Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Central Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBack to the Future !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2005 at 14:18

Dear John

Your efforts have to be commended...and I'm looking forward to all the events your trying to get off the ground .

With ref to Msn and emails it can't hurt to publish them on here..it can only help people speak to each other.....i found a mailing list away from the board a great help in letting people know whats going on. I've seen real results from this so thought it would be agood idea....I had also given the option to mail me direct away from the board so i coulds start a mailing list up.

Just think 1 list ....sent out to all interested at a click of the send button....it works.

I was trying a few things out in the central region to see if there was any interest but as you've kindly mentioned ''alot of looks but no posts'' ...... not even out of courtesy.

The idea of events like rolling roads and Karting is to get abit of spirit going and real friendship with people you've not met before just like all the hard work your putting in trying to get Meets of the ground.

Cheers

Phil

Sponsored Links

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2005 at 15:00
To a degree this is done already by PM and is how I made a lot of contact re the meets last year.

I see the way forward as branching off from the forum and getting write-ups and stuff advertised in the magazines plus hefty posting on the other forums.

Also, it might be useful for dealer sponsors to start talking to dealers about this.

Theres also the unfortunate prob of forum gradings. I put post after post on 3 other BM forums about the meets as a 'newbie' and got no responce, perhaps this has an effect??

Also, on your comparison with scoobynet IMO its different kettle of fish (?? )-scoobs aint been around as long, there arent so many obvious styles & registers & scoobynet is therefore a much more closely used forum. Look at BMs-E30,39,34,36,46,90 etc etc-loads of forums and most seem to have their own leaning- BM3W is predom E46 owners,E30zone is E30s E36coupe etc etc.

Also, scoobs are a lot more abundant than non-rep driven BMs. I gave up waving at E46 M3s or flashing lights at them cos most of the time I think they thought I was barking.

Dont forget that age old BM snobbery

John

Edited by Stone-IslandM3
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
xxgomxx View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2005 at 16:32

Look forward to meeting up with you John

Takecare

Phil

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2005 at 06:02

Comments ----All good stuff More postings seen than for years, eh John.!!! Some years ago, the Snobbery subject maybe could have been a reason, for some non interest in a particular type of event.Such is the diverse interest in so many different models now, that someone, somewhere in our region, Will be interested in a meetup--its getting the Info in front of them--as has already been said here.

The magazine is great for write ups, and if planned ahead far enough, some regular events can be listed --ie Phils Monthly PISS--but it take a lot of work ,to build up a committment to support them.

You only have to look back to Gaydon 04, to Go Forward for the Future-- different people enjoying a variety of subjects for nearly every model.One can ask drivers choice,s -they reply-you organise it-3 drivers turn up.So you go back to the small local pub type meets, around the region-not lots of driving Or Time--then have a few bigger events spread around the whole region, inc a Family event-to keep everyone happy.(Nearly) 

SAFETYFAST
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2005 at 16:34
Sorry everyone, I would come to the Central meeting, but unfortunately I have a prior engagement at Silverstone I can't break.

Keep me up to date on developments please - PM or E-mail me.

Thanks
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
piers66 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2005 at 14:21

Is the Gaydon meet in the museum? It might be daft to add that if it is entrance is 8 - I think you can go in cafe without going into museum but I think it might be an idea to let them know as it seems quite a few may be coming.

I'm trying to make it but car is not back on road yet from Cadwell prang. Looking forward to Mallory!

Piers - coming from Wolverhampton if anyone interested in "convoy".

piers66
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2005 at 04:11
At the Museum Entrance , as you go inside-sign to a Meeting room BMW Car Club.Can use Restaurant if early.
SAFETYFAST
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2005 at 07:54

I will do my best to be there John.

I'll have a word with Peter and Andy ( the curry boys ) to see if they are coming.

Viet-taff.......love it lol

Its just getting things that different people will attend.

Rolling road days...not interested

Karting/quad biking, maybe depends on cost, have the excuse of entertaining 8 year old son !

Pub meets etc, not really my bag, have kids etc, and work a lot, so spare time is too precious to not be doing something with them.

Curry nights are good, weve only had two of them, max three people attending and we cant even get our wives to come, never mind bmwcc members !

Driving events, I can help there, non track day stuff, enough people doing track days already, something like the north wests skid pan day I'm attending soon.

There was a superb East Anglian event I attended a couple of years ago, lunch in a French Chateau, it took all day to get there and back, but what a fantastic inexpensive day out !

Both Peter and myself have floated the idea of family days, with no response except the two of us, there are some great attractions in the region, let alone country wide, Severn Valley railway, west midlands safari park etc etc, even a picnic by the river whatever. There are also some great working farms around here, the kids love that sort of stuff, if kids are happy wifeys are happy !

Best Wishes

Nigel

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2005 at 13:57
 Nigel, thankyou!!!!!!! Agree with your idea,s --For the Family guys, it makes sense JUST ONCE-- to do a Family day-- THEN, if you want to do a "Boys Own" do-- you can ---and Not feel guilty  its getting it over to All , thats the BIG prob!!!!!!!!
SAFETYFAST
Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2005 at 13:58
Like the idea of family days. It was suggested last year for a meet at Stoke Bruerne and a canal trip.
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2005 at 15:21

Originally posted by Stone-IslandM3 Stone-IslandM3 wrote:

Like the idea of family days. It was suggested last year for a meet at Stoke Bruerne and a canal trip.

Now thats a cracker, its something we have never done, the kids would love it.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2005 at 15:47
Might be tempted to wander down fron the North, might even persuade other half to come if its on a weekend (sunday say) and driving distance from Wolverhampton.

Will keep tabs on this, see where it's going
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2005 at 04:20
 Isnt this the point,---- this type of event should be laid on, In the North-South-East and West Central regions.WE have the good locations, the good people and some great idea,s, we need the Motivation to GO do it.
SAFETYFAST
mick_n3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2005 at 05:49
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Originally posted by Stone-IslandM3 Stone-IslandM3 wrote:

Now thats a cracker, its something we have never done, the kids would love it.

Stoke Bruerne is 5 mins from me I'll pop over as soon as I can and see if I can get some details, if people are interested, would make a nice day out, there are a couple of family pubs there that do good food aswell.

piers66 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2005 at 16:14

Rhys

Gaydon is 1hr-ish from Wolves (I regularly commute from/to). If I can go then maybe meet up?

Piers

piers66
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2005 at 10:41
I've spoken to Andy ( badger540 ) he's coming, I also spoken to Peter ( peterh ) he's hoping to come but is working away a lot at the moment, so we will tie up later in the week.
Best Wishes

Nigel

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2005 at 10:53

Thankyou!!!!!!!!! ALL good Work is appreciated, Lets be the

BEST Region in the Country in "Come Alive in 2005"  and in the Future.     

SAFETYFAST
325SME View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2005 at 14:17
John (B 7 VP),

Thanks for getting in contact with me today, my e-mail address is steve@stephenestebanez.wanadoo.co.uk

Everybody else, hi, I'm the aforementioned Steve from the Brecon Beacons run last May as mentioned by John earlier.
Speaking as a native from the other side of the border, and probably the most easterly located of the Welsh, the big problem we have are the distances involved in attending meets and shows. For example Gaydon is a good 2 hour run from my house, moreso for my fellow club members further west. This lead me to organising a couple of runs around the Brecon Beacons last year, the first of which was kindly attended by John (B 7 VP, by the way, next time I want to have a closer look at the Alpina mate!). Each time the turnout was approx 7 - 8 cars which I found to be encouraging, although these were predominantly from the e30zone and the e36coupe forums.
However I'm looking to expand on these this year, some meets will keep the same format, after all some of the roads near me are used by car journalists for road tests, and some will be of a more general theme, say visiting places of interest. Another possibilty I'm looking at is to combine some meets with the Kuhmo/Miltek races as one of our Welsh members is in the process of preparing an E30 320i for the Miltek challenge.
Hopefully this will go some way to encouraging some activity in this part of the region.

Cheers
Steve

Retro is the way forward.....
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2005 at 09:03
 Hi Steve, Good to hear from you , and some plans for 05.You have some of the BEST driver Roads anywhere, so please put Your events up asap, to give time to fit all the dates in , and hope to see you and other Welsh areas drivers at Gaydon.WE need your idea,s
SAFETYFAST
Philrose View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2005 at 16:34

Sorry I can't be there but some of us work on Saturdays!

I've passed my comments to John and Darren so I won't repeat them here but you are all welcome to the Tuesday night Drive and Dines which start in Solihull. They've been going for 6 years and take place throughout the year come rain or shine.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic