means that it can sustain 7 amps continuously without damage, while it can handle momentary transients of up to 16 amps. So for example when you switch on your main beam it isn't 4.5 amps just like that - the bulb may pull as much as 6 amps for a fraction of a second as it switches on but will settle to a steady draw of 4.5 amps fairly quickly. For this reason components will always have a limiting current specified, but I wouldn't be too worried by this as it shouldn't be an issue with the lights.
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic