Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW E30 320i Engine Shuddering
    Posted: 25-October-2004 at 17:01

Hi

I have very recently bought myself my first car, a 1987 E30 BMW 320i. I have had to repair a few things along the way costing me a couple of loans from my dad. However the current problem Iam having, I cannot seem to fix. So here goes,

When Iam accelerating from idle (+-800RPM) to about 3000RPM the car performs brilliantly. The problem starts at about 3200RPM to 4000RPM when the car starts to shudder violently. It however does not seem to lose any revs but does cause a loss in power. I was told by a friend that I should replace the rotor arm and the distributor cap which I have done. This looked like it had fixed the problem but It now seems to have come back. This problem has started since I bought the vehicle as it was fine for the first 3 months of ownership!

Does anybody have any suggestions at allbecause Iam afraid that this shuddering is causing undue engine wear which I cannot afford to repair. Iam currently thinking of replacing the HT Leads, the Coil and the Spark Plugs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2004 at 17:36
Are you sure the problem is with the engine and not from the clutch or drivetrain?
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2004 at 17:46

Hi Dergside

I have already put in a new clutch and a new master clutch cylinder so it cannot be that. It could possible be the drivetrain which I do think is slightly unbalanced as I get a slight vibration through the car at about 50 MPH. Allthough would this really cause the engine to 'missfire' (for lack of another word). Rather than a shudder I could describe it like when you are accelerating and at about 3600RPM suddenly pulling your foot totally off the accelerator and the immediately putting your foot flat on it again. You get a sudden jerk. Also, forgot to mention that this happens about 3 times between 3000 and 4000RPM. And even stranger, the engine works fine above 4000RPM all the way to the highest I ever pushed it at about 5700RPM.

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2004 at 07:17

Beemaboy

Not sure technically how this stands up, but I understand that there is a coupling on the back end of the driveshaft that can give problems.  This goes beyond the usual drive line "shudder" that can affect them.  Do you get a "clunk" type noise when it happens?

My brother had something similar on an e28 535i, when you gave it a little bit of welly on the move it would do something similar - kind of like as if you tried to apply full throttle from 500rpm in 5th, if you fed the power on gently it wouldn't happen.  He put it down to (I'm using very layman terms here!) a donut coupling on the driveshaft/diff end.  He didn't get around to sorting his, the car is in storage at the moment.

Maybe some more technical folks can help out further here?

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2004 at 07:52

BeemaBoy

I used to have a 3.0i 24v Vx Senator that had a violent hicup in the rev range.  This turned out to be the distributor.  Previously I was getting a screach from the dizzy which tuirned out to be a worn/dry bearing.

It came to a conclusion while doing 80mph in lane 2 on the M1 when the dizzy bearings finalied failed so the shaft was able to whip and pushed the rotor arm into the side of the dizzy cap and shattered it into a million little pieces, shuddering and a noise like timing chains leaving the block and being trailed on the tarmac below.  You could actually wobble the dizzy shaft in the bearings.  1 No. new dizzy please.

As the shaft whipped the timming of the spark was interrupted so you get the hicup.

New dizzy cured all the problems.

Take the dizzy cap and rotor arm back off and try and move the dizzy shaft, if you can wobble it, you need a new one like mine!

About 9 months before the above I had replaced the dizzy cap which seemed to help but it gave out eventually.

By the way when did you last change the sparkers on it?  What are the HT leads like too?

Sounds like an electrical fault.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2004 at 08:15
What happens to the economy guage and tacho when the shudders happens?

Doe it happeb when stationary?
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2004 at 10:02

Hi

Thanks very much to all of you for your suggestions.

Firstly I will talk to my mechanic about that 'Dounut Coupling' and see what he thinks about servicing or replacing it. I actually thought that the distributor shaft could be at fault and I initially tried to move it, but it is rock solid in its mounting. To recall to when I last changed the spark plugs or HT leads is impossible, because I have only bought this car about 6 months ago and have not got the miles needed to replace these items.

An interesting thing though, when I actually had a closer look at the HT Leads, the one on the sixth cylinder has some black electrical tape on the join between the cable and the connector(where it fits ontop of the spark plug). Could this have been used to cover up a hole or cut in the cable and it has just recently got worse, so the tape no longer keeps the spark in, and therefore the problem now occurs?

To answer b318isp question. The economy guage does 'flutter' back towards the middle and then back to the right hand side again, but I dont seem to lose any revs at all, only speed. And no, it does not do this when it is stationary and even worse ,when I rev it to the problem range in neutral, there is no 'hicup'. So figure that!It only seems to give trouble when it is under load!

Iam actually thinking or replacing the spark plugs as they a pretty cheap, but the HT leads are a bit more pricey. I was quoted about 36 pounds excluding the plastic HT rail and the rubber cover that all lie in. Is this a good price? I will only go a head if you guys think it is worth it .

Thanks

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2004 at 10:29

Sounds about right.

Dodgy HT leads is probably the source of your problem, replace regardless of cost.  You will benefit from them in the long term.

Things like that will only manifest themselves under load and be fine on idle when she can probably run relatively well on 5 cylinders or 6 intermitantly and you won't notice it but when you are giving a Golf a run for its money off the lights you will notice it when you need the power.

Leads and plugs won't be that dear for an E30, stear clear of a Main $tealer and go to GSF or Euro Car parts and they'll see you rightly.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2004 at 11:01
What concerns me is that it only happens between a certain narrow rev band. A failing plug lead should cause a problem over a greater (and higher) rev band than that.

Try driving along in 4th or 5th car. When the splutter occurs, vary the position of the accelerator pedal (incl. putting it to the floor). Try an see if the postion of the pedal affects it (this is to see if the Air Flow Meter is a potential cause).

A spark lead fault also would not explain the fluttering of the econometer. This is suggesting that the ECU is receiving information that is causing the flutter, e.g. the Air Flow Meter or the crank sensor.

Can you borrow one plug lead to replace the one with tape as it will quickly prove (or not) its causation before you spend money?
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2004 at 14:02

Hi

To get to what b318isp said about a failed plug causing a greater wide spread problem does make a lot of sense. Having just read your reply and going out and testing it on the road, gave me the following results:

When the problem started occuring, I put my foot flat on the accelerator, the shuddering stopped and the car accelerated smoothly.

When I left the accelerator just off the floor, the shuddering was apparent but the car eventually got past it and continued to about 5500RPM smoothly.

When I eased off the power to let the car cruise in 4th up a long hill, the car almost came to a complete stop, as there was no power being delivered to the wheels. Had to do a quick change down to second gear. Also, sorry about the late info, but it does'nt apparently seem to happen in first gear(Never noticed this before).

As I mentioned earlier, I did have the Air Flow Meter serviced because I was told by numerous garages that the air flow meter had been tampepred with by the prevous owner and was causing me high fuel consumption as the economy guage was permanantely jammed on 30 litres per 100KM(sorry, do not know what that is in gallons).

To tell you the truth, the more I think about what b318isp is suggesting with the airflow meter, the more I think this might be the problem. I mean it has to be something that changes throughout the rev range for it to occur in such small part of the range. Could this be caused by something as stupid as the airflow door sticking?

And I really,really,really hope it is not a problem with the ECU because I have been told it costs in the region of 900 pounds to replace. The car only cost me 2100 pounds in the first place!

I will try to get a hold of one HT Lead to see if this is the problem and get back to you guys. If the Airflow meter door is a bit sticky, could I just use a normal can of Q20 or WD40 to oil it?

And just for clarification, what is the crank sensor?

Thanks

dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2004 at 06:41

Does this car have sequential injection?

Yes you can use a bit of WD on a flap meter.

The crank sensor, senses the crank timing.

Girlfriend had a Metro with a cracked plug that only gave a 'chug' at about 3,000rpm and only once!! Starnge as to why iit only did it then - replaced it and it was fine.

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2004 at 07:33
Originally posted by dave 328 dave 328 wrote:

Girlfriend had a Metro with a cracked plug that only gave a 'chug' at about 3,000rpm and only once!! Starnge as to why iit only did it then - replaced it and it was fine.

Was that the girlfriend complete with Metro that you replaced or the plug?

Be very careful about cleaning the actual air flow meter.  I'm not 100% sure about BMW AFM's but the following is what I was told about Vauxhall ones and read about AFMs in Porsches but you should never ever touch or try and clean the wire that forms the AFM unles you really know what you are doing as AFM are big bucks. 

This piece of wire gets heated and as the air flows over it its temperature changes and so does its electrical resistance which then gets translated by the ECU into how much air is being forced into the throttle.

You may damage the wire by trying to clean it and spraying an oil on it I don't think would be advisable as this will be burnt off the wire when it heats up and may affect the wires preformance and hence engine running quality.

You can clean the flap with WD40 but not the wire. But like I said I'm not sure how BMW AFMs work maybe someone else can offer some help?

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2004 at 07:44

If you have a small black box on the inside of the nearside wing replace the relays under it, these would be your DME and fuel pump relays on a Motronic car but i'm not all that on the old Ljet.  On the Motronic these relays failing cause exactly the symptoms you desribe.

AFM shouldn't need cleaning with WD40, thats the wrong stuff to use, you ideally want to clean it with carb cleaner as this doesn't leave a residue and allow dust etc to stick to it.  I doubt the AFM is sticking they tend to be pretty good, if it was the AFM then it's more likely to be a worn out track in the top.

Edited by paul325i

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2004 at 08:06
AFM on this is the flappy one and not hot wire as the later cars.

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2004 at 08:21
I know, but you shouldn't need to lube it for it to work smoothly.

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2004 at 08:35
Usually the AFM gives trouble due to a worn or dirty track.

The new information about the fact that having the accelerator fully to the floor solves the problem, to me, points towards the AFM as it is ignored at WOT.

I'd suggest visiting a breakers to try a 2nd hand one out.

If you have a multimeter, confirm the operation of the Throttle Position Sensor too.
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2004 at 16:08

Hi Guys

I have eventually got around to getting to the Parts Centre and I managed to get the sales clerk to score me only one HT lead to replace the faulty one, and guess what, the problem still occurs. Will be replacing the spark plugs tomorrow to se if that gives any joy.

On a different note, I got this response from a memeber of another forum I posted the same question at. Does this sound right?

------------------------------------------------------------ -------

I had a hunch it could be the catalytic converter so I looked up a little info for you as reference.

These are all signs that your catalyst is clogged going.
I think the excess exhaust dispensed at higher speeds is choking up your engines and giving you some of these symptoms if not all. As the MAF's were pretty solid on here, and if a clogged fuel filter will usually affect performance more noticeable at other times as well, like no starting, or clean itself out with gas detergents.

Markedly decreased low rpm power,
Engine runs a little hotter than normal at constant cruising speeds,
Exhaust leaks near header that won't seal in spite of new gaskets,
Bucking or hesitation while accelerating,
Cat's exterior surface temp cooler near outlet.

------------------------------------------------------------ -------

I also funnily enough remember my father telling me that we do not have Catylictic Converters (excuse the spelling!) fitted to our cars in South Africa. Is this correct or have I been drinking too much again???

Thanks

GT6-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2004 at 16:36

I've heard of a couple of people on the 205 forum doing a kind of retracking job on the AFM by prizing the cover off and moving the arm out a couple of mm so it's sitting on a new bit of carbon.

Cheaper than buying a new one I guess :)

(BTW that is only for the flap type AFM)

If anyone like old cars with big BMW engines, take a look at www.gt6.org.uk
sign the guestbook, you know it makes sense!
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2004 at 08:06
Originally posted by BeemaBoy BeemaBoy wrote:

These are all signs that your catalyst is clogged going.I think the excess exhaust dispensed at higher speeds is choking up your engines and giving you some of these symptoms if not all. As the MAF's were pretty solid on here, and if a clogged fuel filter will usually affect performance more noticeable at other times as well, like no starting, or clean itself out with gas detergents.

Markedly decreased low rpm power, Engine runs a little hotter than normal at constant cruising speeds, Exhaust leaks near header that won't seal in spite of new gaskets, Bucking or hesitation while accelerating, Cat's exterior surface temp cooler near outlet.

You probably don't have a cat and certainly don't have a MAF. The solutions mentioned do not explain why the problem occurs in a limited range.
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2004 at 15:53

Hi all

I have eventually got around to replacing the spark plugs with some Bosch Super Twin Spark Plugs. After really struggeling to get one of these damn things out, I discovered that the Sprk Plug on the Sixth Cylinder was a small NGK spark plug which did'nt match the specs of the other five at all. Guess I discovered the problem! I replaced all six and now the car goes like a bat out of hell again.

The only thing I can't get my head around is why the Moron who owned the car before me put 6 spark plugs in that don't match and torque one of them soooo tight that I had to wrestle with the spark plug remover to get it out!!! I really just don't understand what goes through some peoples minds.

Once again, thanks for all your guys help.

Edited by BeemaBoy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic