Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Website Forum > Website Announcements & Feedback
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMembers Only forum section

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Should this be protected by membership number entry to gain access?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [39.13%]
14 [60.87%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2004 at 13:59

Originally posted by Goldryder Goldryder wrote:

There was an Audi at Aberdeen but makes no odds...doesn't make any difference what car anyone owns or turns up to a meet in.  If they are enthusiasts of a marque but can't always afford to own one or theirs is off the road for some reason, who are you or anyone else to judge them to be unwelcome?

I know several people who don't own a BMW but who are enthusiastic about them Stephen.

Not everyone has the finances to drive about in one, but that shouldn't stop them taking an active part in a club, website or meet.

maybe its a case of putting your money where your mouth is, early e36's are very reasonable money these days, and you bought your big ol' 6 for a song

Edited by stephenperry

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Sponsored Links

stephenperry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2004 at 14:02

To be brutally honest Stephen, is this to do with the club membership fee and what you get out of it, or more to do with the fact you have a certain amount of sour grapes due to being banned for 24hrs for swearing the other night?

You made it perfectly clear that you thought it was unjust that you got tugged without any notice.

Maybe I am incorrect, in which case I apologise, but the timing does seem a little bit strange.

this has absolutely nothing to do with my temporary ban, however unjust i think it may be to ban someone without sufficient warning, and im still waiting for an explanation as to why this occurred.

i resent the fact that you bring it up, trying to show me in a bad light perhaps?

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Daz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2004 at 14:15

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

you got tugged without any notice.

Now *that* sounds like a perk that would make the 35 worth spending...

ahmen. 

2009 E92 M3 - Milltek

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2004 at 14:43
lets get away fraom bmw... i mean would you honestly expect to turn up to a ferrari owners meeting in a skoda octavia and expect to fit in?  my case rests

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Goldryder View Drop Down
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2004 at 16:51
At the end of the day a car enthusiast will travel to meets in whatever car they have, whether its one featured at the meet in question or not.  They also like to keep abreast of all things new and possible problems incurred with owing a particular marque.

Sites like this are an invaluable source of information not readily available in dealerships or magazines, thus those who wish to purchase a car or just have an interest in the marque can join the site and read up on things and enjoy friendly banter with owners.

Meets are open to everyone, for instance, earlier this year I went to the RS meet at Beaulieu..there were several BMW's there by invitation, and there were other marques there both on display and in the carpark..the car I took was a Toyota Turbo Supra.  We were all treated as equals and were well received by everyone.

Doesn't make any difference if you own a Reliant Robin or a Rolls Royce, when you go to a meet, you go cos you have an interest in cars.

Having a closed section of this site would alienate those who might buy a BMW in future and as some have already stated, could well push those members of the site away from it.

This site is one of the best organised and the best run site I have come across, lets not spoil it.
October 2-6 2008 - Houston, Texas - Long Distance Wedding
March 15-April 1 2009 - Transatlantic Cruise
October 10-25 2009 - China, Korea, Taiwan & Japan Cruise
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2004 at 16:59

@Stephen:- you were banned by one of the moderators for breaking the rules. You were lucky you weren't banned again since thain as I (and all the other moderators) recieved complaints about a post you made last night! A reason does not need to be given but from what I gather, you had recieved plenty of advanced warning!

Anyway, getting back on topic. This fourm has about 4000 members. Who is going to sit down and sort these into club member or not? Who is going to pay for their time doing this? Furthermore, in order to do this a list of club members will have to be given to the person doing the processing. Im sure many members don't want a non office or committee person looking at their membership details which would be protected under FoI legislation! 
This job of processing member/non-member would have to be ongoing (adding new club members, removing people who haven't renewed their membership, etc.).
By the way, I neither want nor will accept this type of role!

WRT the last point about non-members attending events, I believe that this is only certain types of event. The better driving (track) days organised by the club are members only afaik. Also, for example the Irish region had a meeting today about how the year went and what kind of thing to do next year. Non members would have no voice in this at all! I have also found that non members coming to an event usually results in the person joining the club as they enjoy themselves  at said event!

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2004 at 17:05

fine.

maybe "website announcements and feedback" is a misnomer.

feel free mr. moderator to censor this thread at will, as the club vehemently values the opinions of people who don't own nor drive bmws over those who do, i thought this was a club for owners and drivers, obviously i was wrong, and for that i am sorry, i promise to pay more attention to the small print and to turn the other cheek to those who goad and make fun, resulting in my aforementioned banned status and the post i made in jest at 3:07am this morning, albeit an edited picture, which i subsequently retracted for fear of offending those who do not have a sense of humour

Edited by stephenperry

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 00:15
...erm.

there isnt much to say realy as regards to benfits of being a club member..

1, saved about 100 on car insurence through club.
2. saved about 20%+ on RAC cover (about 22).
3, could have saved on cost of travel inn if I'd known they did discount at the time.

...any more, car parts, certain BMW garages etc... the list goes on.

...and all for 35. Bargain I'd say.

As for a members only site, what exactly is going to be discussed on this secret society section? I didn't join the club to be an elitist, I joined because I happen to like BMW's (currently on third one at mo). If I'm not mistaken, the name happens to be BMW Car Club GB, not BMW Owners Club GB.. And even if I had bought something else I would have stayed a member.

Looks like it's handbags at dawn...
walk 3 paces, turn and swing...

(poor dawn)
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 05:59
Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

fine.

maybe "website announcements and feedback" is a misnomer.

feel free mr. moderator to censor this thread at will, as the club vehemently values the opinions of people who don't own nor drive bmws over those who do, i thought this was a club for owners and drivers, obviously i was wrong, and for that i am sorry, i promise to pay more attention to the small print and to turn the other cheek to those who goad and make fun, resulting in my aforementioned banned status and the post i made in jest at 3:07am this morning, albeit an edited picture, which i subsequently retracted for fear of offending those who do not have a sense of humour

1. why do you think it is a misnomer. You left feedback and people respoinded to it. I merely stated that it would cause an administration nightmare and that I was not willing to accept the job of administrator under those conditions.
2.why on earth would I censor this thread?
3. "as the club vehemently values the opinions of people who don't own nor drive bmws over those who do" - this opinion is based on what?
4. Neither I nor anyone else minds people goading or having fun - however, you do so within the rules. I have enough to do without having to respond to complaints!

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 06:22

lets get away fraom bmw... i mean would you honestly expect to turn up to a ferrari owners meeting in a skoda octavia and expect to fit in?  my case rests

I disagree totally. If I was a fan of Ferraris and was interested in  finding out more about ownership etc I would join the club and turn up to meet in order to speak to owners. I would do all this before actually buying one!

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 06:36

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

...erm.

there isnt much to say realy as regards to benfits of being a club member..

1, saved about 100 on car insurence through club.
2. saved about 20%+ on RAC cover (about 22).
3, could have saved on cost of travel inn if I'd known they did discount at the time.

...any more, car parts, certain BMW garages etc... the list goes on.

...and all for 35. Bargain I'd say.

As for a members only site, what exactly is going to be discussed on this secret society section? I didn't join the club to be an elitist, I joined because I happen to like BMW's (currently on third one at mo). If I'm not mistaken, the name happens to be BMW Car Club GB, not BMW Owners Club GB.. And even if I had bought something else I would have stayed a member.

Looks like it's handbags at dawn...
walk 3 paces, turn and swing...

(poor dawn)

Well said.

Club members, like myself, get plenty of benefits and I don't see the need to have a separate 'members only' section on the forum.

What would we discuss in this section?

Although by the same token I don't think that if there was a separate section for members only it would necessarily alienate all the non members. It wouldn't have bothered me when I first started visiting the website.

Ultimately if it is an admin nightmare as Killian says then it's deffinately not worth the effort Big Smile

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 06:58
Like I said yesterday, I'm not a full member, for various reasons and have been forced to sell the 635, but that wouldn't stop me coming on the site if the opportunity arises in the future.  The people I have either 'spoken' to via the site or met in person have been extremely nice, open minded people and the site is run exceptionally well.  People would be put off by a private section as it would reinforce the notion that BMW owners feel they are above everyone else.  Which most of us on here, member or not, knows is incorrect.

I have made friendship on here that will  last a very long time after I leave.

Killian is totally correct that the admin side of organising a private section would be horrendous and probably a complete waste of time too.

'If it ain't broken, don't fix it'

Edited by Goldryder
Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 07:13

My brother in law was a member of the Rolls & Bently owners club & he did not drive one, He was made very welcome at the events

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 07:24
Its like the Beaulieu RS Ford meet earlier this year.  I went to that, the BMWCC was invited along too.  There was a very healthy mix of car marques, not just RS Fords.  Everyone was treated as an equal, everyone was warmly welcomed to look at the cars and to ask questions...no matter how daft the questions might be.

Car enthusiasts are like a big family. Doesn't matter which car you own or rave about or wish you could own given the chance.  Interaction with owners is the very very best way to find out about the real marques..how they drive, problems incurred that maybe the builder didn't realise about...there is a wealth of knowledge to be had on sites like this one, and others like it.  These sites are excellent for giving potential buyers a true and unbiased insight into ownership, the pitfalls, the good bits and the wishlists of things ownerd wished had been built into a marque.

This forum is for announcements and feedback....well in all honesty, the entire site is a source of feedback, and that shouldn't be stuffed behind a barrier.
Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 07:33

Its like the Beaulieu RS Ford meet earlier this year.  I went to that, the BMWCC was invited along too.  There was a very healthy mix of car marques, not just RS Fords.  Everyone was treated as an equal, everyone was warmly welcomed to look at the cars and to ask questions...no matter how daft the questions might be.

Car enthusiasts are like a big family. Doesn't matter which car you own or rave about or wish you could own given the chance.  Interaction with owners is the very very best way to find out about the real marques..how they drive, problems incurred that maybe the builder didn't realise about...there is a wealth of knowledge to be had on sites like this one, and others like it.  These sites are excellent for giving potential buyers a true and unbiased insight into ownership, the pitfalls, the good bits and the wishlists of things ownerd wished had been built into a marque.

This forum is for announcements and feedback....well in all honesty, the entire site is a source of feedback, and that shouldn't be stuffed behind a barrier.

Think this sums up the issues very well, if its members only there is the aspect of being seen as Elitist.

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 08:50
There is also another, more unpleasant side to a private area that should be taken into consideration.

One site I was on for some time, and have recently returned to after many weeks, has a private area.  Admittedly this 'problem' on the site in question has now been sorted but the damage was still done at the time.  Some members who feel they are being persecuted or have dislikes of others, who are non members, can and do use the private areas to stoke up animosity.  They do this in the full knowledge that the 'target' is unable to see or defend themselves against by virtue of it being done behind closed doors.

I am not saying this would happen on this site if a private area was introduced...I personally think Killian and the other mods run a tight ship and this behaviour would be jumped on immediately...but the opportunity would be there and sometimes the staff aren't on the site to stamp it out straight away and if any nasty or offensive posts stay put for even a matter of minutes, the damage will have been done.

The temptation to use a private area as a personal retribution area is very real and it does happen.  This site is a very friendly one and I for one wouldn't want that to change.  Open sites like this leave no room for unpleasantness, even if some might feel they are being got at, nothing on here is in any way derogatory cos its all out in the open and on the odd occasion it does become nasty, then its sorted very quickly.  Private areas can cause resentment, ill-feeling and to a degree, paranoia amongst people.  Least here everything is in the open, for all to see and for all to comment on or deal with.

A 'them and us' syndrome would come about if this site had a private area, and that would bring the site down eventually.  We are one big happy family and as with all families we have arguments amongst each other, but at least its in the open.

Edited by Goldryder
Nick View Drop Down
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 11:39
Here are some of my views.. you have heard them many times before.

Q; Forum open to non members?
A; Absolutely yes.. it reaches out to far more people than we could have ever done before.
There is no need for a 'members only' section.. our magazine does that job.

Q; is 35 good value?
A; you bet.. You only get out of a club what you put in. If you are active within the club and actually organise or take part in events then you will get a lot out of it. I am afraid that if you expect us to provide a service and come along and entertain you then yes, you may be disappointed.

Q; Dont drive a BMW to events?
A; Nor do I, I tend to use the works van most of the time.. please don't exclude me!

better get back to Croft'05.. someone has to do it!!

Nick
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 12:16

I have wavered on the side of a members only section, but have now gone back to my original stance on a totally open forum.

Apart from Killians very well made point of who is going to sort it all out, this forum is a tool to encourage people to join the club.

We also get input from time to time from BMW franchise staff, and other independant proffesional people, we certainly dont want to lose that.

And as for your banning Stephen, I have lost count of the times I have warned you, and only not done it at the time as I see you as a good chap who gets a bit excited at times.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Torch Str8 6 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 14:30

agree with P Fenwick

its pretty poor showing if u dont welcome people showing up to meets in a different make of car, they may have a genuine interest and wish to meet with the people to see wot sort of community it is and this may reflect there decision in buying another make of car and joining said community

ive been along to the killdrummy meet and can say its a great bunch o peeps and the atmos was warm and friendly  even if the tea was a bit on the steep side LOL

i voted no btw

Summer Project on its way......
mell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2004 at 11:37

i think its pick on stephen thread!he was just asking a question and it seems hes getting slatted for it!

i am not a member was thinking about becoming one but to be honest didnt feel the need to at this moment in time,it wouldnt bother me if there was a members only section where only members could use,it would be a little perk for members that put money into the club.and as for people going on the section and talking about non members etc who cares!!! i can see some of stephens points and i can see others to,to me this site is starting to get a bit petty with banning people and locking threads etc are we not aloud to voice our opinons?i myself havnt been to a cruise or a meeting where it has been a certain make of vehicle other than what i own, even tho i am intrested in all makes of cars,i wouldnt say stop others coming to meets and joining in but within reason,i do take pride in my car and when it is a meet with other bmw car owners we appriciate and understand each others vehicle and respect our cars,if you get people there that are just being nosey etc it would cheese me off!!

thats my opinon for what it is worth,as i said i see it from both sides just dont think its kool when someone asks a question and everyone jumps on the ban waggon, after all were all here to help each other and make friends.

Edited by mell
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic