Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedrecent M3 E46 RECALL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: recent M3 E46 RECALL
    Posted: 01-October-2004 at 10:56

Dear fellow M members

I am not sure how many of you are aware\effected by this occurance but for the second time my vehicle has gone in to have the con rod shells replaced.  Anyhow, I am a little annoyed at BMW for not doing anything about extending my warrenty (but instead trying to sell me an extended one!) just in case the shells go bad again.  If this does happen beyond the remaining 6 months of warrenty then I am liable which I don't think is fair.

Can anyone help\advise in this matter please ?

kind regards

Sammy

Sponsored Links

mansfa View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2004 at 11:36
You could argue that they are not fit for purpose? Any reasonable person would expect conrods to last lomger than they have on a prestige car such as a bmw?
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2004 at 11:52

Sammy1, You write a letter to BMW GB-Customer Relations-Bracknell, saying how disappointed you are , that the recall on the s54 Engined M3, has now happened to you twice, and you wish to have your money back.

Under the UK sale of goods act, the product is obviously not fit for the purpose that it was purchased for.

The Fact that you now have problems AGAIN ,with the second Engine, proves that an unsatisfactory short term solution was used as a quick fix, not what you would expect from a prestige marque.

You no longer have confidence in your car, and your enjoyment has been  reduced to nil.How many more Engines must you have, before an answer is proposed for your long term satisfaction.

This has been a big problem with s54 engines, and is well documented in Europe & USA.Spun bearing shell probs in Engines dated from 1 Oct 01  -- 28 Feb 02.Perhaps a NEW 3 year warranty may be a point to consider.

SAFETYFAST
kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2004 at 12:19
Zoran,

I'm not quite clear if the you have had a problem which caused them to change the shells or if you have been recalled twice , just in case.

Despite the reason for the replacements I'm with 100% John on this.

You have every right to be dissatisfied and a strongly, but polite letter to BMW GB is the order of the day. At the very least your warranty should start again, as if you have just purchased the car new.

Regards
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
harvard468 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2004 at 13:01

I'm watching this one with interest - I have heard of one owner having 2 new engines in 2000 miles from new!

STEPHEN B

Stephen B
1990 Z1
1994 E34 540i Touring
1999 E38 740i (Had to go)
2001 E39 M5
Nostrils View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2004 at 13:47
Sammy1 you have PM.
Phil
Nostrils View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2004 at 13:59
On another web forum BM3W, the members have organised a letter to BMW GB from all the owners who have been affected by this recall and the previous 1, all surrounding the S54 Engine. It appears that the US owners are receiving much better service than those in the UK. Not much detail is coming from other countries.

The communication of this recall etc. has not been very good as some dealerships were originally unaware of a recall until THEIR customers contacted them, cars being booked in without parts available and on back order and disappointingly, some dealerships quality of work has been called into question.

I dont wish to criticise BMW completely but I am not an owner of an S54 enginer M3 and after some of the stories I have read I dont think I would buy a 2nd hand one in the future that is built before March 04. I can imagine in a few years time, the 2nd hand market for these being flooded and BMW dealers might start giving them away. This version of the M3 is fantastic but I question the quality system BMW were so famous for.....not a good comparison, but look how MB have been critcised over the last couple of years for their downfall in quality/Service etc.

E30 M3 - Simply the best, I will stick to my baby for the time being,

2p over

Edited by Nostrils
Phil
coupesport View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2004 at 16:00

This subject is dear to my heart as I am looking to buy a near new M3 E46 with the S54 engine.  This is a significant “investment” both of money and trust in the brand, and so far I have been very unimpressed. To cut a long story short, the dealers are very sketchy about the details and reasons for this second major recall affecting I believe 46,000 M3s. The only BMW bulletin suggests that the bearing shells were not up to spec, and it is possible that if they were slightly too thick, they may have contributed to the problem. However BMW garages are dealing with this very badly. They are taking cars in and taking the engine apart without necessarily having all the needed parts; a few unfortunate owners have had the car off the road for days on end while some bolts are rushed though from “back order”.  A dealer contact suggested to me that there have been over 1,000 new engines supplied by BMW to replace damaged engines under warranty.  

In the USA the last time such a major recall happened for this engine they agreed to extend the warranty to 6 years / 100,000 miles to regain confidence in the brand, but this is the second similar recall here with no such offer.

Owners need to demand it of BMW. The idea of these very expensive engines having to be replaced out of warranty at low mileage is a scandal, and will damage the second hand value. As it is, there is silly talk of the value reducing £1,000 a month, in part due to the new 3 series. The other forum (BM3W) has many reports of owners going in for checks only to find they need a new engine.  Theoretically after June 2003 the cars were not affected by this defect but as StephenB comments above there is an owner of a post June 2003 car which had an engine go at 1,200 miles (just run in) and a second at 400 miles, after which the owner understandably said “enough” and handed the car back. this of course casts some doubt on the claim by BMW that the post June 2003 cars are unaffected.

The engine is the heart of this car and a masterpiece of engineering. Incredibly to me the press still say it is “bullet proof” and well up to being pressed hard while remaining reliable. Owners need to campaign for extended warranties on the engine similar to USA., otherwise we are being treated as soft targets who are willing to keep paying a top-up of £500 per annum to extend the warranty on the car.

Edited by coupesport
steve1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2004 at 17:34

This is also close to my heart, as we have just purchased a 2002 ZM Coupe with the s54 engine in it, although BMW say that these particular models are not affected, it seems strange, that the engines are identical but not affected, only time will tell, I will be keeping the warranty going anyway, but it would be nice to know if the same applies to all s54 models.

P.S. I am in agreement, that as a good will gesture, BMW should extend the warranty on all affected models.

steve.

1990 black sport evo- Now Sold
1988 325i touring ( written off )            
2002 ZM Coupe, hamann styling
328i touring ( '95 )
BOYBIMMERM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2004 at 18:46

the s54 engine in the m3's are different to those in the z m coupe. they are not identical. they are not quite as powerful and have a different ecu mapping program, so maybe that explains why they are not due a recall.

PikeyM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
E30 M3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2004 at 08:23

Perhaps BMW said cars that were affected included June 2003 models, as copuesport mentioned 'theorectically cars after 2003 were not affected'?

Does anyone know if this recall is official yet? After all the only way that BMW know of a problem is when it occurs in long term testing and a fix must then also be tested, which takes some time.  BMW may just be sticking new engines in the cars to keep the cars on the road until they have come up with a definate fix, which would explain the engines going bang for a second time.

Pikey

Old enough to know better, too young to care!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2004 at 08:59

Pikey the "service action" is official. I have seen the BMW notices on it. there is a question and answer post on the first page of the USA forum found here:

http://http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=41223 &page=1&pp=10

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2004 at 14:03

The Rev limit on the S54 was reduced to 7800 from 8200 after the problems started, says it all.

100K-6 year warranty is required for UK owners suffering first time probs, treat everyone the same.Someone--Somewhere -is forgetting the power of the Web.!!!!!!!!!! and is losing the Plot.

SAFETYFAST

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2004 at 14:51
I am not aware of a rev limit being reduced. I thought that the S54 M3 was always an 8,000 rpm limit? max power is at 7,900 rpm, so they could not restrict it to 7,800 rpm without reducing the power, which then puts them in breach of the advertised power.
andygriff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2004 at 15:32

During this recall the engine management control unit (DME) is reprogrammed by the dealer. This later version software is improved over the earlier variants and gives smoother running from cold / during warm up and slicker shifting when in conjunction with an SMG gearbox. I am not aware of any restriction with regards to max engine speed and I am sure that BMW would not get away with reducing the power output below the assured 343BHP figure. Anyone had a dyno run before and after the recall ? (run in of course)

I believe that the max engine speed has been reduced on SMG equipped models IN NEUTRAL ONLY. Possibly to reduce engine damage due to abuse ... but don't take that as gospel.

Some earlier E46 M3 vehicles have been recalled previously for a similar recall. During this recall the big end shells AND the oil pump where replaced. The new recall is a shell only issue.

There are 2 types of big end bolt fitted to the S54. Earlier vehicles us a 10mm item which must be replaced once removed (some supply problems here) and later engines use an 11mm item which is re used. Dealers should be able to tell from the engine number / production date which type of bolt is fitted BEFORE stripping the engine.

Cheers,

Andy.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2004 at 16:15
Thanks Andy and I agree that fits with what I have read on the BM3W forum etc. Trouble is it seems that some dealers cannot tell which bolts are needed, or can't be bothered to check, so they have been reported as stripping the engine, then "discovering" that the new bolts are needed, which are on back order, so the car is left off the road.  Some dealers are trying to charge for new oil or threatening to reuse the old oil! and some are charging for the modest loan cars while this is being carried out! Can you believe that? your £50,000 car is faulty due to a manufacturing defect, and not only are you deprived of its use, and downgraded to a basis run around while they do the work, which may. or may not (according to which dealer) may need running in again and they try to skim extra money from the customer.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2004 at 15:39

Latest; BMW UK say that they do not think it is necessary to extend the warranty as they ahve done in Australia and USA, because they think the latest (3Rd?) fix is certain to work.  So that is fair then, in their estimation, despite at least 2 attempts at fixing this issue, they are satisfied that we should take the risk that the engine fails again out of warranty, at a cost of say £8,500 to £12,500 to replace:

"In response to your further query regarding the M3 engine related recall, we can confirm that each individual country makes their own decision regarding whether they will implement a warranty extension after a recall.  We understand that BMW North America have made their decision based on the higher relative cost of the vehicle in their own market.

BMW Great Britain as a wholly owned subsidiary have decided following advice from our engineers that once the Quality Enhancement has been carried out, there is no reason to suspect further degradation of the engine and therefore no reason to extend the warranty.

However, should you have further problems with the vehicle which can be clearly linked to the con rod bearing recall we would look sympathetically upon any claim should the need arise.

Best regards"

kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2004 at 15:50
So if they are so sure why don't they offer reassurance to the customer?

Surely an extension to the warranty would restore confidence as it is much more solid than looking sympathetically upon a claim "which can be clearly linked to the con rod bearing recall".

Is this a sign of a premium brand moving down market? I hope not.
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2004 at 16:54

From the BM3W forum:

If that is their attitude then I hope they read this.
1. I will be going to my dealer tomorrow morning and getting my deposits back on 1,M5 1,X5dsport, 2M4s.These will be replaced with either Audi or Mercedes. When the six 330ds come up for renewal next march the will be replaced with Audi.
They can put there cars where the sun don't shine

andygriff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2004 at 14:32

I am sure that BMW GB will offer goodwill to any official UK E46 M3 customer who should expierience related problems once their warranty period is up. How can they expect to keep customers loyal to their brand otherwise ?

My advice to all current E46 M3 owners is keep an up to date BMW dealer service history, check your oil level frequently and only use the recommended Castrol TWS 10w 60 oil to top up.

Oh yes.. and don't forget the 1200 mile running in period following the recall !

Andy - BMW Technician.

1988 E30 M3 S14B23
1995 E36 M3 S50B30 Saloon
Honda RC30
BMW Senior Technician.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic