FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDigital pressure gauge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Digital pressure gauge
    Posted: 22-February-2005 at 09:34

Hi, Over the weekend went to the garage and checked tyre pressures. Then out of curiosity went to another to see if they read the same. The second garage read 4psi lower on all four tyres than the first. So I went and bought the most expensive digital pressyre gague I could find, £19.99. It looks great and came in a solid case and is made of metal. Anyway , the tyres read 3 psi lower than the second garage. So my question is how accurate is the gague I just bought? When I was out on Sat night, my friend who is an Engineering Manager at Bentley motors, Crewe said he would take it to work and callibrate is against theirs. When he took it from the glove box he said it was the same as the ones the company issue at Bentley. Even so, how accurate are they and does each gague vary much?

Sorry to blather on, but I find it difficult to believe that its so hard to get something so important right.

Philip
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2005 at 10:08

What make is yours?

auto express did tests on these and the results are on their site:-
www.autoexpress.co.uk >> product tests >> tyre pressure gauges (analogue) & tyre pressure gauges (digital)

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Phillip View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2005 at 10:18

I got the Halfords deluxe. But I think it maybe an ugraded one as in the report it stated the Hafrauds one had to be switched on (mine is automatic just like the Accutire Premier Backlit Digital MS-4000) and it stays on for 15 seconds as well (again like the  Accutire Premier Backlit Digital MS-4000 ). Well I am pleased about that result.

kbannon-you must have an amazing memory..you always know some  sort of link!! Thanks 

Phil

Philip
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2005 at 10:39
I have the Draper digital one on the Autoexpress link above.  My thinking is that even if it isn't absolutely accurate, it should be consistently inaccurate, and therefore avoid part of the problem that gave rise to your question Phillip.  Having said that, I have no issue with the accuracy.  I'll always adjust the pressures slightly from the manufacturer recommendations if I feel the need for reasons of comfort or handling.
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic