Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > The Big CoupĆ© Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnother "H" reg 635 (long with pics)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another "H" reg 635 (long with pics)
    Posted: 03-November-2004 at 14:39

I was having tyres swapped from my  8.5 x 17 ET 13 Hartges (FOR SALE PM  for details) onto the gorgeous BBS split rims at the weekend. 

The tyre fitter said, "There's one of these lying just round the corner.  Hasn't turned a wheel in years." So I obviously went for a look and found a black 635 Highline registered H16 BMW.  It was definitely an H reg as the tax disc, though out of date, matched the registration.

My "informant" told me that it was taxed only to let it sit on a public road and hadn't moved for the time it was parked on the road and was then moved.  The owner wasn't about so I left my number for him to call me.  He did and I went to see it today.

Before I did, I spoke with Ivan who had previously indicated that there were only two known, the one that has been touted all over eBay for a few weeks (H844 KFH) and another one, H2 OPS and we wondered if this car was H2 OPS with a new number.

The chap has had the car since it was first registered, though he is not its first owner.  It was bought and kept unregistered by Sir Anthony Bamford or his father Joe (as in Joe Cyril Bamford, JCB).  The current owner bought it, still unregistered, in about February 1990, from an agent and paid "a couple of thousand" less than the last list price (£34000?).  He then kept it unregistered until the August when he was able to put the H16 BMW registration on it.  It was his third choice of numberplate, but it's difficult  to imagine a better one for the car. He tells me that he was contacted by a BMW dealer offering him what he had paid for it.  They wanted to buy it for a customer who wanted a new 6, but that they wouldn't pay for the number plate.  He knew that an H reg big six is a very rare beast but thought that this was the only one.

Anyway he has kept it since and used it pretty regularly clocking up 90000 miles until about 2 years ago when he put it off the road because of "a few wee niggly things".

It's VIN number dates it as produced in June 88 and it's 25 from the end of production of that particular model.  I was wondering if it might be a Motorsport.  Am I right in thinking that the last 25 were Motorsports or is that my imagination?  No M badges (though I recollect somebody on here saying there's had no M badges)

Chassis number

Vehicle code

Series

E24

Model

635CSi

Body type

coupe

Catalog model

ECE

Production date

1988 / 06

Engine

M30

Transmission

Manual

Steering

Right

Catalyzer

NONE

It's black with silver leather interior, comfort seats rather than sports seats, manual box, M-tech steering wheel and M-tech rear spoiler, it has air conditioning. It's rotten in all the usual places, front wings, inner wings, under the rear lights, bottom of the B posts etc. etc. I think we all know the bits I mean.  I don't know about the LSD, but I'll find out at the dealers tomorrow.  I think it will turn out to have one.

It's on original 415 TRXs and though it's the least of its problems, it'll need 4 new tyres. It is definitely saveable, though I suspect others may have suggested to him that it was suitable for parts only because he assumed that I was interested in it as a parts donor.  It would be just about criminal to break this car at the moment in my opinion, though if it sits out over another winter, it will soon get to the stage that it will be fit only for spares. 

The good news is that he has apparently made arrangements to have the bodywork restored "pretty soon".  I got on pretty well with him and we had a long chat about BMWs, classic cars, golf etc. and if he decides not to do anything with it, I hope he will call me.  I've offered what assistance I can in the restoration and I've got some covered storage available, so hopefully this is one car with a story attached that will be saved, hopefully by its current owner or by myself or another enthusiast.

I'm going to keep in touch with the owner and the car and I'll keep you informed of the progress of one of only three H reg 635s in existence - unless of course you know differently.

Edited by m3Cecotto
Sponsored Links

cuk325sport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2004 at 15:24
both cars looking sweet there. the bbs look stunning..
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2004 at 16:47
Originally posted by m3Cecotto m3Cecotto wrote:

.....I spoke with Ivan who had previously indicated that there were only two known, the one that has been touted all over eBay for a few weeks (H844 KFH) and another one, H2 OPS and we wondered if this car was H2 OPS with a new number.

This car appears not to be "H2 OPS". It's a different colour to the one I saw. So there is now a THIRD "H"-plated Highline in existence. I wonder how many more......?

The chap has had the car since it was first registered, though he is not its first owner.  It was bought and kept unregistered by Sir Anthony Bamford or his father Joe (as in Joe Cyril Bamford, JCB).  The current owner bought it, still unregistered, in about February 1990, from an agent and paid "a couple of thousand" less than the last list price (£34000?).

Er, list price of a "Highline" in 1990 was more like £43,000.....

m3Cecotto View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2004 at 16:57

Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

This car appears not to be "H2 OPS". It's a different colour to the one I saw. So there is now a THIRD "H"-plated Highline in existence. I wonder how many more......? 

It's definitely not H2 OPS.  It's been owned by its current and only owner since new and has always worn H16 BMW

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2004 at 17:16

Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

It's definitely not H2 OPS.  It's been owned by its current and only owner since new and has always worn H16 BMW

I see the driver's door has sagged slightly.....

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2004 at 17:22

....It's black with silver leather interior, comfort seats rather than sports seats, manual box...

A manual "Highline" Six is a VERY rare beast.... Most were supplied as automatics.

It's rotten in all the usual places, front wings, inner wings, under the rear lights, bottom of the B posts etc. etc. I think we all know the bits I mean.

Oh dear, I see a "Ross Harris" resto job, with gargantuan bill at the end of it

Something of this magnitude would make you feel like a pelican: whichever way you turn, you've still got an enormous bill in front of you.....

bigbird76 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
M Power

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2004 at 18:31

It brings a tear to the eye to see such a glorious machine sitting there outdoors especially when the car is that rare!!

I hope she getts good time spent on her,

Goodluck

Leigh

96 E36 M3 evo coupe

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2004 at 18:41
Originally posted by bigbird76 bigbird76 wrote:

I hope she gets good time spent on her,

It's not the time element I'm worried about. It's the money....

RossM6/635 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2004 at 09:08

Hi

Dont need another 635 , but if was an Alpina B7 Turbo or B10 , now that would be different.  Anyway in answer to the Motorsport question here is the difinative answer from BMW GB .

The Motorsport edition 635 csi and M635 were introduced around Jan 1989 . There were 181 no 635`s and only 20 no M635`s built for the GB market. The additional specification over standard cars was :

Black satin chrome ( de chroming )

Ltd Slip Diff - already std on M635

Graduated tinted screen -green band

BMW sports seats - already std on M6

M Tec steering wheel and seat flashes - already std on m635

Colours and upholstry choices :

Macao blue with lotus white or black leather

Nogaro sliver with black leather

Misano red with black leather

I am very lucky as both mine are Motorsport editions.

Hope this info helps .

Regards

Ross

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2004 at 16:38
Originally posted by RossM6/635 RossM6/635 wrote:

Hi

Dont need another 635 , but if was an Alpina B7 Turbo or B10 , now that would be different. 

m3Cecotto View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2004 at 17:18
I am pleased to confirm that this car has now gone to a local body shop for an assessment and estimate for repairs.
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2004 at 17:20

I am pleased to confirm that this car has now gone to a local body shop for an assessment and estimate for repairs.

...and that you've bought it???

m3Cecotto View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2004 at 17:35
No, not at the moment, though I suspect that'll happen sooner rather than later.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic