Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBroken Sport evo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 08:12
   I'm sure Pottsy could drive round me in circles on the track, it 's the solid immovable objects he needs to watch out for.
Profit is more reasonable than justice.
Sponsored Links

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 08:46
Originally posted by lyndonbuck lyndonbuck wrote:

OK OK so we can't all build roads as well as the Germans, don't
rub it in

Didn't mean it like that!
I live in the UK quite some time now, but never had so much grip problems than this year. So I thought it might be my car, tyres or whatever. Or even me!
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 08:47
Originally posted by Hiabboy Hiabboy wrote:

I'm sure Pottsy could drive round me in circles on the track, it 's the solid immovable objects he needs to watch out for.

Your first post didn't read like that.....
DAWIEM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 10:49

Hiabboy,

Don`t know where you came from, but to make comments regarding peoples driving styles or competance, you must class yourself some sort of expert.

Strange we have not seen you around before on any meets,track days or forum.

By making statements as you have, you not doing yourself any favours among members of this forum.

E30 M3 Road car ( Now in Hongkong )
E30 M3 Track Car
S14 2.0L 2002 in progress
E30 C2 2.7 Alpina
E36 M3 3.2 EVO
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 11:12

Hiabboy has owned about 6 or 7 mint Sport Evos
including my black one which now belongs to
Richard Baxter. That makes him very well placed to
comment. Jags told me it was wrecked at the 'Ring.
As for smashing them up on trackdays, you've got to
be a bit daft to **** one when there are so many
scabby 2.3's about for a few grand. It was designed
as a very nice and very expensive road car, not
something to bounce of armco. But I guess it's the
old 'my Dad's bigger than yours' ethos, battle of egos
and chequebooks.

And German roads are often the worst in Europe,
absolutely awful with never ending roadworks and
terrible congestion - it once took me 11 hours to
drive from Kempten to Hamburg. Most of them (the
A7 in Southern Germany for instance) were built by
the Nazis in the 30's and are still just two lane. Most
are in a very bad state and there are fewer and fewer
derestricted sections of Autobahns. No, the best
roads in Europe are in France, superb autoroutes
although you need to be careful steaming along
between the Peage's - the ******* time you now!

Edited to remove objectionable language, please re-read the forum guidelines

Edited by Nigel
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 11:21
E36 M3 might have been build as a fast Road car.
Sport EVO as everybody knows are the latest Evolution of the M3 for better performance on track. So why not enjoy what is was made for?
Of course it's a lot of money, but there are plenty of track day insurers out there.
If I would own a Sport EVO I would track it as well!

Even if Hiabboy has owned 10 Sport EVO's, his posts are a bit on the provoking side IMHO. (and why the hell has he owned 7??? What happenend to all of them? Had to be sold because of full ashtray?)

I also wonder what German roads have to do with a smasched Sport EVO????
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 11:58
Originally posted by lyndonbuck lyndonbuck wrote:

OK OK so we can't all build
roads as well as the Germans, don't
rub it in

I was replying to this dubious thread!! As
for the argument for and against using something
like a SpEvo on the track, it's down to the owner I
guess. Hiabboy used to buy cars that were just
about to be ruined (rolled arches, big wheels and the
usual crap) and restore them back to factory spec.
I would never have used mine on the track, it was
just too nice a car to do that kind of thing to. That's
why I used various old crappers such as that Alpina
C1. The most fun I ever had was at Castle Combe in
2001 in a Gazelle Beige 518 running on 175/70x14
remoulds. The car was £20 and I learned a lot that
day about car control.........and I didn't smash it up.
I do hope that John's old car is repaired. As I said, it
looked a bit of a mess but not beyond repair and I
think it would straighten out quite nicely.
As for being made for track days, I don't think there
were very many in 1990 - but I guess you could just
as easily smash a car up on the road as on the
track. I think you can enjoy a fast car without going to
these extremes - well I can anyway.
Hiabboy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 12:19
  I'm a self employed BMW mechanic who loves cars . All of my sport evos have been bought as tatty negected cars and restored to their former splendour , no cages ,no motec , no white dials ,no wrongness.  The cars have been refubished correctly and sold at a profit to fund the next project, obviously if i was to put a price on my time the profit would more than likely be a loss, c'est la vie.  Track days and most other forms of 'sport' by their very nature attract poseurs and exhibitionists, those who want to show the world just how much money they've got and how easily they are parted from it. Have you ever noticed the fastest man on the track is seldom the man with the most expensive/modded car?.  I haven't made any comments regarding any particular persons driving ability, Uwe m3 was the person who said Pottsy could drive circles round me on the track and my reply implied that avoiding solid immovable objects would probably be a more useful party trick.  My point is why abuse and risk destroying  a sport evo when a £4000  dogmeister will do the same job. Anyone who pays £12-£15000 for a decent sport evo surely knows it is not twice the car of a '90 215 car, he is buying it for its rarity and the fact it is the pinnacle of the e30 m3 model range. To extensively modify/molest such a car is surely a case of oneupmanship and a blatant disregard for one of BMWs finest hours.
Profit is more reasonable than justice.
MCC1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 12:21

Andy Boy

If I could could afford to buy a totally mint Sport EVO I would definitely take it to a track.  I have a 2.3 and I took it to a track but its not a scrapper - its in 1st class condition and I plan to keep it that way.  just because you don't own a sport evo doesn't mean you plan to wreck or crash you own car. 

You always buy the best possible car you can get for the money you have available.  If that happens to be a Mint sport evo then thats what you buy.  And why most [not all – some are investors I guess] buy a E30 M3 is to take it to a track.    These cars are designed for the track – the Sport Evo is the best E30 M3 so why not take it to track? 

That like saying to someone who has a Porsche 911 GT3 RS/Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale or something.  Would you say to them what are you doing taking a ltd edition car like that to a track when you could take an old high mileage ‘scrrapper [if there is such a thing!]’ 360 or 996 911 as opposed to taking the GT3 or Cs to the track?  Its your car & you should be allowed to enjoy it in whatever way you want...& use it what it was designed for

All IHMO of course  

Edited by MCC1
MCC1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 12:30

"Anyone who pays £12-£15000 for a decent sport evo surely knows it is not twice the car of a '90 215 car, he is buying it for its rarity and the fact it is the pinnacle of the e30 m3 model range. To extensively modify/molest such a car is surely a case of oneupmanship and a blatant disregard for one of BMWs finest hours"

Is a really good 90 215 not gonna cost about £10k anyway?  So if you can afford it why not splash out a couple of K more on a sport evo that's a tiny bit faster, nicer etc.  Plus its appreciate faster

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 12:33
Tracks are normally smoother than out crap roads, no cars coming in the opposite direction, so really it's probably less damaging to a mint car than driving over potholes, avoiding gritter lorries, stone chips and porely repaired roads. Just a thought. Oh and no bucking roundabouts, as i had a sideways moment today in the touring 30 mph and it was due to mud from building works.
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 13:09
Anyone who uses a Sport Evo on any track ( Ring and all ) is using the car as it should be . Full stop,no arguments, no ifs or buts. If anyone disagrees with that , go buy a £50 Ford from a scrap yard and use that as a track car.

The guy could be out of pocket for a lot of money, not to mention being severely pissed off. Cut him some slack and leave dumb comments about how you think a Sport Evo should be used, in your head.
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 13:24
Originally posted by Grahame_Vincent Grahame_Vincent wrote:

Gary

Were you at the Hawes Inn with the car the other day?

Yes mate. There were two Black Sport evo's there. Mines was the one with the red and black leather interior
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 13:38
Guys...... Surley it is the person who owns these cars', right to do with it what they wish, wheather that be track it or not track it.

I don't want to track mine as I am unable to put it right again if i **** it. It is a simple as that. Nothing to do with it's a Ltd edition or the likes, just simple economics.

I do think it's a shame when another one bites the dust all the same, but that is more from a purist point of view, as there were only 600 made, and the more that survive the better. But that is only my own and not too important opinion.

I know of Pottsy from various forums and have heard of his driving abilities, but we all make mistakes, and there will no-one more devistated than he.

And yes our roads have been crap over the last couple of weeks. It all the salt and grime you know all we need is a good old British down pour and they will be back to normal.

Anyway enough of my drivvle.....let battle commence
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 13:58
I've gt a friend who bought an imaculete (boy is my
spelling bad) XK 150s and stripped the interior out
put a roll cage in it fitted all sorts of race spec bits
and races it - and i'm sure the 'purists' will think that
it was the work of belzebub hinself to make him do it

Each to their own, they are only cars after all, just an
expensive hobby.
John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 14:50
So what next? Do we stop people driving their 1973 Porsche 911 RSs on the track and insist they buy a later 2.7 Carrera instead because it isn't as rare or special? Oh come on, don't be so silly. Or shall we suggest the chap tearing around the track in his original D type change to some less expensive, a more common car? No. That would be a tragedy.

Taking the Sport Evo to the track IS EXACTLY WHAT PEOPLE SHOULD DO. Never mind the fact that 2.3L cars will do the job. That is completely missing the point. People buy the Sport because they want it, simple. It isn't "worth" the extra money, but again, this is missing the point.

I owned the car Pottsy crashed. I modified it tastefully. The notion that all modifications to Sport Evos are wrong is again just stupid. Mine had a discrete half cage in black. It had standard wheels, fully refurbed in the correct colour that looked sensational. The Motec allowed the engine to perform properly. No more restrictive air flow meter. The cams and cat-free Milltek exhaust were perfectly in keeping with the car. The standard steering wheel was kept in a safe place....simply too big for a sports car. The quick shift was definitely needed. The Pagid blue brake pads, Castrol SRF brake fluid and custum brake cooling kit were all definitely appropriate. The lowered suspension stopped it wallowing on the track.

Pottsy is a fine driver who I first met a few years ago. He often wins "Driver of the Day" at track days. Never mind your snide comments about how he should learn to avoid hard objects. You sound like a child. Do grow up.

I now own a 993 RS which is so modified it's unreal. Porsche only made just over a thousand of these fine cars (so not many more than the Sport Evo), but tasteful mods enhance the cars. Done properly, they certainly don't damage the car's value or prestige. Having Olaf Manthey tinker with one's RS is no bad thing.

Edited by John W
therealmccoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 14:55
Originally posted by BMG M3 BMG M3 wrote:

Anyone who uses a Sport Evo on any track ( Ring and all ) is using the car as it should be . Full stop,no arguments, no ifs or buts. If anyone disagrees with that , go buy a £50 Ford from a scrap yard and use that as a track car.

The guy could be out of pocket for a lot of money, not to mention being severely pissed off. Cut him some slack and leave dumb comments about how you think a Sport Evo should be used, in your head.

Well said Brian!

As said before, give the guy some slack. Whatever happened, surely he deserves some sympathy??

Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 14:57
Oh dear I better not say what I've got planned for mine or I think the mob will be round with bigsticks to have a word with me.

Now where did I put those 20" chrome spinners
Richard von Bat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 15:11

Let us commiserate with Potsy an incident can befall anyone of us at anytime on the road or track I for one will miss him not being at the Clubs BDD's, he was fast and if I'm correct earned 'Driver of the day' on more than one occasion. Coft and Cadwell I believe.

The Ring is a challenge at anytime and a good friend Rob Lynam who sadly departed this world used to arrange for the Brits to get onto the course - strongly suggested anyone, everyone to take driver training to get the most out of the circuit. At first I took no heed but after a few wobbly moments (somewhere on the 13 miles) signed up and did the 3 day training which is now organised by John Safe through the Club office.

Dear Andyboy as you know I am a heathen I take my E111 on track but can assure you it is not for the reasons you state - thankfully generalisations are no more than generalisations right?..........

These are great driving cars I use mine everyday and cover approx 15k miles a year. With a trip to the ring and 2 BDD's that means approx 10% track and 90% road. I know you love the oversteer and hooning it around in but boringly perhaps that is not for me, I am trying to learn speed, effeciency and a smooth line the experience gained on the track helps me to get more out of the car on the road.

Concerning the money side of things, how many cars will provide the driving thrills and still provide you with perhaps zero depreciation but thats my Scottish ancestry showing through!!!!!!!!  

richard
Mike 90 M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 15:12
Originally posted by Chris Miller Chris Miller wrote:

Shame

Everytime I get round to considering a trackday I hear of another smashed one on the track either here or via the US sites.

Id be mortified if i did this to mine and its nothing special just a decent basic 2.3.

I reckon its time to investigate buying an old clio 16v or pug 205. if It gets binned it wouldnt really matter.

Chris.

Take that back! We will have no one talking about buying ****box fwd cars here.

325i is what you should have said! hehe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic