Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW finally losing it’s desirability?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW finally losing it’s desirability?
    Posted: 25-March-2003 at 14:18

I see BMW are for the first time resorting to heavy discounts on a large part of their product range to shift stock (Autocar 25/03/2003). It looks like the brand is beginning to show signs of losing it's appeal.

I know that many of my friends who are mainly professional people would not be seen dead in a beemer as they associate them with all the clichés of the 'get rich quick' brigade of the 1980's. They think their image become very outdated and is the type of car you see oily old men driving such as Peter Stingfellow.

I think BMW have lost the plot. The cars no longer have any exclusivity and seem to be the car of choice on your local council estate.

Sponsored Links

Iain H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2003 at 20:54
Sorry but must disagree, would be interested in what you think is not dated. Perhaps you drive a mercedes or something similarly interesting !!
Hartge H27 Convertible
My Link
OwenE30 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2003 at 10:37

maybe we should get mondeos!

Regards Owen.

1989 E30 Register 318i Auto
Ralph View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2003 at 12:04

What I'm trying to say is that the desirability of car brands like so many other things in life is fickle.  I think BMW has already reached the height of it's desirability and now seem to be showing alarming signs of decline which will eventually lead to it becoming acutely unfashionable.  It's decision to make the brand more widely available through developing smaller cars which can be bought by anyone on an average income undermines it's core value of being an exclusive brand for the professional classes.  The people who now desire BMW are those who live on council estates and also think that brands such as Tommy Hillfiger and Versace are still exclusive even though you can now get them at knock down prices in your local ASDA.  The fact that this is happening puts off the professional and wealthy people who originally were associated with the brand as it no longer offers the status it once did.

Volvo now seems to be the up and coming new brand for the professional classes, in particular the XC 90 which offers a grater level of exclusivity than what BMW have to offer.  I think Audi will also fair better in the future than either of it's German counterparts BMW or Mercedes.  For me the two dark horses in the race are SAAB, if it gets it's act together with new models and believe it or not our very own Rover. If you look at some of Rover's future concepts such as the TCV they seem to have adopted a very radical and aggressive new approach which could well differenciate them from the competition.

Ralph View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2003 at 12:13
Sorry, forgot to add to my last post Alfa Romeo who have also seen massive sales increases.
Matt123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2003 at 12:26

So your saying that people on an average income can afford to buy a BMW but not a Rover?

If I could afford any car I'd buy a Vauxhall Agila

Ralph View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2003 at 13:44
Good point.  Admittedly the future Rover strategy is to compete directly with manufacturers such as VW rather than BMW, although it's larger cars will inevitably be in direct competition.  However this also illustrates quite well the shift that BMW is making by turning itself from a manufacturer of prestigious high value cars to run of the mill smaller cars in direct competition with VW.  Put simply BMW is trying to become Volkswagen, whilst a company such as Volvo which only makes prestigious high value cars will capture BMW's former market.
paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2003 at 14:14

BMW is simply reponding to the ever changing car market by bringing out smaller more economical and cheaper cars, they do still have a much higher standard of production than say the likes of ford, and they still produce some very exclusive and luxurious cars, the M5 for example how many people who live on council estates can afford one of those!

The rising price of fuel and road duty, company car tax etc is changing the average mans mind on what sort of car he wants, many business men still desire the BMW as its a sporty car with status unlike a vauxhall or a ford, nissan etc, the likes of volvo are more associated with the older more conservative fellow who doesn't want to appear too out going, and needs room for the dog and the children.

Of course people in council estates will think a BMW is everything, the same as the clothing brands you talk about, these people havent got a flashy house or garden and attempt to keep up with the middle classes by dressing the same and driving the same sort of cars. But just because people of a lower class can buy them doesn't mean they are loosing their exclusive image, ferrari's are exclusive but i'd much rather have a new Z8 or an M3, you'd get more respect driving an M3 than if you were driving a ferrari thats for sure.

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2003 at 14:15
Oh and why would you buy a rover, boring to drive crappy build and depreciation, wow they loose money quickly.

Visit My BMW
Ralph View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2003 at 16:15

The point I am making is that BMW are very heavily reliant on their reputation from the past when they were well ahead of the competition but that is no longer the case.  The market is changing, as their recent sharp drop in European sales and current need for heavy discounting reflects.  The competition have now caught up and BMW no longer offers the level of status which it once did.

Most of your criticisms of other marques no longer hold true.  Ford and Vauxhall et al have invested heavily and now have a comparitive level of build quality to that of a mass market BMW at a significantly cheaper price tag.  Volvo is shedding it's once conservative image, particularly with the XC 90 which is now 'the' car to be seen in amongst the young high profile elite wishing to show off a more sophisticated image than the aggressive but tired image that say a BMW X5 currently represents.  People are now looking for alternatives to BMW to show that they have status above the masses.

Finally your reference to Rover probably illustrates my point exactly.  Rover once dominated the executive car market during the 1950's and 60's in a way that BMW has in the 1980's and 90's.  Rover like all other successful companies became complacent in it's approach and through poor management and changes in buyers perceptions became unfashionable.  The very thing that now seems to be occuring with BMW.  The car industry is cyclical however, and perhaps ironically given the associations between the two companies Rover now seems to have found it's direction again with some bold new plans for future models which are gaining much critical acclaim in the motoring press.  Who knows, one day you might see Rover buying BMW!

paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2003 at 16:51

You put across some true points but i still think that after driving a bmw with over 100,000 miles on the clock and then driving a ford with similar mileage i can see the clear difference in the quality of the two marques.  In America BMW are still doing well my girlfriend is from the states and she considers BMW to be among the top brands for desirability and status, in line with Mercedes.  I don't think that Rover will ever end up being able to buy out BMW simply because they have lost to much face to be able to regain a strong hold in the market place.  Fords are not doing well either their main lines such as the mondeo and focus are not doing as well as they need to and they are being held up by the smaller brands that they own.  I'd still consider a BMW to be a status symbol and i'm sure most people would agree with me, ok they may have a yuppy image but they are still stylish looking fast and luxurious cars which answers many people description of the ideal car.

Visit My BMW
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2003 at 17:49

I see the point which our Afghan member is making, but I have one simple question - does one buy a car or a badge?

I bought my Z3 for its varied blend of qualities such as performance, handling and economy (maybe the importance I placed on that last quality means that I should not have been permitted to buy it!) rather than a desire to make my position in the scheme of things obvious to the lower echelons.

Unlike the self-styled 'professionals' (usually well-paid office boys!) I have sufficient self-confidence not to worry about the opinions of those with a wish to impress others of their wealth and/or status, and as for BMW being the car for the 'professional' classes - well!  All that 'professional' means is that one is paid for what one does.  Perhaps he would like BMW to underline their position by tacking an 'Executive' badge on the back, as per Ford of the 'sixties.

Enjoy the car, and forget about images - let's face it, if BMW still made cars for the few who could afford them, I doubt if even our Afghan member could afford them!  Come to that, BMW would have disappeared long ago - or maybe he would prefer the exclusivity of driving a 'forgotton' make?

Mike
dlg_e30 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2003 at 17:53

I dont understand how you can say BMW are not ahead of the competition?

as steve said drive any old car against an old BMW and you will see hwo good they are, as for the new cars in my opinion the mini is best in class, the 330d coupe has not exactly got many rivals, nor the M3 which i think is one of the best cars in the world full stop. I would say their biggest rivalry is in the 7 series sector. Volvo etc alfa and the rest have reeled the gap in slightly, but the image, customer service and general quality is not the same. Nor are the cars as good to drive.

David

E30 320I SE
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2003 at 21:51

Hey steady on guys, I dont live on a council estate, but I know some who do!! Not all people are these estates are undesirables, and as probably one of the clubs poorer members I resent the implications you seem to be making.I have found the club to be superb, and they are just as happy to help me with my £800 E34 as they are people with new cars.

The main reason you are now seeing so many beamers on these obviously undesirable council estates, is they were such dam good cars they go forever and become cheaper and cheaper to buy, which is exactly the reason I have one as a weekend toy.

I apologise in advance to any snobs out there who didnt know people like me were allowed to join the club!!

If anyone is put off buying a new beamer because the older ones are becoming more available, I suggest they should get out more.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2003 at 21:55
I forgot to add, I'm a professional chap, electronics engineer by trade, some of us prefer to spend money on children and life, we do not all crave some expensive status symbol
Best Wishes

Nigel

dlg_e30 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2003 at 08:18

Nigel,

very good point mate and i think you answered the original post aswell!

David

E30 320I SE
OwenE30 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2003 at 11:18

If i may be so bold, I drive a BMW because, its always been the car I wanted since a young boy. Its more a hobby than any form of status symbol. How on earth does where someone lives have anything to do with it, that’s just  being prejudice. I am pleased that people keep the older shape BMWs alive and well, after all, these cars are the heratige that makes the cars what they are today! The people who take on these cars are stars in my opinion.

Well said Nigel :-)

Regards Owen.

1989 E30 Register 318i Auto
paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2003 at 21:41
Yeah sorry for using council estates as a stereo type not intended to insult anybody just the norm used to be if you lived on a council estate you weren't wealthy enough to buy a BMW or a product of similar value, which of course is not true now as most houses are privately owned and many are in desireable inner city locations which command high prices.

Visit My BMW
Ratbark View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2003 at 00:32

I cant believe the utter rubbish Ralph has written!

If his sole intention is to knock BMW (see other thread regarding sales figures), then I would suggest he follows his own advice, buys a Volvo, and takes his comments elsewhere. It's these type of comments that enrage both current, and previous BMW owners, irrespective of their background/residential status. 

I have finally purchased an E30 M3, after waiting 14 years to be in a position to do so, and so far have felt very welcome to the BMWcc. This the car I have always longed for.

Ralph, does it then bother you that Im a qualified BMW technician, who is more than capable of working on your car, yet I come from a working class background, and live on a normal, everyday housing estate? If it does, then I suggest that you follow the advice of some of the other members, and get out into the real world a little more often.

Well said to all those who have put this gentleman in his place.

Rant over

Regards

Mark.

Dann View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2003 at 14:36

I've heard you mention that a BMW has a certain desired 'status' symbol about them. I must disagree and would never buy a BMW due to the stigma attached to them!

I do think that the car you drive portrays the person you are (or want to be in some cases!).

I know that for the status I wish to achieve (sophisticated, elite and yet thrill-seeking) I would not hesitate to buy a Jaguar S-Type R.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic