Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked523i or 528i se

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 523i or 528i se
    Posted: 22-March-2003 at 17:49

Hi i am looking to buy a bmw 523i se/528i se 1997/98 can any one please tell me what i should look out for when i go to see one

thanks

george

Sponsored Links

Matt123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2003 at 11:23

I recently (2 months) ago bought a 1997 (R) 523i SE, an absolutely quality motor.

On a 97 car on average miles an inspection 2 service could be due very soon (around 70-75k) which could set you back around £400, or it may have been done recently. It's worth checking out. My car had just had it's inspection 2 when I bought it.

bmwfive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2003 at 16:39

I own a E39 523SE, Registered Aug.1998. Things to look out for:-

Problems with engines, pre June 1998 with Nicasil bore coatings caused by high sulphur fuels. No problem if you have a BMW warranty as they usually change short engine or reline bores.Main dealers should tell you if this on the car's history. Symtoms, are high oil consumtion and deteoriation in power.

Dry window seals sometimes cause slight squeaky noise but this can be cured with lubrication.Other wise a great car and a pleasure to drive.

AL.

Matt123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2003 at 17:02

bmwfive,

How do I find out if my car has Nicasil bore coatings??, do all pre 98 E39 523's have this coating??

Cheers

Matt

bmwfive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2003 at 21:37

Dear Matt 123,

As far as I know the Nicasil bore coating problem was a problem with most engines up to about June 1998. A friend I work with had a 523 from new, and at about 26K miles he lost oil pressure and full power. BMW repaired very quickly. With my own 523 I experienced difficulty in finding out if the engine had been changed. BMW have assured me the engine has not been changed or repaired. It would be safe to say that pre August 1998 registered are likely to have Nicasil coatings on the bores.When the block is changed I have been told by a BMW technician that a plate on the block indicates the change. BMW also hold info in the car's database history.

Is there any BMW technicians have any info?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic