FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour ideas on performance mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your ideas on performance mods
    Posted: 14-September-2004 at 15:46
Just interested to know what people view as being performance mods (i.e. mods which actually increase horsepower) and what people on the forum have tried / their experiences.
If anyone like old cars with big BMW engines, take a look at www.gt6.org.uk
sign the guestbook, you know it makes sense!
Sponsored Links

Pegsta View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2004 at 18:16

The only performance mods I've used in the past are:

on my first car (Vauxhall Belmont SRi): K&N Cone filter, either 2.5" or 3" (can't remember now) Exhaust to the manifold and Splitfire spark plugs (hey - I went for the sales pitch..).  Not much but I'm convinced it made a difference.  Certainly pulled better in the top range.. and was smoother.. and LOUDER  

On my last car (Audi A4 1.9TDi 90Bhp): Chip.  Took it to 120Bhp.  Huge difference in drivable power.  Pulled in every gear right through the rev range whereas before it would die after about 3500rpm.  I would say it was better on the M'way than my 328 after the chip.  didn't lose much in fuel economy either.  Only loss was probably due to the more enthusiastic driving....

Edited by Pegsta
1998 Boston Green 328i SE
Chipped by ChippedUK

paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2004 at 19:51

Depends on what car you are tuning mate, with turbo cars a chip is fantastic, can give really large gains.  On a N/A car its ok, can make it more drivable and slightly quicker but not the alarming jump you get with a turbo car.

Performance plugs/leads etc are all hype, you never actually need uprated leads until you have a fire breathing monster ie a race engine. The best plugs are the ones the manufacturer specs, as the car was designed with these in mind.

Air filters/cone filters are useless IMO, ok you get some gains up the top end but you lose all the mid and bottom range pull so the car will actually be slower in real terms and it'll be heavier on fuel as you'll need to rev it more to get the best out of it.

Some exhaust systems are good, they can free up a little bit of power by allowing the car to breath easier, but they have a similar effect to free flow air filters. 

The best way to increase horsepower is to keep it in top condition ie serviced regularly and then do proper mods, like changing the cams, inlet manifolds, headwork, then having it remapped to suit.

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
Haigys.Hog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2004 at 10:21

pegsta what type of 'chip' are you refering to? a 30bhp gain is massive, considering your engine only produces 90bhp stock thats 1/3 of the engines power output gained just by replacing the chip, i find this a little hard to believe, have a look on www.gmcmotorsport.co.uk and they tell you how it is, the dastek unichip is a piggyback ecu which is programmed on your car whilst its on the rollers so maximum gains can be had, pre-programmed chips arent mapped to the individual engine so i dont see how it knows to adjust what,

and GT6-M3:

Im looking at a throttle body conversion for mine, but an exhaust and manifold that is designed for your car will give you a noticable gain, providing your putting an air filter on [try a bmc enclosed carbon one there supposed to be good might have to modify it to fit tho,] more air in more bang more power = more gasses coming out the other end so the after market manifold should have a slightly larger bore in the pipes, encouraging the gasses to get out! im having one made for my 318ti, il let you know how she gets on

Pegsta View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2004 at 17:19

Haigys.Hog - the chip was from www.ccctech.com and is very similar to the Superchips www.superchips.co.uk chip for the A4 1.9 TDi. Both give a performance boost of around 30bhp and something in the region of 50lbs ft torque increase.   It replaced the manufacturers chip.  Wasn't a piggy back.

edit - Just had a quick look at ccctech.  Site doesn't appear to be there anymore.  Either that or it's just down at the moment.  D'oh.

Edited by Pegsta
Chipped by ChippedUK

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2004 at 03:32

i still cant see anyone getting 30bhp for £225 ish,when tested by gmc the majority of them showed a loss when tested correctly on the rr,and i believe this,they do enable your car to rev higher but low down power is what you want!

cheers

Pegsta View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2004 at 03:55
Believe me.  It made a huge difference.  In all powerbands and all gears.  The turbo even started kicking in earler.  And the chip was £350 (I think) from ccctech and it's over £500 from Superchips.
Chipped by ChippedUK

paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2004 at 06:03

Originally posted by Pegsta Pegsta wrote:

edit - Just had a quick look at ccctech.  Site doesn't appear to be there anymore.  Either that or it's just down at the moment.  D'oh.

It's because it's http://www.ccctech.co.uk/ matey and not .com

I might have a look at what they can do for my audi

Visit My BMW
Pegsta View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2004 at 07:32

Ahhh - that'd be why!  Was in a rush when I posted it.

Simon Coe (the guy who runs ccctech) comes to your house to do the chipping.  I was very impressed by him as my Audi had an older than normal board which didn't have surface mounted chips.  But he stayed for an extra 2 or so hours to get the chips fitted... v. impressed. 

Chipped by ChippedUK

GT6-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2004 at 15:48

Must admit I've always been a bit sceptical about these 30bhp chip mods. Seems to me that if the manufacturer didn't want it to make the 30bhp, there was a reason.

Having said that, glad to see no one sighted the examples of ebay resistor "chips" etc as having any beneficial effect!

Does anybody do a throttle body conversion for the E30 325, or am I going to have to make my own?

paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2004 at 20:38
Originally posted by GT6-M3 GT6-M3 wrote:

Must admit I've always been a bit sceptical about these 30bhp chip mods. Seems to me that if the manufacturer didn't want it to make the 30bhp, there was a reason.

Having said that, glad to see no one sighted the examples of ebay resistor "chips" etc as having any beneficial effect!

Does anybody do a throttle body conversion for the E30 325, or am I going to have to make my own?

All there mate http://www.bilas.de/English/Einzeldrosseleinspritzanlagen%20 BMW.html get your wallet ready though.

Edited by paul325i

Visit My BMW
GT6-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2004 at 03:12

Good GOD! That's nuts!

Think I'll make my own when I finally get around to it!

alpina527 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2004 at 18:06
One of my manifold/throttle body kits will yield an extra 22bhp from a 323 or 328. Not bad for £300
Phil_D View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2004 at 02:55

I got an extra 28+bhp when i chipped my last car a Fiat coupe Turbo , and that chip only cost me £100, certianlly one of the cheapest performance mods around for turbo cars no matter what fuel they use.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2004 at 03:21

Phil-D,

do you have the dyno sheets you could post, where was the work carried out? again 28bhp for £100 i find extremely hard to believe, if it was that cheap to make 28 extra we would all be driving fire breathing monsters! check out the website i posted in one of my last threads, and youl find you have been blinded by bull****,gmc tell it as it is,changing the inlet manifold now theres a worthy modification

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2004 at 04:15
Originally posted by Haigys.Hog Haigys.Hog wrote:

Phil-D,

do you have the dyno sheets you could post, where was the work carried out? again 28bhp for £100 i find extremely hard to believe, if it was that cheap to make 28 extra we would all be driving fire breathing monsters! check out the website i posted in one of my last threads, and youl find you have been blinded by bull****,gmc tell it as it is,changing the inlet manifold now theres a worthy modification

28 bhp from a chip on a turbocharged car is quite believeable, especially since it has 220bhp as standard anyway. Thats only a 13% increase. Chips are an effective and cheap way of liberating more power from turbocharged petrol and diesel cars.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Pegsta View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2004 at 04:34

Also.. the chip doesn't have to be "mapped" to a cars engine to get gains like that out of it.  If you want that sort of service you can go to someone big and reputable like AMD who will provide the rolling road/programming service and will update the chip based on any other performance mods you get done to the car.

If you want cheap you can get one that is programmed for your type of engine.  It isn't necessarily good for your car if it's done alot of miles but the general idea is if you're running an older engine at more than the manufacturers spec then you just make sure it's looked after and serviced reguarly.  You takes your chances.  I did and it never blew up on me as have many other people.  Obviously if you've got a turbo that merrily creates a luverly blue fog behind you then you don't go for the chip (of any kind...) but if you're confident the engine is in good shape then there's no reason you shouldn't have it chipped and go above the manufacturers specs.   A turbo car is easy to get gains out of... If turbo on then dump shed loads of fuel and air in engine.

Most (if not all) engines these days are detuned anyway to pass exhaust regulations.. but as the chips give the same output at idle as normal chips then your car will still pass the MOT quite happily. 

http://www.auto-amd.com/ are Audi approved tuners and they make quite consistent claims on bhp from a chip on turbo cars in line with what has been said in this thread before. 

Chipped by ChippedUK

Phil_D View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2004 at 06:27

All the chip did to my old fiat was adjust the fueling and boost , instead of boosting at 1 bar i got a max boost of 1.3 bar that used to over boost to 1.6 bar, i then removed the ecu's control of the boost as it was too erratic and put in a manual boost controller which i set to 1.3 bar sustained boost. The chip in this case was made by a company called Novitec (Italian tuning company) who were having a special offer on them when i bought it, i did however change it to another chip which was made by a guy in the Fiat coupe Club which cost me twenty quid (£20) and it was better than the novitec as he had altered the fueling, all this messing about with chips and boost controllers brought the car from 220 hp as standard to close to 270 bhp all for the price of a couple of nights out on the town.

Chipping on turbo cars is a very easy and cheap way of extracting more power up to a certain point, then you have to start looking at hybrid turbo's , larger inter-coolers , water injection etc.......

JoeP View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2004 at 08:08
Is all this talk of chipping turbos not wasted in this forum? Don't get me wrong, I could talk about cars all day, but the thing I like about Beemers is that they rely on good old fashioned engineering know how to produce powerful engines.
'89 Alpine White 325i touring
Saying 'No' to saloon and cabriolet wrongness :-)
sidyal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2004 at 09:00
I can vouch for Alpina527's throttle bodies. Even on a 316i it makes a noticable difference, driveability, mid range torque and an improved throttle response. Excellent service and fast turnaround. I'm well pleased with mine.   

E39 525TDS Touring Auto Individual. Style 32s, Schnitzer Side Skirts, Front Aero Spoiler, Chipped.
All The Car I Need. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic