FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBrake wierdness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake wierdness
    Posted: 19-March-2003 at 21:08

Hi :)

i HAVE A 1990 525I SE

when i brake,especially at higher speeds,my steering wheel vibrates like a washing machine,i have no idea what this is ,could it be the brake disks? bushes ? i have no idea,please help me ;)

Thanks alot

Sponsored Links

ultimate beemer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2003 at 22:01
hi mate i was just abuut to put a post up about the same think. But my beemer is a 520i 95 on a Mreg with solid front disc on it and they come fron euro car part put on in september and now it's back again. change the wheels but still there help please?????
nrg! View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2003 at 22:23

Hi,

It could be anything from warped discs, tracking out of alignment or tyres incorrectly balanced or inflated. However, I had that occur on my cars twice and it was the discs warped. Have kwik-fit do one of their free brake checks and see if that comes up with anything, (Make sure you keep an eye on them though!!!!) LOL!  With regard to solid discs, vented ones are much better as they dissipate the heat better which in turn prevents the warping.

Andy.

ultimate beemer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2003 at 22:57
thank mate as for vented disc  that i now thay are batter disc but you can only get solid disc for the 5201 24valve 95 model ?????
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2003 at 23:00

Thanks a lot for the help m8 :) im gonna get it checked out,,how much we talking for a new set of front disks?My car is also lowered does this make any difference ? tyres are 253,40,17 so i dont think its rubbing,apart from that its the best damn car ive ever had ;)love it to bits,cant beat a beemer ;)

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2003 at 08:21

Agree with NRG completely, If your discs arent vented then you are likely to have over heated them and warped them, you should also feel the brake judder slightly on the pedal..

However an out of shape tyre or misbalanced wheel is another common reason, you could have lost some weights of a wheel.

Thanks

Marc Wilson

charlesjs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2003 at 08:29

got the same prob on my 535i.  smooth to the ton, but decelerating between 65 > 55 reasonably bad shake, if braking at the same speed then the shake's awful. (would therefore point to brake discs, which's been suggested before)  Had wheels balanced, a cheap fix if it works, but it didn't (surprise, surprise).  So I guess it's a couple of new discs as well.

stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2003 at 12:18

Had the same problem with mine, was advised that discs were slightly warped so replaced them which made no difference at all. Have now replaced top ball joint arms, bushes(they were shot to f***), drop link and drag link. I can now brake as hard or soft as I like without any shudder at all.

Just thought I'd put my two pence in, as you can see I've went down the expensive route but it maybe gives you an idea of what can cause this problem, I just hope your problem is the easy one

regards

stevie

///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrà mai tedesco di nuovo haha
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic