FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 M3 18" wheels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
S50 ZM Coupe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2004 at 12:33
Im also running 18"'s with 225/35 tyres, no probs here either....cant say ive noticed the accelration as the car had the wheels when bought.....and nobody has let me had a drive of theres... but mine will be slower than a lot of other anyway......its a converts and ive got the hard top on aswell
"Signatures may contain 1 or more images placed horizontally up to a max total height 150px, max total width 600px, max total size 25k."
1991 Macau converts has gone
Now I've got a ZM Coupe
Sponsored Links

PikeyM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
E30 M3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2004 at 13:19

Curtis at Powerstation had his M3 on 18's. Personally I thought they looked a bit big, but maybe it is just the look of the rim.

But darylzimm3's rims look sweet!

Pikey

Old enough to know better, too young to care!
rezaq View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 07:07
Darryl,

Your rims look awesome!

Went for wheels last night - looked absolutely amazing on 18's. 16" BBS are nice but dont cut it against the 18.

Uwe was right with 225/40 rubbing at the front. We tried 225/35 and it was ok.

255/35/18 on the rear was too wide, so we went for 245/35/18 instead.

Tyres are Falken FK-451 all round.

Collection and fitting this evening!

P.s - Can you still lower the car with 18's?
Reza Q BEng (Hons), MEng, MIEE

1991 320I SE Lux coupe, 145K
1990 325I Sport Auto, 143K
1988 M3, 65K
MCC1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 08:38

I'll give my tuppence worth - I have the std 15"  BBS wheels on my E30 M3 and would definitely NEVER stick on a set of 18" - for various reasons.

One being it'll ruin the ride - esp. with 35 section tyres.  

Another meaning it will tramline badly on road imperfections (which I really hate - this will make the car a lot slower in normal roads as the steering will be all over the place). 

Plus it'll DEFINETLY dent your acceleration - this is a fact, anyone who try to claim counter is simply wrong.

Another reason would be the cost of tyres, 15" tyres are dead cheap - 18" one isn’t.

Plus it'll totally ruin the handling of you M3 - these cars weren’t designed to run on 18" wheels.  If you lower it, it'll make it even worse and will most like damage you car if you are driving it hard.  I like to break traction as much as possible, the M3 is an excellent handling car and that’s why I bought it, for reaching the limit & sliding in a controllable manner.   Not for outright speed or cornering grip (buy a 4WD car if that’s what you want)  but for handling balance and with narrower tyres it easier to get the car to slide.  I know you can still fo it with wider tyres but it's much easier with narrow ones for the cars power.  

Plus you don’t want to be putting 18" rear tyres on your car too often -cost again.

I also don’t think 18" wheels look right on an E30 M3, make the car look slightly over wheeled.  Modern cars (like an E46) suit big wheels.

I don't intend to change the wheels in my car but if I was it would be 16" max.  17's look grand but I feel even these would spoil the handling

all IMHO

Radar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 09:23
I tend to agree.

But I'll add that 18's will tear your bushes to pieces as well. It will also transmit more load on to your steering rack as well. That was an expensive nightmare to replace on when I had my E30.

While 18's might look sporty and extreme (though I am beginning to think 'extreme XR2i') I think you'll find they do nothing but harm to the dynamics of your car.

Remember when the E46 was launched they said that even though most people would probably go for the optional 19's, 18's were much better suited to our roads in the UK...

Not recommended, but if you must...
darylzimm3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 10:22
Originally posted by MCC1 MCC1 wrote:

I'll give my tuppence worth - I have the std 15"  BBS wheels on my E30 M3 and would definitely NEVER stick on a set of 18" - for various reasons. 

Plus it'll totally ruin the handling of you M3 - these cars weren’t designed to run on 18" wheels.  If you lower it, it'll make it even worse and will most like damage you car if you are driving it hard.  I like to break traction as much as possible, the M3 is an excellent handling car and that’s why I bought it, for reaching the limit & sliding in a controllable manner.   Not for outright speed or cornering grip (buy a 4WD car if that’s what you want)  but for handling balance and with narrower tyres it easier to get the car to slide.  I know you can still fo it with wider tyres but it's much easier with narrow ones for the cars power. 

Beg to differ there, so what size rims did some of the E30 ///M3 DTM cars run on... ????????????????????????????????????????????????????

18"s 

OK there full on race cars, but thats where our ///M3's technology came from, the race track...

So i would say that somewhere down the line that they were designed for 18", or how could it be ?

And as for the other chap, comparing an ///M3 on 18" to a XR2I

Thankyou please   and Merry Chrismas        &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;     And Good Will to all E30 ///M3 owners...       

2002SportEvo View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 10:29

Eh.......you cannot compare a Group A / DTM  race car to a standard road car.......I think you'll find the geometry and components are all different.........

Everyone has their own thoughts though

2002 SportEvo    
PJSM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 10:33

Yes, but the DTM track cars were massively strengthened to counter loadings arising under race conditions and running bigger wheel combinations and almost solid suspension. They also ran on surfaces somewhat smoother than good old British Tarmac.

Put on some 18'' race BBS wheels and your car will look fantastic. As for the ride and detrimental effect I can only guess it'll be awful.

Edited by PJSM3
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 10:45

Was not comparing a Group A / DTM car to a road car, just that at some level 18" wheels had been put on to ///M3s.

Cheers  

PJSM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 11:01
IMHO these cars are all about the sensitivity of steering and suspension responses and this can be easily upset. Slap on some 18'' wheels and you'll dull those responses if not ruin them altogether. That said I can stand back and admire a great looking set of larger wheels on a car if that's your thing. I appreciate that looks are as important, if not more important, than how the car drives for some people. But not me.
m3Cecotto View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 11:04
The point about 35 section tyres above all else is that they are bloody uncomfortable for day to day use.  Too firm - no "springing effect", but it's your car.  It's up to you.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 11:13
Click to view full size image
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 11:15

Yes to true on all counts...

" She looks good though "

PJSM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 11:19

Agreed

Circumvent the argument; have one set of 15/16'' for driving and the 18''s for show then we're all happy.

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 11:46
.....yes but DTM cars did run on 18" rims.
The road M3 might have something in common with a DTM car (the Badge?) but it's a completly different car under the skin and purpose build to race.Look here for some details.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Ian Godney View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 12:27

Personally I prefer 18" wheels for handling , the tyre walls are smaller so you dont get the tyre bending under so can corner faster , if it gets too firm with no 'springing effect' you could always fit softer springs , I prefer to run as bigger wheels as possible so you can run bigger brakes , so much better stopping.

With bigger diameter wheels , as the outside radius is flatter you will get more tyre on the ground , a bigger footprint if you like , so more grip.

I think the cars look awesome on 18's , each to his/her own , it would be a bit boring if we all liked the same thing

The only downside is our crap roads which you will get tramlining

www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk
MCC1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 12:50

In response to a DTM car having 18” wheels, yes – as others have mention a DTM car totally different animal to a E30 M3 road car and is used on super smooth german racetracks etc - there is no need to go into this discussion further.  I don’t want to & didn’t mean to offend anyone, sorry if i did.  I was just giving my opinion.  I used to have a E36 325 Coupe with 17” AC Schnitzer wheels, lowered with new eibach dampers, springs etc [plus AC schitnzer rear bumper spoiler, M-Tech kit etc].  It really looked the part, had a great stance [far nicer than any E36 M3 I ever saw] but it was a total nightmare on anything but really smooth A roads.

The 18” on the silver car posted certainly look the part, no denying that  & you could stick on the 15/16’s if you wanted to take your car to a track etc

Rgds

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 12:59
HERE, HERE !!!!!!!!!!    18" FOR ME !!!!!!!!    AND ONE OF THOSE GROUP A / DTM BADGES LIKE OFF A PROPER ///M3...  Click to view full size image
Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 13:03
Whatever about 18's....check out that sweet carbon intake, gots ta get me one for my car......absolute quality mate
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2004 at 13:36
Daryl, what did you do regards air filter?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic