Forum LockedPetrol Quality/High Sulphur

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Petrol Quality/High Sulphur
    Posted: 03-November-2004 at 10:20

Guys,

I new Tesco Petrol Station is being built in Tullamore and will be open after X-Mas. Does anyone have any experience of buying petrol from their other stations in Dublin, and is the quality on a par with other brands ie Esso, Maxol etc ?.

I'm just concerned with Nikasil, and high sulphur fuels. Do you think there is anything to worry about ?.

Ado 

Ado
'97 523i & 95 M3
97 Subaru Impreza WRX Sport Wagon (sold)
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2004 at 10:40

there is something about this @ http://www.databydesign.co.uk/energy/ukdata/downstrm.htm

However, I suspct that the worst damage will occur as you sit ages idling your car whilst waiting in line at the pumps!

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
AHEALY View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2004 at 11:35
It seems that all petrol now has to meet very strict standards, which include a very low sulphur content. Well that's what we hope anyways. I suppose the likes of Tesco's and other Supermarket retailers would draw more attention than your local street station, and would have to keep their standards high, as they would be checked more often.  
Ado
'97 523i & 95 M3
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2004 at 11:54
Going back to the early days of nikasil in the UK, the finger was being pointed first at fuel from supermarkets and more particularly in the Northwest of England.  As things developed, it became apparent that the problem fuel was from more widespread sources than that.
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
KenA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2004 at 14:14
Just from listening to the guys in the UK on other forums, it seems that Supermarket petrols are  not the best quality. How high the sulphur content is I dont know. But the chances are if your car hasnt been affected by now , it probably wont be affected at all considering it only affected models from 95 to Feb 98.  If you havent noticed by 60k miles, i'd say forget about it.
Rgds,
Ken.
Oisin View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2004 at 08:31

I use the Killarney Tesco every so often!! tis cheap but!!

the fuel seems too burn quicker then other brands!!

I thinks tis "****"

2006 VW Passat 1.9tdi
1995 E34 520i(M5)Sold.New classic required
Previous: 2004 Santa fee commercial - 2001 Saab 9-5 3.0,Tid - 1997 E39 525tds

ludo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2004 at 08:56

Petrol in supermarket come from the same place as the petrol of the big brands. There is only so many reffinery in europe. The only difference is the additives, thats one of the reason why the tesco is a bit cheaper (less additives).

In france the main reason the the petrol to be cheaper in supermarket has nothing  (or very little) to do with the quality: while petrol station make living out off selling fuel, supermarket just try to get more people in their shop by using low petrol price as a "bite".

Regarding the fuel consumption, it has to do with the octane indice, the higher it is the less petrol you'll use. High indice mean greater explosivity, more power for your car. To go from A to B, you need a amount of work (energy), this amount is the same if you have diesel car, petrol car, if you use 95 or 97 octane indice. So you'll be using less diesel than petrol because diesel engine are more efficient and less 97 than 95 because each explosion is more powerfull with 95 than 97.

What is very damaging for diesel car is water in the petrol. The petrol leaving the reffinery all have the same water content, it's at the petrol station that it pick up moisture.

AHEALY View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2004 at 08:58
That's kinda what I thought myself. Poorer quality petrol that doesn't last as long, and may do some damage, but that is hard to prove. My beast has 63k on the clock now, and is ticking over very nicely. NO oil consumption that i'm aware of. 
Ado
'97 523i & 95 M3
AHEALY View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2004 at 09:04
Sorry Ludo, your message came through as I was writing mine. You mention that supermarket petrol is refined the same as all other petrol, but they use less additives. Do you know what additives they use, and for what specific purpose ?.
Ado
'97 523i & 95 M3
ludo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2004 at 09:17

There is all sort of additive but they all serve the purpose of trying to get your engine to last longer (working on the dryness of the combustion for example, reducing the solid deposit...), reducing emission.

I could find more by contacting few college friend who choose to go in the polluting industry (petrol) while I am working to make a better world (pharmaceutical).

email gone, should have an answer soon!

ludo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2004 at 09:37

So, the answer from a guy who spend is days designing reffinery for the middle east and asia:

All petrols have to comply with the same regulations for all their parameters:RON, MON, RVP, Sulfur, Aromatic coumpounds...

The additives are antifoaming agent, lubricant, RON booster.

Apparently one of the reason why you seems to fill like you're getting better fuel economy in petrol station is because the the antifoaming. When you pump the petrol in your car in the supermarket, as the petrol has less antifoam, it will foam (does make sense doesn't it?) more so the density of the petrol decrease so in fact you are putting less fuel in your tank (say for exemple you put 50L in petrol station and you let it settle you might get 49L once all the gas is gone whiloe if you take 50L in a supermarket you'll only get 47 or 48L)

Is the advice is go the supermarket an fill the tank slowly to reduce the foaming!

Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2004 at 10:19
Interesting Stuff
AHEALY View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2004 at 11:55

Yeah, i never knew that they put anti foaming additive in petrol, but I did understand that they put an additive in to prevent excess wear and tear to your engine. That's why I was worried about cheaper supermarket petrol which may not have all the additives.

It's amazing what you find out when you ask the right questions. Thanks Ludo.

Ado
'97 523i & 95 M3
BM Fan View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2004 at 17:33

Made similar checks myself after I bought my machine and it appears that irrespective of whoever sells it the EU sulphur particle legislation for next year or sometime soon is 50ppm sulphur. 

Texaco, Shell and some of the others are already at this standard or better according to the guys I contacted.  Also the Octane rating has no impact on the sulphur content only is more stable and does not pre-detonate at high pressures.

Use Tesco now and again, no noticeable differnce in economy but then again they have a great impact on stations nearby.  Shell on Malahide road is very competitive.  Tried that V Power and noticed no difference either.

Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2004 at 03:41
Originally posted by ludo ludo wrote:

Regarding the fuel consumption, it has to do with the octane indice, the higher it is the less petrol you'll use. High indice mean greater explosivity, more power for your car. To go from A to B, you need a amount of work (energy), this amount is the same if you have diesel car, petrol car, if you use 95 or 97 octane indice. So you'll be using less diesel than petrol because diesel engine are more efficient and less 97 than 95 because each explosion is more powerfull with 95 than 97.

My understanding is that the RON figure does not reflect any calorific (energy) value - this only indicates its ability to resist auto-ignition, it is apparently less easy to ignite when the figure is higher.

Also, work is not the same as energy - energy includes the rate that work is done (i.e. time). To go from A to B, a certain amount of work needs to be done (and this varies from car to car due to mass, rolling resistance, friction, aerodynamics, etc.) - how fast you want to do this is then quantifies the energy. However there is also one huge factor in the energy consumed - engine efficiency.

Edited by b318isp
ludo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2004 at 03:47

Originally posted by b318isp b318isp wrote:

My understanding is that the RON figure does not reflect any calorific (energy) value - this only indicates its ability to resist auto-ignition, it is apparently less easy to ignite when the figure is higher.

Which in turn means that the explosion will be more violent (all the petrol in the chamber ignite at the same time, pushing the piston) while low octane will start to detonate earlier over a longer period of time (so some of the fuel will ignite AFTER the piston started to move down, the compression will have decrease, less work will be produce).

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2004 at 05:11

Firstly, gotta say, every day really is a school day!

As a non engineer, this may not be a valid observation, but my $0.02 worth is that the ron rating doesn't have an effect on the violence of the explosion (as per Brendan's explanation), but rather on the characteristics e.g. how soon the explosion begins after compression and spark have been applied, hence the fact that timing can be affected on cars when a lower or different ron rated fuel is used compared to manufacturer recommendation.  In most cases, cars with electronic ignition and fuel injection can adapt to that automatically. 

A difference in the violence (energy) of the explosion would suggest a difference in calorific value when maybe a difference in the characteristics of the explosion would be more accurate?

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2004 at 05:19
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
BM Fan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2004 at 05:35

If there is ignition before TDC then the piston will start to be forced back down prior completing the full stroke and being on its downward track, hence loss of power as crank momentum is lost in overcoming this force.

Heres another one or two for homework on the weekend.  No excuses from anyone now. 

http://www.mg-tri-jag.net/tech6.htm 

http://www.camshafteng.com.au/calc.htm 

Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

ludo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2004 at 05:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic