Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockednewbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: newbie
    Posted: 24-March-2003 at 14:36

Hello,

I could be going to look at a 1989 'F' e34 535i and need a bit of advice. Car has covered 116k, 3 owners, recent work carried out uncludes new suspension, brakes and steering but has no service records. What should I be looking out for, especially ref the engine and any none faults. Car will be pretty cheap ( under a grand ) so could be a bargain, any tips will be much appreciated,

cheers Ben

Sponsored Links

stevieboy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2003 at 19:00

Ben without any service records or history you're in the hands of the gods...thats my opinion.Depending on how cheap you can buy the car then, perhaps you to some extent can over come this.Look for good positive steering action while driving,check steering wheel for signs of extreme wear.Worn drivers seat is always a give away of really high milers.Worn clutch and brake pedal pads is another along with worn carpets around pedals.In engine area check engine oil is  light brown in colour this will indicate regular oil changes,check for any oil leaks from engine.listen to engine it should be very smooth and exhaust clear from blue or white smoke thats enough to be going on with ben, i could go on and on

good luck ben..steve k.

bennotech View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2003 at 08:08

cheers for the info Steve, I must admit I'm a tad dubious of buying without history, will see how it goes,

Ben

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic