Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 15:18
Originally posted by Doive Doive wrote:

100% agree Grobda. As I have stated earlier BMW came in like vultures to kill off Rover's aspersions of being Britain's answer to BMW (as some of the motoring press were saying back in 1991/2). What better way to take down an organisation than from the inside? Then when they had suitably starved Rover, they sold up taking everything worth taking, including most of the development cars. Why take the development cars?? Because if Rover had built them, they would have been able to pick up their market share and BMW are in the same threatened position in ten year's time. So invest all the inheritance in developing cars, then take them away with you when you leave. Cunning.

BMW also retain the rights to the name 'Rover', lending it out to Phoenix and with the power to take it off them at any point should they so wish. Why retain a brand name? I don't know.

It does annoy me when I hear people saying 'Ah, they should have let Rover die', or 'Who cares?' Well I do, and so do 6000 people in the Midlands if MG Rover sinks or swims.

OK, first off, I am 100% certain that BMW were absolutely terrified of Rover. And well they should have been: an awful mashing of bland Japanese cars that we so well-built, they would fall apart if you f@rted in them. I can see that it was definitely worth the trouble of buying them, developing some new cars that weren't based on Japanese taxis and chucking huge amounts of money from a profitable business into a very unprofitable one. Those cunning Germans.

Why take the development cars? Because they had paid for them. Hugely.

If Rovers were awesome cars that sold themselves, we wouldn't be having this discussion, but they're not. I hate to sound even more cold and ruthless, but a large proportion of the problem with Rover is the perceived build quality, which is largely down to those same 6000 people whose jobs are in danger.

BMW should never have bought Rover, it was a bad business decision. But you can't blame them for realising afterwards that it was a bad investment and offloading it. BMW are not in business to keep UK workers in a job; BMW are in business to make money for their shareholders. Rover wasn't making money for their shareholders.
Ciao,
Spokey

Sponsored Links

Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 14:20

100% agree Grobda. As I have stated earlier BMW came in like vultures to kill off Rover's aspersions of being Britain's answer to BMW (as some of the motoring press were saying back in 1991/2). What better way to take down an organisation than from the inside? Then when they had suitably starved Rover, they sold up taking everything worth taking, including most of the development cars. Why take the development cars?? Because if Rover had built them, they would have been able to pick up their market share and BMW are in the same threatened position in ten year's time. So invest all the inheritance in developing cars, then take them away with you when you leave. Cunning.

As for Land Rover.... well we all know what happened there. BMW buys Rover group from BAe for £800m - sells Land Rover to Ford for £1.8bn. Nice tidy profit. Not to mention the marketing success the new MINI has been (can't stand the thing personally), think how much money Rover would have made from that? BMW also retain the rights to the name 'Rover', lending it out to Phoenix and with the power to take it off them at any point should they so wish. Why retain a brand name? I don't know.

It does annoy me when I hear people saying 'Ah, they should have let Rover die', or 'Who cares?' Well I do, and so do 6000 people in the Midlands if MG Rover sinks or swims. I hope in ten years time that MG Rover will be strong enough to have sustained model development and new cars competitive against the big names. If a car company's success was rated on the spirit and heart of it's workforce and development team, then MG Rover would win every time. If I ever have enough money, I will buy an MG ZT or Rover 75 over any foreign competitor such as BMW, Merc etc etc.

1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 14:11
Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

BUT-- 108, 000 Germans would not agree.

Who cares? It's only the Germans.

(This is a joke, OK?)
Ciao,
Spokey

grobda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 13:40
I think there are some people at mg/rover trying really hard to build decent cars and keep their jobs. The MGs are particularly impressive as good value well tweaked cars that have won approval from all but the most snobbish car critics.

Despite hearing about the managers pay rises I am glad that they are still going, being Britains last native volume car manufacturer. I share the perspective that BMW bought Rover to strip the attractive assets with no interest in the long term future of rover brand.

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 12:35

interesting  !!!!!!!!!! from some comments, the white n blue still builds em like they used to.BUT-- 108, 000 Germans would not agree.-- from their Poll answers to Auto-Motor-Und sport. Audi --A3 beats the 1 series AND Golf -2 to 1.A4 is best mid size at 38-9% from C -class MB with  19-6%.A6 with 30-2% over MB CLS and 5 series.A8 40% ahead of MB S-class at 15-1%.VW Touareg beating the X5.

Voters say quality, reliability, technology, and styling were superior to the rest.SO-- its Wake up time -Even if BMW sales are up 7% in 05.PS- watch that NEW Audi V8 RS4  do the Biz on the NEW v8 M3 at less ££££.

Edited by B 7 VP
SAFETYFAST
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 10:34

Don't forget to check with the insurers and tell them of the modification.....

....and remember that tuned to that extent they tend to have a much shorter lifespan!

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

kenny View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 10:30
test drove a leon cupra r chipped to 265bhp. I need to have it!
Alive.........but for how long?

1999 V E46 318se Black with grey leather
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2005 at 19:37
Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

I haven't a clue!  That's an obviously baited trap so enlighten me!

Particularly as you own a nice shiny red Z1...!

Well, on my first cruise, the obviously superior Carrera 4 couldn't shake me off in my 16-year-old 172 BHP Z1 on a B-road, nor could the obviously superior M Roadster, both driven by people at least as good as and probably a whole lot better at driving than I am. There was a Porsche 968 Club Sport in there, too. The guy behind me, who I couldn't shake off, was in that hairdressers' car of hairdressers' cars: the Z3 ... 1.9 ... AUTO!

So, line astern, unable to shake off or overtake: Porsche Carrera 4, Porsche 968 Club Sport, M Roadster (with serious AC Schnitzer modifications), Z1 and then Z3 1.9 auto.

Now, let me guess what will happen when Evo puts a Porsche Carrera 4 on a track against a Z3 1.9 auto? However, in real life, the difference was not quite as apparent to me.

In essence, whatever Evo say is good for them, fine! I'll stick to the 1er and for those who'd rather buy a Golf -- good luck, and I hope you enjoy it.
Ciao,
Spokey

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2005 at 14:49

I haven't a clue!  That's an obviously baited trap so enlighten me!

Particularly as you own a nice shiny red Z1...!

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2005 at 13:58

There isn't a cat in hell's chance of shaking it off!

How well do you think a Z1 would fare against an M Roadster or a Porsche Carrera 4, then?
Ciao,
Spokey

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2005 at 13:06

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

I guess I'll just have to take my chances, and I'll happily see any GTi who wants to tag along on a B-road of my choice.

The GTi would be in your rear view mirror every inch of the way.

There isn't a cat in hell's chance of shaking it off!

I have driven a 120d and a GTi - there is no comparison in performance and the GTi shod with the 18" Monza wheels would quite easily handle as well as any 120d.

More to the point, you'd be looking at the rear of the GTi very quickly.  There really is no comparison between it and a 120d.

I don't like VW's generally but I do view each car objectively and the fact is that if you take the price out of it (difficult to do I know!) the GTi is supremely good car.

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2005 at 04:35
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Oh and Evo Magazine compared it to the 120 TDi sport (163bhp version) and the golf was quicker on the corners and in a straight line. On there test rack it was several seconds a lap quicker.

I assume you mean 120d, since TDi is a VW appellation. Despite what the lads at Evo say, I'll still take my chances.
Ciao,
Spokey

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2005 at 03:19

Oh and the new Golf GTI has been very highly rated by all the car magazines. A much better by than a 30K 1 series diesel, IMO of course   (bet it depreciates slower as well!)

I've driven one of these and they are very special cars.  But would I buy one?  No.  And a big no.

The car had SatNav, leather and 18" Monza wheels with the DSG box.

List price with options = £26,800.  Sorry, how much?

It's a Golf.  I'd rather spend the money on a proper car - forgive my petulance!

Why is a Golf not a proper car. Also how much would it cost to get a BMW of similar spec and performance. If you want a 3 series it's going to have to be a 330. By the time you add on the sat nav and leather it's going to be well over 30K. The point is better made about the 1 series IMO.

Ultimately, I feel we're into the territory of each to their own. 

However, BMW remain king of the crop where build is concerned unless I have been exceptionally lucky in buying the 3 best built cars we have ever owned in the last year.  Not a single rattle on any of them - and one is a Convertible remember - so that's saying something indeed!

Your right, we are.

I know a bloke who was after an E46 M3 convertible to replace his E36 M3. In the end he bought a Scooby WRX STi. Brand new about £25K compared to £30K+ for a used M3. He said people had warned him that he would miss the build quality of BMW, but in his words 'the Subaru is at least as well built as any BMW I drove'. The thing with cars is one person can have trouble with one car but another person might get the same car and have a totally positve experience.

BTW are you going for the record on longest post? LOL

Spokey, It's not just Clarkson who said the new Golf GTI is very good. I can't think of a single magazine that reviewed it that didn't like it.

Oh and Evo Magazine compared it to the 120 TDi sport (163bhp version) and the golf was quicker on the corners and in a straight line. On there test rack it was several seconds a lap quicker.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 19:27

Oh and the new Golf GTI has been very highly rated by all the car magazines. A much better by than a 30K 1 series diesel, IMO of course   (bet it depreciates slower as well!)

Yeah, Clarkson rates the Golf, doesn't he?

I guess I'll just have to take my chances, and I'll happily see any GTi who wants to tag along on a B-road of my choice.
Ciao,
Spokey

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 18:18

Well two things spring to mind here. Firstly what is all this rubbish about BMW build quality!! my e36 is no better built than my mates new Ford Fiesta, Niehter for that matter are the BMWs I was looking in the last time I was in the dealer. The other car makers have caugth up big time with BMW obn this score so it's no longer a reason to buy IMO. I knew a bloke with a Seat company car and it was very well built, as well built as his mates company Golf GTI in fact. Very comfortable and both with well almost 100K on the clock. In fact It didn't have any rattles at all. Not like my BMW and many others judging by the posts on this site. How many posts do you we see on here about people with new BMW that are having problems? Plenty.

You can visit any car forum and you'll see people moaning about their cars.

However, you won't find many car forums with owners of older cars as enthusiastic as they are on here - and that is testament to both the cars and the owners.

On the build issue though, I have to disagree.  I know AndyBoy had similar thoughts in respect of Japanese cars being as well built.

I can only summarise it like this:

When I bought my first E46 M3 Coupe, and indeed when I changed it to my current Convertible, I could have picked virtually any manufacturer going.

If the truth is known I would have gone for a Porsche 911 Carrera 4S if it wasn't for the fact that I also need a true 4 seater on the odd occasion, so that ruled it out.  The build of the Porsche was a good as the BMW, but not better.

I drove an Audi S4 during the selection process of my first M3 - it came a very poor second.  The build quality was not as good and the quality of trim wasn't as good (apart from that I didn't think it felt anything enough like a drivers car).

I drove a Mercedes-Benz CL55 AMG - it was utterly awful.  Enough said on that.

Bear in mind...that at this time I was handing in the keys to a company Jaguar, so I can say with all honesty I had no brand loyalty of any kind to go along with.

That brings me on to the Jags.  The XKR is a lovely car, but dated.

But it could look like something from the future and I'd still not have picked it - because it is Ford build quality.  Mondeo build quality (as the X-Type so aptly demonstrates).  Ford are nowhere near BMW build standards in my opinion.  Eons away from it in fact.  I've drive every Ford I care to think of and only the Focus TDCi has left me with a favourable impression.  So much so that we bought one.  But, it started to rattle very quickly.  Hence, my wife now has her 320d SE (a few more cars inbetween it should be said) - and it has no rattles and she loves it to bits (ok it's 6 months old but the other cars had all developed faults by this time).

Lexus - now they impressed me.  However, they don't make a car in the performance bracket I wanted so they were out.  Besides which, their depreciation levels are enough to send anyone running.

TVR.  I drove a Tuscan S from Hexham Horseless Carriages.  Wow.  What a noise.  However, I can't decide what made the biggest impression on me.  Was it the engine noise, or was it the horrid sound of the door trim coming completely away in my hand as I shut it....

But, 2-seater anyway.  However, I had to try one and I won't be going back to any TVR dealer until they start making their cars with goods other than those out of the left-over bins of Smoby.

Vauxhall.  Well we have a few of these on our company fleet - and they're cheap.  Build?  Hmm - I suspect we'll get more Fiesta in future...and bear in mind my previous comments.  I do have to say that the VX220 Turbo is a hoot - it's a shame I couldn't get out of it in less than 2 minutes...

Honda.  Now I've owned 2 of these.  The last one, an Accord on an S plate, was a very good car.  Plastic and tin though.  The new one is better, but nowhere near BMW standards.

Toyota.  They've actually gone downhill recently in my opinion.  Nothing more to say on that.

Seat.  I could refer you to a colleague about these.  But I won't, because he'll swear a lot!  3 new cars in 16 months - all lemons.

VW - the Golf is superb.  But the price?  Wow.  And the 1-series has better overall quality in components, I just don't like the 1-series as a total package and thats why I give the Golf the edge.  As for anyone spending £30k on one, well I agree it's time to consult a doctor...

Nissan.  The 350Z didn't suit what I wanted and it's overall drive was very disappointing.  In fact it was positively dull and unimpressive.  Build wise was impressive.  Probably the best of the rest, but the plastics still thud when you tap them.  Mine don't.

The thing I'm trying to demonstrate is I am the type of car buyer who would quite happily change cars if I thought a better car, in the category I wanted, came out tomorrow (though the wife might object!).  I don't offer brand loyalty for nothing - I only stick with it if I think it is due.

Some of the reports on recent model build quality has been much exaggerated.  They're still much better than Audi's and Mercedes in every respect of build quality. 

But, BMW took the lead by a very long way some years ago - so people are out to knock them just like they are Manchester United FC.  The empire is crumbling, blah, blah.....and how often have we heard that?

I suspect that by the time my next car is ready for collection I'll probably have decided to give up the 4 seats and go for a 911, such is its everlasting attraction to me, but only time will tell....

WRT the Rover 75, I know someone with one and he loves it. The MG ZS260 is not a bad car at all. It might not be as good dynamically as a 330 but then what other car in the class is. I would certainly have one, although not new.

Buying one used is rather different, and you have to be honest and say you didn't make that clear initially!  I'd still look around though.

That's the great thing about depreciation, you get lots of used bargains. Anyone who's bought a used 7 will know all about that.

As another colleague will testify.  A £70k, 18 month old 730i fully loaded, for £32k...with 20,000m on the clock.  Then there are the older ones on here that I see regularly.  Even better value.  Can't disagree.

I've driven one of these and they are very special cars.  But would I buy one?  No.  And a big no.

The car had SatNav, leather and 18" Monza wheels with the DSG box.

List price with options = £26,800.  Sorry, how much?

It's a Golf.  I'd rather spend the money on a proper car - forgive my petulance!

Ultimately, I feel we're into the territory of each to their own. 

However, BMW remain king of the crop where build is concerned unless I have been exceptionally lucky in buying the 3 best built cars we have ever owned in the last year.  Not a single rattle on any of them - and one is a Convertible remember - so that's saying something indeed!

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 17:33

Well two things spring to mind here. Firstly what is all this rubbish about BMW build quality!! my e36 is no better built than my mates new Ford Fiesta, Niehter for that matter are the BMWs I was looking in the last time I was in the dealer. The other car makers have caugth up big time with BMW obn this score so it's no longer a reason to buy IMO

I knew a bloke with a Seat company car and it was very well built, as well built as his mates company Golf GTI in fact. Very comfortable and both with well almost 100K on the clock. In fact It didn't have any rattles at all. Not like my BMW and many others judging by the posts on this site. How many posts do you we see on here about people with new BMW that are having problems? Plenty.

WRT the Rover 75, I know someone with one and he loves it. The MG ZS260 is not a bad car at all. It might not be as good dynamically as a 330 but then what other car in the class is. I would certainly have one, although not new. That's the great thing about depreciation, you get lots of used bargains. Anyone who's bought a used 7 will know all about that.

Oh and the new Golf GTI has been very highly rated by all the car magazines. A much better by than a 30K 1 series diesel, IMO of course  biggrin1 (bet it depreciates slower as well!)

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 12:17

Sure, the 530i may well walk all over it in terms of performance, chassisdynamics, ride quality and build quality.

Doesn't leave much, does it?   

But I want to see MG Rover survive, so if I had the necessaries I would buy this car. BMW have a
lot to answer for in the whole shambles.

Yeah, they should have just let Rover die years ago.
Ciao,
Spokey

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 12:16

Coasting, check out this link here

That's not exactly a review from a neutral stance now is it?  It's dedicated to Rovers/MG's!!!

You cannot tell me this car has no redeeming features at all? I would have this looooong before a new Bangle-designed 530i.

I seriously think anyone choosing this over an option on a 530i would have to be raving mad.  Residuals, reliability, build, everything.  The 530i is a spectacularly good car - the MG, well it simply isn't (in my opinion).

I respect MG Rover for having the determination to produce a car like this, especially after the way BMW treated the company during their 'partnership'. BMW raided the corporate larder and took with it Land Rover, the new MINI and all the old brand names that ever meant anything eg Triumph, Riley, Wolsley etc.

I have a real 'thing' with this.  BMW were lied to about what the company had, what it's prospects were and a whole lot more.  They did what you or I would have done if you bought a house that turned out to be falling down around you.  Financiers the world over have used the term 'shafted' - but not in terms of how MG were treated by BMW, but the fact that BMW bought them in the first place.  BMW turned a bad egg into good fortune for themselves by their transformations of the brands you mention too.

Land Rover was almost dead on its feet - they rejuvenated it and secured jobs.

Mini didn't even really exist did it???  Look at it now.

Sorry, but BMW brought much more to the party in terms of securing motor industry jobs in the UK than it ever took away.

MG Rover were left with two brand names and a range of elderly cars, plus the new 75. Perhaps the money should have been spent on the 25/45 replacement, but I admire them as a bunch of petrolheads who have built this great car.

Petrolheads?  How about top brass conmen that are taking every spare penny out of the company they acquired for virtually nothing?

Sure, the 530i may well walk all over it in terms of performance, chassis dynamics, ride quality and build quality. But I want to see MG Rover survive, so if I had the necessaries I would buy this car. BMW have a lot to answer for in the whole shambles.

I want to see the best car manufacturers survive - because we pay for them.  Nothing more than that.

If MG Rover dies it'll be no great loss.  The legacy of their real cars of the past will still live on.  And I'd dip a toe to say that the sooner they go the less damage they'll continue to do to what is a name of true heritage currently being turned into little more than laughing stock.

BMW has a lot to answer for as I said above - that is securing the Land Rover brand future, blessing us with much better cars and securing millions (billions) of investment in the UK.

Sometimes, as they say, it's best not to smack a gift horse in the mouth.

Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 11:49
Coasting, check out this link here

You cannot tell me this car has no redeeming features at all? I would have this looooong before a new Bangle-designed 530i. I respect MG Rover for having the determination to produce a car like this, especially after the way BMW treated the company during their 'partnership'. BMW raided the corporate larder and took with it Land Rover, the new MINI and all the old brand names that ever meant anything eg Triumph, Riley, Wolsley etc. MG Rover were left with two brand names and a range of elderly cars, plus the new 75. Perhaps the money should have been spent on the 25/45 replacement, but I admire them as a bunch of petrolheads who have built this great car. Sure, the 530i may well walk all over it in terms of performance, chassis dynamics, ride quality and build quality. But I want to see MG Rover survive, so if I had the necessaries I would buy this car. BMW have a lot to answer for in the whole shambles.

1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 11:23

You would spend 30k on a 1 series diesel?? Personally if I had my heart
set on a 1er, I would wait a year until a few had trickled onto the
secondhand market, then buy a low mileage FSH one for perhaps 20k odd.
For 30k you could buy some very serious metal. I'd be inclined to go
for an MG ZT260, nice big V8 power and good looking as well, rather
than a well engineered but very ugly BMW hatchback. Each to their own I
suppose, if it's what you want then who am I to tell you otherwise?!

I might hang on for a FSH model, but it's unlikely to have the spec that I want (i.e. everything!)

MG's are definitely not my cup of tea at all, but as you say, different strokes for different folks.
Ciao,
Spokey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic