Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNot a happy E46

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not a happy E46
    Posted: 07-November-2002 at 20:02

Can anyone advise to what might be the problem with my 318se 2001  which is well serviced by BMW. It just cut's out  for no apparant reason it as done it 3 times today. Stright line under no load, speed 40 mph it just dies and it is a right pig to start again. only the locale BMW Garage can't fit it in for 3 weeks (HELP)

Sponsored Links

pcbim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2002 at 09:41
Quote: Originally posted by den-cam on 07-November-2002

Can anyone advise to what might be the problem with my 318se 2001  which is well serviced by BMW. It just cut's out  for no apparant reason it as done it 3 times today. Stright line under no load, speed 40 mph it just dies and it is a right pig to start again. only the locale BMW Garage can't fit it in for 3 weeks (HELP)

i have heard  another story about this type of thing , car just cutting out dead , very dadngerous ,  i  cant remeber where i saw it ,  maybe it was a usa forum , but this guys  car was like 6 months old ,  he  had a new DME  , reprograms .  loads of stuff done  , but the BMW dealer coud not find the problem or solve it , in the end he had replacement car ,

My advice is get in touch with BMW UK   and keep on to them , i would take the car in and leave it there  , and tell them to sort it , as its far to dangerous to drive .If you need names adrresses etc  email me .

I think your car is fly by wire isnt it ?   ie  accelerator is just a sensor not cable , I had one as a loan car , when you put your foot down there is a momentary pause ,,,,,,,,, 

2002 320d tourer
den-cam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2002 at 12:23

Hi

Thanks for responding it must be some kind of electronic fault. Im now bricking myself. I bought the car 3 months ago from a garage that sells ex lease cars to get me on the ladder of owning one off the best cars around. And took out a warranty with them backed by the AA (£525 thank you) is it worth the paper it is written on we will see. My locale BMW garage that sevices my car said when i first bought it that it had too high a mileage to be still under the BMW warranty 74000. I think im going to have a battle on my hands with this one? It's that kind of fault thats not there all the time i hope when they plug it in to there diagnostic system they can find it. iv'e done 200 miles since it last cut out on Thursday and its been great. Im still waiting for the BMW garage to phone to fit it in. The only thing about all of this is i hope i don't regret buying BMW.

Cheers

Dennis 

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2002 at 13:57

The AA warranty should be ok, my wife bought a second hand Hyundai Accent MVi from the local main dealer, and paid £200 or thereabouts for one of these AA warranties.The car soon showed a fault where it would switch the choke on for no reason, causing the car to rev at 3000 rpm on no load, cut out, have no power etc,The part to fix it cost £958 + vat, they stood it no problem....we sold the car very soon afterwards.

Good luck

Best Wishes

Nigel

den-cam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2002 at 19:24

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the good news about the warranty I feel a bit better now?

All the best

Dennis

den-cam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2002 at 21:10

Good News

Rydale Sutton Coldfield sorted my problem a big thank you to paul on the service desk.  It was only my Cam-Belt sensor causing the car to cut out.  

pcbim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2002 at 10:40

Blimmy  thats a simple  code error on BMW tech system,, i had it changed also , took them 2 mins to diagnose it and 30 mins to  fit new

At least its sorted ,   oh  its a cam  sensor not cam belt sensor  as you dont have a cam belt 

So you are a happy e46er  now  

2002 320d tourer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic