Forum LockedAir filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
:-)

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air filter
    Posted: 14-February-2005 at 15:21

Hi, while changing my air filter I noticed a wire gauze covering the pipe leading out of the air box.  I was tempted to rip it off but didn't.  Has anyone tried this? I had been considering a fancy air filter but I hear they make no improvement.  Just wanting to do something while I save up for my Supersprint exhaust.

Andrew

1992 525I Sport, Bilstein Sport Suspension. Viper 2 Chip
Sponsored Links

Badger 540 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2005 at 15:38

I think this mesh is to protect the MAF from debris damage.

I would be inclined to leave it in situ, Andrew.

There has been quite a lot of debate over air filters on the forum over the last few months. I think most of the aftermarket systems could lead to a power loss simply because it's difficult to get cold air into them.

The OE air box has a cool air pipe that gets it's supply from outside, rather than the engine bay.

Andy

Edited by Badger 540
Badger540      West Midlands
Jim525d View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2005 at 13:55

Worth adding my experience of a K&N filter on a Scooby.  The oil in the filter "mists" off especially when new.  This coats the MAF which stops working leading to rough running and stalling at idle.  

A simple fix though, spray it with brake cleaning solvent (carefully) and replace. 

Jim 

Phantom_Mark View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 07:23

Well FWIW I have a panel K+N filter, I fitted this to my standard 525 M50 Sport and found NO difference in performance, in fact felt slighty less responsive.

So I bought a brand new BMW filter and immediately was happy with it, I saved the K+N and refitted it when I had my powerflo exhaust fitted, again the K+N causes me to have a substantial power loss when compared back to back with the BMW item.

I must stress I have NOT had the car tuned so it may work better when I get my chip fitted and the car rollin road tuned etc.

Until then the K+N will sit in its box awaiting the chance to see if it will ever give me any extra performance.

Mark.

<<<<< The only way is up >>>>

( unless your in a 5 series, then sideways is cool too )

91' 525 24v Sport, Stainless Race Manifolds, PowerFlo Stainless + Decat, Big Bore Throttle Body, Viper 2 Chip + 17's, std BMW Air Filter :D
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 07:26

Just to add btw, my new exhaust ROCKS.......really can feel some power difference, its a Powerflo stainless from downpipes back ( no cats as mine is a 91 model ), sounds bloody awesome when your giving it some, the only side effect that im not happy with is that its too much bass boomy when driving sensibly, hard to be anonymous with it - that said tho for the 200 quid I paid for it im very very very happy.

Mark.

91' 525 24v Sport, Stainless Race Manifolds, PowerFlo Stainless + Decat, Big Bore Throttle Body, Viper 2 Chip + 17's, std BMW Air Filter :D
J7 VNK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 10:31

My 525i Sport has a K&N panel filter!  just ordered some new cleaner and oil for it!

Unfortunately it was in the car when i bought it!  so can't see if it's better or worse. however, i have a 525i SE 24v too and the sport is definately more responsive!  I'm now tempted to replace the K&N panel filter with a stock item to see/feel the difference! if any!

1999 528iA Sport Pack,Aspen Silver,17" MTech's.
1994 525i Sport, Avus Blue,SOLD (BMWCC Member)
1999 323i SE E46, Black, man, Sports Leather.
My Cars

"BMW's are for life, not just for Christmas"
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 11:02

I have an old ( not too grubby ) original BMW filter your welcome to have FOC ( Just postage )........I think mine was around 12 pounds from the local BMW dealer tho so not too bad.

Mark.

simons5 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 17:03
I have a K&N induction kit fitted to my 525i, i can't say its quicker or slower with it but it sounds great
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 20:42

I was thinking of the induction kit before I got the panel filter, heard to many storys on the fourms about heat soak problems, you have the std air box and filter before you fitted the induction kit ? be interested to know how you got on and if it caused you any problems.

Mark.

simons5 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2005 at 06:57
Yes I had the standard air box and filter before fitting the induction kit, I have had no problems with it at all. Its been fitted now for 8000 miles.

Simon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic