FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBroken Sport evo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 11:12
Originally posted by mogart1 mogart1 wrote:

5. No I don't know the owner, but just looking at the facts - razzed - crashed - scrapped. It doesn't look very caring on the face of it.

Razzed - U mean like if someone blew a hole in the side of their M3 Engine?!?!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but u just blew yours?? Did anyone give you a hard time about it?? Did any idiot say "I don't know you, but because your engine blew up you must have been thrashing the pants of it!" No, they didn't! So have some respect for other people. FFS it's not like the guy went out to write it off!!!!
Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
Sponsored Links

MCC1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 11:35

Depends how badly smashed/bent it was but I wouldnt wanna buy a hit & fixed near write off M3.  Thats a big a shame as breaking it [if its has been badby damaged] as it'll never be right.  Esp. an sport evo as even though its a 'hit & fixed' it'll still be £10k +

PS - I don't know how much damage this car in question had, it could be relatively minor?  But I would be totally against someone fixing up a total wreck of an M3 that be wrapped around a tree and bent chassis etc THEN selling it on (and no doubt not telling the buyer if he failed to notice it was in an accident)

Edited by MCC1
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 12:44
wow 1100+ views now on this thread !!!
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 13:56
It doesn't take alot of damage now to have even a Sport Evo written off because the parts cost so much, even though it may still be repairable quite satisfactorily.

mogart1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 14:02

The difference is I can be ****d to fix it, and didn't send it to the scrappers, and mine is a common e36 saloon, not a rare Evo sport.

I certainly did not mean these cars shouldn't be driven, there is just a balance between preserving a rare model and enjoying it, and pushing it to the limit, which is likely to end in the car being wrecked.

My opinion, no intention to be disrespectful to anyone - only started getting involved because I thought hiabboy had a good point and basically that its a shame some cars get turned into sheds. You must see this, even if you don't agree?

M3 S50 Saloon 'Individual'
Rags View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 14:06
btw, the car is 'under offer' and not sold. Get the facts right.....
therealmccoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 14:22
Originally posted by mogart1 mogart1 wrote:

The difference is I can be ****d to fix it, and didn't send it to the scrappers, and mine is a common e36 saloon, not a rare Evo sport.

I certainly did not mean these cars shouldn't be driven, there is just a balance between preserving a rare model and enjoying it, and pushing it to the limit, which is likely to end in the car being wrecked.

My opinion, no intention to be disrespectful to anyone - only started getting involved because I thought hiabboy had a good point and basically that its a shame some cars get turned into sheds. You must see this, even if you don't agree?

But once again, you DON'T know the situation... How do you know he can't be bothered to fix it?? Suppose he's been injured and is off work now - so he can't afford to fix it??

I can see where you and hiabboy are coming from, but you need to get a grip. What is worse, Driving a car as it was intended or putting aftermarker **** all over it? This guy put performancing enhancing equipment on it, not nasty Lexus lights, bling alloys or other offensive tat...

edited for language, please read forum guidelines

Edited by Rhys
Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
Rags View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 14:42

Guys, hold up, aren't people allowed opinions anymore?

They may not be right in your opinion? Thats why debate occurs.

Anyway, The sport evo is a great car but at the end of the day its only a car!

Agreed, If i owned a sport evo it would only be a road car but alas, I don't own one. So afaiac the owner can track it/shag in it/used it as a shed for all I care, but it may upset a few while pleasing others.

I do agree with the other guys in a way, why 'risk' a great car by tracking it when you could track a shed instead.

BUT, some of you guys have to remember , it may be a legendary automobile, but thats only to the enthusiasts......its an old bmw to Joe public and the insurance industry.....so from that respect why not track it? Well, the fact that your 14 year old motor cost you near 15grand

Hell, I see e46m3's and evoVIII's on the track! They don't seem to worry about their potential risks...

Risk mitigate with fun I say, hence my MK1 Golf!

Edited by Rags
Rob L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 15:50
Opinions are fine when you know what you are talking about.
Seems to me that people are so quick to make a statement when they
don't even know the facts, so why bother. I know that forums are place
where you can express your own opinions but if you don't know the
people or the facts its b******s!

I gather that John W did some very professional mods to that car and both
he and Potsy are pretty good drivers, but just because the car has been
written off doesn't make it max power special.

My Sport Evo has some sensible AC Schnitzer mods and it was like that
when I bought it. It's done 52k, 2 BDD's at my pace, 3k a year since I've
owned it has ££££'s spent on keeping it immaculate and gets polished far
too much. Now no-one on here really knows me, but if I were to have an
innocent accident in my car,(oooch the thought), I can imagine that I will
see posts on here that my Sport EVO had been razzed
crashed and scrapped, how wrong could they be!!!

Simon had an ACCIDENT in his Sport Evo and I expect he is gutted. I've
only met him once and he seemed like a good fella who had a turn of bad
luck. I guess he alone knows the secret of his car's misfortune......

Razzed, crashed and scrapped, No No No.
John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 16:03
Originally posted by Rob L Rob L wrote:

Razzed, crashed and scrapped, No No No.

Amen to that.
David 87M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 17:40
Originally posted by lancelotII lancelotII wrote:

The reason it was written off was beacuse of the silly prices for all the Evo Sport bits, like the front splitter arrangement which is about £1500 from BMW, for basically a load of plastic.....
Basically a load of plastic. That hits the nail on the head
its a bloody car. Would a 4 page thread be written about a standard E30M3?
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 21:03

Whenever I go on the track I always say, I'm going to go steady, drive eight tenths, just do a few laps to feel for the circuit, warm the tyres, etc. But strangley, it never ends up like that. I have the overwhelming fear of smashing my pride and joy up but then out of the pitlane, full pelt (on circuits I know well) tyres hot or cold, going for it like I know nothing else.

I never thought I would drive my Europameister like I did untill I got past the Quarry corner at Combe. I only drove it once on two circuits - Castle Combe and Thruxton. Castle Combe, I remember catching, passing and pulling away from a Grp N race E30 M3. I entertained the occupents of that car so much they were laughing thier heads off, in dis-belief in what had just happened. Mine was a standard 195ps Europameister except for lowered eibach springs and koni shocks. Standard brakes and 15" wheels on budget tyres, Nankang I think.

As it was one of only 149 ever made, I didn't want to drive the car the way I did. BUT, the car craved it, you could get it soo sideways it was untrue, it gave you loads of confidence and I thoroughly enjoyed the session.

My Sport Evolution. This is another story. I am spending thousands on it getting it back to new condition. I have thought about not taking it onto the track. But, I want to. Again, I dont want to drive it like Keke Rosberg, but I know I will end up doing so. My car is taking up all of my savings, and I probably wont track it. I do see both sides of the arguments though and sympathise with anyone who has the misfortune of damaging thier car. If mine were damaged, I would put it in the back of my garage, under a cover and buy the parts to repair it as and when I could afford it.

Best car around Combe for me. Well dare I say it, yep a FWD car....MG Metro Turbo. £400 B reg banger in 1990.

By the way, I don't think I am a particularly good driver, but I love driving and I usually get alot of praise from my passengers when I'm on the track. I always have the utmost respect for everyone also on the track.

I also have respect for everyones comments and statments. We are all entitled to have them, and to air them too.

Anyway, didn't mean to go on. Love the topic anyway.

I think every E30 M3 should be used as BMW intended. Everyone has their own interpritations (spelling) of that statment. Now did BMW intend their roadgoing versions of there race cars to be driven on the track? LOL Its upto the individual surely.

BTW does anyone know my old Europameister G891CLE? If so is it being looked after?

Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 12:40
Mmmm - track days in a fifteen grand E30 M3. You
could buy a Kumho E30 325i for less and see just
how good a driver you really are. Sorry, but expensive
track days cars are for pub bores who just want to
show the world how rich/stupid/vain they are. Real
drivers race, no excuses. If you can afford a Sport
Evo, you can afford to race. I don't race because I'm
not good enough.
I wonder how many M3 track day heroes could keep
up with a Matt Seldon's E30 325i in the wet?

Answer: Not Many, if any.

So when I see these guys with suede racing boots,
racing overalls and an expenive car at a track day, it
seems to me that they a) haven't got the balls to race
and b) haven't got the balls to race.

My point? Rather than drilling holes and bolting
useless rear cages in a nice road car, sell it to
someone who can appreciate it as the superb road
car it is (and yes, do the odd track day) and get
yourself on the grid..............unless of course you can't
make the grade as a driver.
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 13:24
a) haven't got the balls to race
and b) haven't got the balls to race.

Or maybe we have been there,done that.
And now we are just having a bit of fun

Very sweeping statement from a self confessed talentless
driver.

Jon
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 13:40

MMmmm Andy Boy, sorry but this has prompted a rant...

I love track days, "pub bores?" I don't drink, well extremeley rarely. I love driving that much that I really don't need the pub. But then I bet that will prompt a few opinions too.

Just because I own an Evo3, DOESN'T mean that I can afford to race.

I don't consider myself as a track day hero either. But, I used to race a Fiesta XR2 and then a Fiesta Si which was really an RS1800i with Si bumpers. These were one make championships. I never cheated, unlike alot of other racers do, and won 4 out of 9 races I could afford to race in. The 1st race I won was in the XR2 at Castle Combe in torential rain. I qualified 5th, won the race by 13 seconds after the race was stopped on lap 8 due to the amount of cars aquaplaining off the circuit! I won a double header at Pembrey in my Si and got the lap record for this class in the 1st race and broke it again in the 2nd race. The last race I did, at Castle Combe in the Si, I qualified in 3rd (one tenth off pole time) This was achieved even though my gearbox had stuck in 4th gear on the 1st qualifying lap. I managed to change the gearbox before the race, and won it by about 7 seconds. I achieved all this on my own merit and stuck to all the rules. I don't like to preach about my achievements, I am really a shy quiet guy.

So, YES I used to race, and I know I can do it. Racing is a waste of money to those who can't really afford it. £160 for 10-15 laps qualifying then 10 laps of racing as long as the race 'aint stopped, that doesn't include trailering the car, hotel, damage, etc, etc,etc. You can spend over £1K before turning a wheel. You could do a road registered car for racing, drive it ther, race it, then what happens if you damage it, or the engine goes bang? You gotta trailer it really. I have been there, and I have done that. But when I raced, I couldn't afford a nice car like my EVO3. Now I got it, I CAN'T afford to race. I could afford the odd track day, as you suggest, where the competion is not out to lean on you round corners, or bumpo you up the rear under braking running you wide into a corner.

I have been thinking of having a go at the 318i / 320i challenge. But, it 'aint happening as the Evo3 is costing alot for a tip top resto at the moment. Its my choice, no-one elses.

Who cares about Matt Seldon and who can keep up in the wet? Surely, if he races regularly, no matter what he drives, people will probably will have a hard time keeping up.

I don't really want to say it, I don't boast. But, I can race, I am good enough to race. I have never had a rich dad to fund any of my racing, nor did I ever chase sponsers for money. If I had of done, who knows where I would be now. Not F1, but certainly touring cars. I accept I'm not, and I am happy with what I am doing now. I am not a pub bore, rich, stupid or vein. Aparrently I am a quick driver out of the box. I'm not a good speller though! LOL.

I can't think of many people who could drive my old Si flat, not a hint of a lift off the throttle in 5th gear, over Avon rise into Quarry corner at nudging 130 MPH, and still manage the quick line around Quarry corner. I suprised myself when I managed to do it. Now that takes alot of balls. ALOT of balls. Mind you, you couldn't do that on road tyres and standard brakes. Another one, Volvo 440 Turbo, Yes I did own one. From quarry corner all the way to tower corner before the cecanes were put in at Castle Combe, absolutely flat out, and yes that was including Old Paddock. No lift at all. No slide, no dramas, stayed on the track. Now whos talking about balls?

I never judge a driver before I have been head to head. I am certainly not Schuy, and as far as I am concerned everyone else is better than me. Anyway, whats wrong with the lads in thier suade boots, and overalls turning up at race circuits. Thats upto them. If they cant drive, then they can dream.... fair play to 'em.

My point to my previous post is, I personally want to take my Evo3 on the track now ang again, But, I can't risk anything happening to it, as all my money is going into this car. If someone takes thier Evo3 on the track and smash it, it was upto them, and they would surely have realised that something like that could happen.

If anyone was offended by this post, no offense was intended

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 14:09
Another amusing but ultimately stupid post from Andyboy.

I suppose I could afford to race, but my job will not allow me to commit to a full season.

I would rather take my (lovely lovely) car to track days.......just get it in on the track, which is what it is for. It costs far less per lap than racing.

What would be the point of owning a 993 RS with airjacks and clubsport goodies if I didn't get it on the track?

Edited by John W
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 15:23
John, you've clearly never been karting. If you had,
you'd realise that karting without actually racing
anyone else on the track would be rather dull. All
you're doing is driving around in circles although I'm
the first to admit that it can be fun - but not for race
car money thanks. I've won two Kart races in my
whole life (in about 20 races). One was in Gran
Canaria which is supposedly the longest kart circuit
in Europe. I turned up during a practice session for
under 15's (all sponsored semi pro with their own
karts) and beat all 12 of them. I weigh rather more
than any of these nippers and had never driven the
circuit before. Talentless eh Jon 90?
These racing suited and booted kids took it so
seriously that the second place nipper (from
France....) wouldn't even look at me after the race
and went off in a huff, beaten by a 13 stone Old Fart
in jeans and trainers in one of the circuit's own karts.

As for racing, how about renting an E30 race car for a
couple of events? Three words; Men, Boys,
Seperate. Arrange these into a well known phrase.
It'd be cheaper than your 911 as well.

Sheps M3 - respect to you mate, and a well
reasoned argument. But at least you have DONE IT.

And today my spelling is pretty grim too - edited!

Anyway, this has drifted somewhat from the topic.

Edited by Andy Boy
Rob L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 17:13
NEWSFLASH

Goodwood have anounced today that there is to be a change in format for
all future festivals. The regular display of CSL Batmobiles, M1's 2002's,
Ferrari 250 GTO's etc have been cancelled as the owners of these cars feel
that they are too precious to take out of their garage, let alone thrash up
the hill.

However in order to maintain the same level of dynamic action on the day
Goodwood are pleased to inform you that thay have pulled out all the
stops to bring you, the one and only, wait for it..........

Matt Seldon's E30 325i!

BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 17:18
Originally posted by Rob L Rob L wrote:

NEWSFLASH

Goodwood have anounced today that there is to be a change in format for
all future festivals. The regular display of CSL Batmobiles, M1's 2002's,
Ferrari 250 GTO's etc have been cancelled as the owners of these cars feel
that they are too precious to take out of their garage, let alone thrash up
the hill.

However in order to maintain the same level of dynamic action on the day
Goodwood are pleased to inform you that thay have pulled out all the
stops to bring you, the one and only, wait for it..........

Matt Seldon's E30 325i!

LMAO . Spot on
DAWIEM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 18:22

You forgot to add that Goodwood also said this will only be in the wet.

E30 M3 Road car ( Now in Hongkong )
E30 M3 Track Car
S14 2.0L 2002 in progress
E30 C2 2.7 Alpina
E36 M3 3.2 EVO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic