Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCylinder Head Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cylinder Head Problem
    Posted: 29-October-2002 at 19:38

I have a 1990 E30 320i with the M20 engine.

After a recent rebuild, I have had several experienced problems with the cylinder head gasket leaking.  The oil seems to be mixing with the water but not the other way round.

Both the block and head are not warped in any way.  The gasket and bolts have now been replaced twice with the same result.  On each occasion the manufactures instructions have been followed exactly.

Anyone else ever experience any similar problems or have ideas?

I'm stumped!!

Sponsored Links

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2002 at 16:27
You may have a cracked head. Get it inspected. The M20 is known to crack around the cam bearing journals.
marxpower View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2002 at 14:04

Hi Brendan

Whats your tempertaure like? if you did have a cracked head, your temp gauge would be in the red all the time, if not, you havent got a cracked head.

Was the head skimmed before you fitted the new gasket? this has to be done so im told every time the head gasket is changed, also the cam belt has to be changed every time the head has been removed. A half decent mechanic will confirm this.

good luck

marc

wildrider View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2002 at 20:19

Hi Brendan,

I've had just the same problem with my E30 320 M20. I had no temp or  running problems just a constant lose of water. Then all of a sudden there was telling signs of oil in the water and the reverse. So I striped it down thinking it was the head gasket but knowing about the head cracking problems and what to look for(care of BMW tech in the family always handy). No obvious signs of a cracked head were found and no warpage to speak of, so the alot was removed cleaned and replaced with new gaskets, seals and bolts all a must but the head was not skimmed not always needed but you should check it.

All ran fine but you guested it, still losing water. I rechecked the head for cracks and nothing obvious again but being sure there must be a crack I looked long, hard and very closely and there it was the smallest little crack. the car is still running fine with nothing more than normal temps.I'll be fitting a new head very soon.

I think you should have a good look at the head it might be the same problem. After all this is a common problem.

Hope this helps

DoR.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic