FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedM6 flat spots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: M6 flat spots
    Posted: 14-October-2004 at 07:42
In process of recommissioning the old girl after a long lay off (just in time for the rain and salt...) but have some nasty flat spots/missfire.

She was going like the clappers when we laid her up having just had a new air flow meter which cured (you guessed it) some nasty flat spots.

Haven't really tried anything yet and think new plugs and dizzy cap would be a good idea but wondered if you chaps have got any suggestions - know the usual stuff to check but perhaps there's something not so obvious that is a common problem???

As for dizzy cap anyone know of cheap alternative along lines of Halfords Volvo equivalent for the E30 M3???

Grateful for any help
Sponsored Links

Phil-C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Ex E30 M3 owner...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2004 at 08:11
Probably not much help but when my brother had one, if he didn't use it for a while it would miss & hiccup, but the more he used it the better it got.
The one thing he was going to try but never did, was to replace the leads but at £290(I think) it was last on the list of possibilities.
ian M635UK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2004 at 11:23

Depends when you are experiencing the flat spots.

It the engine dies when booted say in 2nd gear but recovers then this would be the in tank fuel pump.  Particluarly prevalent with less than a 1/4 full tank.

If it is missing when loaded up particularly at low rpms but clears at higher rpms then this is highly likely to be leads.  You can replace the plugs, dizzy cap etc but most avoid changing the leads which are quoted at £440 from BMW.  The high cost is due to BMW having to make these up and hence it is mostly labour.

You can purchase all the columns, connectors and wire direct from BMW.  Dizzy end plugs at £5.50 ,connectors a few pence.  Most expensive bits are the columns at £26 each.  You can make up a full set for £200.

Post some more detail about you specific problem for more.

PS it is not usually the air flow meter and as yours is new it will not be this.

Ian

Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2004 at 09:06
Ian

Thanks for that - difficult to remember the symptoms precisely altho to be honest both examples you describe could be what we're talking about - will be a while before I have another go...

Is the in tank pump easy to change or is it a tank out job? The reason I ask is because many moons ago whilst syphoning some petrol out (!) my father lost a small piece of plastic in the tank which will still be there if it hasn't dissolved....long story - don't ask, but it would be a good opportunity to get it out....

As for your comments on the leads, sorry for asking a daft question, but are you saying that if you get the kit from BMW you can make up your own leads?? Is this a DIY job??

Many thanks
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2004 at 17:23

In tank pump takes 1/2hr max to change out and is around £130 plus vat.  You can remove it and test it with a 12v supply.  They are a classic 6 series fault but it will not show up if you have a full tank.

Leads are the big suspect for missing.

You can buy all the end plugs, metal connectors, columns and leads from BMW.  Just take a look at the parts page when you are next in the main agents and you will see all the individual part numbers.

Another thing to do is to run the engine in the garage in complete darkness.  You will be able to see the high voltage tracking if they are bad.

If you are handy with some wire cutters and crimps then this is an easy DIY job.  Biggest job is to feed the wires through the plastic tubing before connecting the end connectors.  Just take your time and you will be fine.

Ian

Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2004 at 09:16
Ian - great stuff - thanks for the tips - might do both jobs just to make sure - one last question - is the pump change an tank out scenario??
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2004 at 17:06

No

Just remove boot carpet, expose top of tank, remove connectors, twist top of pump through 90 degree and pull up.

Ian

Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2004 at 08:27
Ian - you're nothing less than a little belter - thank you for your help - will keep you posted
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic