Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhy did you buy an E36 M3?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did you buy an E36 M3?
    Posted: 24-January-2005 at 08:54

I already know why you bought an E30, because you're an enthusiast after an important bit of sports car heritage.

Having only just recently got myself an M3 (E36 EVO) after literally years of hand wringing, I've put a few simple technical queries up here -- requests for dyno graphs, acceleration times, and today a chip question. 

But looking through the posts it seems I've not really got any answers.  Then somebody puts up a picture of his M3 and Westfield painted pink and you're all falling over yourselves with opinions.

Now I'm not having a go at you guys at all -- it's a free country -- but why did you buy your E36 M3s?  I bought mine because they're quick.  Pure and simple.  They handle and they're quick.  Because of this I am interested in every aspect of the car that makes it quick, but it seems I might be in the minority.

Have any of you actually got an M3?  ;)  Could you care less how much power it's making?  Do you know how much power they actually make and what the torque curve is supposed to look like, or are you happy to put on a loud exhaust and tell the blokes down the pub it makes >321bhp?

Have you lowered your car and put on cool looking alloy wheels and paint on tyres?  Subwoofer?  Tinted windows?

I'm interested in the community we have here.

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links

Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2005 at 09:40
I bought one.... and very nice it was for banging up the motorway in but to be honest I didn't feel it really did handle that great

so I sold it
www.houlbrook.com
Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2005 at 09:42
Ask me if I'd ever sell the E30 M3 though... I think that's the point, the E36 is a good car make no mistake but I don't thin it really inspires.

(flame suit on)
www.houlbrook.com
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2005 at 09:48
Originally posted by __Andy__ __Andy__ wrote:

Then somebody puts up a picture of his M3 and Westfield painted pink and you're all falling over yourselves with opinions.

First you don't like my colour scheme, and then you insult my Caterham by calling it a Westfield!

Have a heart man... <sob>

JC , e30 m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2005 at 09:56
Andy, are you poking the e36 owners with a stick hoping for them to bite? I think this is a social as well as technical forum, enjoy it!

As for you Tim, please tell me that photo was a wind up!
jamie

jamie@carlin.co.uk
www.carlin.co.uk

89 Europameister
78 911 SC
93 MK1 MX-5
98 Ford Focus
pualo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2005 at 12:27

Andy,

I can't exactly claim to own an M3, even though my 328i's heart has been replaced with the 3.0 M3 engine - so its nearly there. For me it was a project that started because it was too good to turn down, and under the circumstances, a darn sight cheaper than buying a factory jobbie.

But I digress - to answer your question, I bought an E36 because I love the looks, the driving dynamics, and the simple feel I get when I see it on my drive every morning. I love it because that engine is simply a monster - the noise is heavenly, it pulls for ever, and because my car is somewhat of a sleeper (Boston Green, no M3 kit, just nice original 16" wheels and colour coded bumpers, sills etc) people don't expect it to be quick.

When I have got my wedding out of the way in March, I look forward to putting it on the rollers, and getting some proper figures.

'95 328iSE with S50 conversion
'98 Kawasaki ZX-7R Ninja
__Andy__ View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2005 at 12:59

I'm not trying to wind anybody up -- as an E36 evo owner myself I can hardly do that.

My point is that after only a few months' of ownership I have posed some very basic engine performance questions which I'd have thought any fellow owner would have had to hand.  But I'm getting no replies.

I'm puzzled because to my mind it's that engine which is by far and away the single biggest reason for even considering one of these cars. 

In the absence of many replies, I'm wondering if a)nobody has one and you're all 14 year olds with big ideas or b)you're more interested in some peripheral that I find of no consequence -- loud exhausts, lowering, alloy wheels, low profiles, subwoofers, BMW snobbery, etc.

Or perhaps, as has been pointed out to me, I'm just looking in the wrong place...

Andy

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2005 at 13:03
In answer to your question, yes I own an E36 3L M3 and have done for 3 years and love it-looks, power handling, everyhting about it.

BUT it runs fine and goes like absolute stink so I really don't feel any need to put it on the rollers and no I dont go around quoting how much bhp I have-if anyone cares that much I'll put my foot down next time I see them (oh yes it has got a non-BMW exhaust too).

I have got tinted windows and ACS handbrake handle, gearknob and pedal set,k&n panel filter ,Supersprint decat and backbox.

I am that interested in M3s and what they do that I arrange MK meets which have been predom Mpower cars and yes I am looking at chips and induction and suspension kits but its my 'feel' on how the car is driving, not to bolster my bhp.

I do know what you mean though....I posted re chip tuning on BM3W forum and the thread got moved from E36 section to performance mod section, 55 views and not a single answer.

John

Edited by Stone-IslandM3
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
m3kuk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2005 at 13:20
The club is planning a Dyno shootout this year.I fancy it,why don't you come along too?
As for performance posts etc,I usually reply to most M3 posts,but sometimes are too busy etc to log on.
You could always do a search to find stuff on the forum
that may have been covered before.
Let us know you questions again and I'll try to answer them.
Cheers,
Mike.

PikeyM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
E30 M3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2005 at 13:29

And as you are a newbie Andy you can't expect peopel to just instantly respect you or help you out.

Trust and respect takes time. Give other people on the forum help and advice first, then you can expect them to help and advise you.

And like M3kuk says, not everyone has the time or the resources to instantly help someone out.

Just enjoy the forum and use it for what it is.

Pikey

Old enough to know better, too young to care!
MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2005 at 14:24

Andy,

I own an M3 3.0L, I have had it for nearly 2 years. It has been a love hate relationship to be honest.....

I had a lot of problems with it when I first got it and no one could find the problem!  Once that was sorted I started to appreciate it. and now I love it. For the money there isnt a car that comes close to it in my opinion.

The main reason for buying it.

1, I wanted a quick car that looks nice and has all the toys to go with it.

2, The vader seats in the coupe look cool

3, The 3.0L straight 6 is a strong motor and doesnt have the vanos issues and the sound is great.

4, As a road car I find the handling really nice

I didnt go for the E30 M3 because they are getting old and it is a bit of a lottery buying a good one, knackered motor/ rust etc. It is LHD and its a 4 pot.

Im not having a dig at the E30 as I do love em.... it just didnt suit me as an everyday motor the E36 fits the bill better, if I had the money it would be an E46 M3.

Okay, the mods are

Cosmetic:-

Polished diamond cut EVO wheels, MOMO wheel, ACS interior bits. Short shift kit, GT corner splitters & CCFL angel eyes

Engine mods:-

Supersprint decat/ ACS rear box, Chip, Induction kit

I have also upgraded the brakes to grooved discs and fast road pads.

I have had the car dynoed and it was 293hp with the decat and the ACS rear box. I havent dynoed it after the chip and induction kit have been fitted.

The main reason I chipped it was because of the flat spot around 2000rpm and to improve the driveability rather than top end power.

Sorry if I havent answered your questions..... I have been in Oz for the last 6 weeks so havent seen them, If I can help I will 

p.s. here are some pics http://www.mavster.plus.com/mono.htm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/MONODUDE1/Monoangel.j pg

cheers AL

Edited by MONO
breeze View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2005 at 14:39

Hey Andy

Although I am sure you meant many of your points in jest, I would <flame suit on> tend to agree with some of the points you make <\flame suit on>

In response to your questions I have a few suggestions

- The e36 EVO is not the best drivers car in the world no matter what way you look at it and as a result is likely to have less of a following - certainly not the 'cult' following that the e30 cars have and as a result there less of the 'hands-on' owner types. E36 M-cars tend to be owned by bankers :o)

- Less people are interested in power with these cars because modifications are in the main not cost effective. People that spend the money tend to end up with limited returns whilst (for example) FI cars from the land of the rising sun seem to be able to gain a massive amount just by a little boost tuning. Don't forget that 100bhp/litre is already tuned pretty highly.

- Regarding the wheels/paint/subwoofer debate I would make my position clear in that I am interested in none of the above. Having said that I would say that a large proportion of the e36 enthusiast community in general is quite keen on such modifications. Is a 316 4-door with e46 wheels and M3 badges an enthusiast car? Maybe/maybe not but the community is there.

In answer to your initial question - why did I buy an e36 M3? Because as a compromise car (20k m-way per year and with any luck some track work) it is a fairly safe bet. Again if I had e46 money I would by an e46 car.

To be honest I did note that there wasn't much in the way of deep technical content in BMW forums for e36 M-cars before I bought my own and that is a shame. It would be great if we could get more hardcore e36 guys that could give advice on aftermarket tuning but that is the car as much as it is anything else.

Unfortunately the fact that our car didn't sell outside Europe means we can't benefit from engine specific questions on US forums although for more general issues I would suggest something like Bimmerforums which has a strong community and offers great advice on common areas. If you are interested in chips you could try e36coupe.co.uk although tunining advice is mainly exhaust/chip/induction and  cosmetics.

Good luck getting answers to your questions - my knowledge is limited but willing to share!

Edited by breeze
E36 M3 Evolution
DAWIEM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2005 at 14:58

Andy,

I own two E30 M3`s and one E36 M3 evo. I have had the EVO for 2 years now and just simply hate it. I don`t read posts on forums about them, as I have no intrest in E36`s. It only gets washed when the wife has nagged for weeks. It is just like having a Ford focus on the drive, common as terraced houses. 

The only reason why I have kept it because in a moment of insane madness, I promised my wife I would buy her one, and as a man of my word I did.  Its gets is regular servicing and service history is up to date, but I won`t lift a spanner to it. On the other hand, I service my E30`s every 5000 KMs, they get washed weekly, covers goes straight back on when finished., and no they are not garage queens either.

My E30 M3`s, would never sell either of them. Arrogant, maybe.

No, just spoilt by the Greatest Touring Car ever raced.

E30 M3 Road car ( Now in Hongkong )
E30 M3 Track Car
S14 2.0L 2002 in progress
E30 C2 2.7 Alpina
E36 M3 3.2 EVO
SundayJumper View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2005 at 16:22

Quote ...why did you buy your E36 M3s?

Fast enough to be fun, small enough to be manageable, big enough to be comfy, refined enough to do hours non-stop on the motorway, economical enough to avoid too many petrol station visits  

Quote Could you care less how much power it's making?

Mine's been dynoed once and made 275bhp.  Fine by me.

Quote Have you lowered your car and put on cool looking alloy wheels and paint on tyres?

No, and I'm not planning to either.  Unless some nice BBS LMs turn up cheap of course !

Quote Subwoofer?

Yep, two.  Does that make me a bad person ?

Quote Tinted windows?

No.

Then somebody puts up a picture of his M3 and Westfield painted pink...

Possibly a bit of photoshopping going on there  

Steve.

Sundayjumper - now with added 328 Sport
mogart1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2005 at 16:30

Hi Andy,
I bought my e36 M3 4 door, because I saw the top gear review way back in the early nineties (sorry can't remeber the year) an they did nothing but rave about it....to say its not a drivers car is rubbish in my opinion, all BM's are developed around the driver more than any other car, and the M's are more focused. It's focused for the road more than the track a la e30 though. What other car of this vintage is there that looks so right (not bling / boy racer), goes like the proverbial poo of a slippy stick and is a family car!!

Handling is a tricky one in some respects, I've found all the bm's i've owned(2 e30's an e34 and e36) take a while to gel, so you can't sum up the handling in a quick drive, or even a week. This is the heart of the BMW development process ( I have worked with BMW engineers on one project), they have more power than the pen pushers and it shows that they get what they want. The E36 was aimed to be exactly what it is. Doesn't matter to me the image it has, I know I love it for the right reasons.

Reliability? Well like has been mentioned 100bhp / litre is a lot, so there will be problems. I've looked on other M3 forums, talking about the E46, and am amazed at the amount of whinging of reliability, and loss of resale value on 50k mile 2 year old cars .....dah would you buy it unless it was cheap? Eyes open at all times, and like my wise Dad said 'look on the purchase price as a downpayment!!'

The only thing that surprises me at the moment is the number of people who use garages for all servicing, its probably something of a hangover of the dealer stamped book thing when buying / selling....not really worth a jot but we all do it.

blimey i'm ranting tonight!!!! What a good topic starter...

M3 S50 Saloon 'Individual'
tw99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 00:29

Now I'm not having a go at you guys at all -- it's a free country -- but why did you buy your E36 M3s?  I bought mine because they're quick.  Pure and simple.

Because: They're very fast, handle well enough, practical as an everyday car, and these days, relatively cheap to buy (if not to run).  I couldn't see any alternative for the price, so in effect, I HAD to buy one.

Have you looked at www.e36coupe.com  ? Plenty of people there interesting in modding (though it's all a bit Max Power for me really).

Edited by tw99
98 M3 EVO, Atlantis Blue
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 03:05
Originally posted by PikeyM3 PikeyM3 wrote:

And as you are a newbie Andy you can't expect peopel to just instantly respect you or help you out.

Trust and respect takes time. Give other people on the forum help
and advice first, then you can expect them to help and advise you.

Thats a joke, right? Or is this place really that far up it's own ****?

Edited by Rhys
David 87M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 07:18
Originally posted by _Tim_ _Tim_ wrote:

Yes this forum is up its own **** and comments like "And as you are a newbie Andy you can't expect peopel to just instantly respect you or help you out.
" proves that.
What a childish stupid thing to say!
We are all ment to help each other out New menber or old.
Unfortuantely there are some people here who think that because they have owned an M car for a few years they are experts

sad but true

Edited by David 87M3
PJSM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 07:39
Originally posted by David 87M3 David 87M3 wrote:

Originally posted by _Tim_ _Tim_ wrote:

Yes this forum is up its own **** and comments like "And as you are a newbie Andy you can't expect peopel to just instantly respect you or help you out.
" proves that.
What a childish stupid thing to say!
We are all ment to help each other out New menber or old.
Unfortuantely there are some people here who think that because they have owned an M car for a few years they are experts

sad but true

Well I don't know PikeyM3 from Adam but I suspect his post was a reaction to the question as to whether anyone on this forum owned an M3, had cool looking wheels, subwoofer etc,.............

I'm sure most people will gladly give any help they can on this forum but if they don't know, well, they don't know.

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 07:48
This is a free, open forum and as such people have the right to express their own oppinions (within the forum guidelines) and hopefully get something out of it as well.

V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic