Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Al 535i Sport

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Break Pad Warning Light
    Posted: 11-March-2003 at 15:22

Hi all,

i have recently had my front pads and discs replaced, but my pad warning light is constantly on. i know that there is a sensor there (which has been connected up) but my light is still on.

i know its not a real worry as everything is new, but any help would be welcomed.

Thanks again...

Sponsored Links

Iain H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2003 at 16:21

Try the tips shown at the link, it may help.

There can be so many different causes but mine was a faulty sensor.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e30/brakes/e30_check_brakelights.html

Hartge H27 Convertible
My Link
maximus View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Al 535i Sport

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2003 at 18:48

Hi Iain H. Thanks for your reply, however its not the "brake check" light that is flashing its the brake pad sensor light. It tells you when your pads are wearing out.

Thanks alot for your reply though.

Alex View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
SW Region Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2003 at 19:08
I believe the sensor is just a simple device whereby a contact is broken when it is worn down against the disc. The light, therefore, indicates that there is no circuit through the sensor. If the sensor is OK, that suggests a loose/broken connection somewhere along the line.
Alex Shirley

1990 E30 325i
maximus View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Al 535i Sport

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2003 at 23:43

thanks for your reply Alex i'll check it out asap.

thanks again m8

325i_sports View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2003 at 08:16

I have an e30 and found that if you are not using BMW pads, the dash warning light stays on permenantly as there is no space for the sensor in the aftermarket pads.

The sensor works by detecting when the pads are low which allows the sensor to ground itself and switch on the light. I resolved this by simply pulling the sensor away from the bodywork and putting some electrical tape over the bare wire. Job done!

Hope this helps :-)

paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2003 at 09:00

Nonsense my friend, German and Sweedish sell Pagid original quality replacement brake pads with the correct cut out for the brake pad sensor for £14.00 plus VAT per axle, they last aslong as any others and as for the brake pad sensor who needs it when you can just look every so often at your pads not a difficult thing to do, so i just removed the lamp from the dash no continous red light then.

Has anybody had any good experiences with uprated discs and pads, a set will go on soon but its deciding which ones to buy. Heard that the zimmerman cross drilled discs around £60/pair and the pagid fast road pads are good but any others worth getting? want a hard compound really that takes the heat.

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
maximus View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Al 535i Sport

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2003 at 10:50

Hi Paul 325i,

I agree with you that GSF do great aftermarket pads,  have recently fitted Brembo Discs £16.50 + vat (not drilled, just vented) and textar pads (same as Pagid) @ £14 + vat.

325i_sports View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2003 at 14:56

Paul: Not nonsense, I didnt say ALL aftermarket pads, just that some aftermarket ones (a lot like the crap they fit at KwikFit) may not be compatible with the brake sensor.

Also, surely its easier to tape up the sensor rather than remove the dash to get to a lamp?

paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2003 at 15:57

That was only a jokey nonsense 325i_sports not serious, i know the ones you mean the cheap as chips rubbish so called brake clutch and suspension places like kwikFit fit where as in reality they are the last parts you'd ever want fitted to your car.

Your right there about taping up the sensor, i had the dash out at the time so i decided to do it that way not suggesting for one minute you should all rip out the dash to solve the problem.

Have you had any experience with up rated brakes? need a good set some of the companies that sell them out of demon tweeks etc are crap lots of my mates have had bad experiences with warping and cracking, so a set that has been tried and tested on a BM would be good.

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
Alex View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
SW Region Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2003 at 17:22
Ferodo pads (which you can get from Halfords) are supplied with the pad wear indicator. I think Halfords' own pads come with the sensor as well.
Alex Shirley

1990 E30 325i
Rory View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2003 at 17:38

On an e36 the sensor works by switching the brake wear light on when the wire is broken or earthed.

So in normal use the wire is in one piece creating a circuit. If fitted in its proper location, once the pad is worn it allows the sensor to be worn down by the disc, which will cause it to earth and finally break the wire.

It does not matter if the sensor is fitted to the pad or not, what matters is there is continuity within the wire and it is not being pulled down to a negative current.

I solved this by cutting the lead on the sensor just after the plug and joining the wires back together. If possible then test the continuity with a multimeter. This will tell you if the problem lies with the sensor or it is a problem within the vehicle.

One thing to remember is the reaction by the warning light is not immediate; I originally had dismissed the sensor being at fault due to the light not going off. It takes about 1-5 mins for the light to reset.

I hope this of some help.

Regards

Rory

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic