FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMotorway Driving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motorway Driving
    Posted: 22-August-2004 at 09:43

On BBC news this morning discussion about motorway driving, how outside lane always packed as drivers not using inside or middle lane when it is empty. Mainly down to no forward thinking on how to overtake once out of middle or outside lane.

Possibly new law to give police power to fine drivers who do not use inside lane when empty.

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Sponsored Links

stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2004 at 18:30
they've got laws at the moment to fine people who needlessly obstruct the flow of traffic such as tractors, lorries and caravans not pulling over when there is a string of traffic behind them - the only problem is the police don't enforce them!! why should this one be any different, it's too easy to go and catch real criminals like people driving slightly over the speed limit

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2004 at 21:49
Would have replied to this one earlier, but I was stuck behind a tractor pulling a caravan (which was trying to oertake a combine harvester)
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Goldryder View Drop Down
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2004 at 22:01

The main problem I found with some standards of driving on motorways when I was artic driving was the sheer lack of ability/confidence that some drivers show.

Until motorway driving is included in normal driving lessons and not as an option after the test has been passed, there will always be those who are nervous or just plain unsure about how you are supposed to drive on a motorway.

Over here we have an added problem.  We have a mere 1 mile of dual carriageway only, the rest of the roadways are standard 'A' and 'B' roads and country lanes.  Anyone taught to driver here are usually not given any idea as to how to approach rolling junctions etc and motorways cos we just don't have any.  So whenever I get onto the mainland, its always evident who is a first time driver over there cos they are just so completely out of their depth.

The curriculum of driving schooling needs updating urgently to accommodate such things as motorways and other such relatively advanced types of driving.  Less people would then sit in the wrong lane and be nervous of overtaking or keeping to the speed limit on a motorway.

We did try an idea over here of getting the ferry companies to allow free passage for learner drivers to go across to Portsmouth or Southampton for motorway training, unfortunately it didn't last due to ferry company constraints.

It is extremely scary to follow a first timer through Portsmouth cos they have no idea how to behave on the roads there and within about 10 mins they are on the motorways..and they really have no clue whatsoever.

I also think that driving tests should be retaken every 5 years.  Then people who through their nature as human beings build up bad habits can deal with them and possibly stay alive a bit longer too.

October 2-6 2008 - Houston, Texas - Long Distance Wedding
March 15-April 1 2009 - Transatlantic Cruise
October 10-25 2009 - China, Korea, Taiwan & Japan Cruise
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2004 at 22:54
Originally posted by Goldryder Goldryder wrote:

...I also think that driving tests should be retaken every 5 years. Then people who through their nature as human beings build up bad habits can deal with them and possibly stay alive a bit longer too.

This is hardly going to make a difference in WCUK....

...he said, as he made faster progress in the "slow" lane...

Edited by Horsetan

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2004 at 16:24

Ok so what does WCUK mean?

There are too many people on the roads these days who either lack the skill or the confidence to be able to drive well. On top of this there are also a lot of drivers who are totally oblivious of everyone else. I drove behind an old bloke the other day who kept slowing down to about 5 mph while he decided if he was going to stop. No indication he would just slow right down. Then when I went to pass him, he decided he wasn't stopping and sped up again, to 20mph. This happened about 5 times over a 1 mile stretch of road.Angry

As for new motorway laws, what is the point, unless there will be a way of enforcing them with cameras! a_smil17

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2004 at 08:50
The drive up the M40 to Gaydon was quite frustrating on Sunday. Plenty of people who just sit in the middle lane when there is nothing else around!
MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2004 at 11:31
That realy does my crust in. I had someone try to overtake me on the inside lane the other day, just as I was going to pull back over.
I also had an old windbag in a rover staying put in the overtaking lane of a dual, side by side with another car doing about 55 the other day on the way up to Stanley. I must have flashed him several times to shift (which he obligingly did at an extra 5mph at no rush to himself). The trouble is it makes you want to plant your foot down in frustration, must have hit 90 when I passed him. (not very sensible, but it felt good)
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2004 at 11:36
On Thursday evening and Friday night it was getting daft on the roads.  I was in my friend's Skyline, not driving, and the number of idiots who challenge those cars is crazy.  I've noticed it before in the Skylines and my old Supra Turbo...people just love to try it on..which would be ok if they had anything half decent, but when you get boyracers in Astra's or Pug 205 GTi's trying to match your speed on a motorway or dual carriageway, its just plain ridiculous.  (We even had some dozy so'n'so in an M3 try it on..no bleeping chance...but he still had to have a go.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2004 at 11:48
A Taxi driver I was cahtting to the other day was telling me about some famous boxer that lives in Sheffield who drives at breakneck speed in his Aston/Porsche etc. like an idiot. He had (taxi bloke) his wife and kids in his car when this idiot screamed upo behind him and sat about a foot off his back end. He also said thaty the coppers had pulled this lad over for his driving, but then patted him on the back, shook his hand and let him off telling him to drive a bit more sensible.. To which he got back in his car and floored it.
I haven't mentioned any names (for obvious reasons, as I'm only relaying the story) but I can believe it, by the way I've seen idiots drive ( specially if they are behind the wheel of a powerful car)
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2004 at 11:57

Fast cars are fine on fast roads when everyone else is travelling in same direction..as in a track..but sometimes the adrenaline takes over the common sense a tiny bit...

Most of the time its when someone has the little green monster when they see you in a car thats probably quicker than yours.  Trouble with the turbo Supra and the Skylines is that most people know what their potential is, but potential and actual is usually quite different...for instance my Turbo Supra should have been 237bhp, but with some careful tweeking mine was 310bhp at the wheels, the average Skyline R33 in standard form is around the 250 mark...but most are well over 300, some over 500.  And to look at a Skyline or Supra, whose to say what it can do when opened up, it doesn't exactly show from the outside.

Its the age old thing about 'must get infront of that car' syndrome, I spose.

Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2004 at 11:58
Most of whats wrong with motorway driving is nothing to do with the car or what it has under the bonnet..its the person behind the wheel.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2004 at 12:04
Unfortunatly some people are like that. I have seen some very dangerous driving on the roads, but - touch wood - no accidents as yet. Some of which I could't beleive were happening.
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2004 at 12:14

Having been an artic driver, unfortunately I have seen a fair few bad smashes over the years....some seen actually happen infront of me...but that will always happen sadly.

One thing that I, and my friend from Gatwick, think is getting disturbing is the number of under 30 yr olds - some under 25 - getting hold of Group 20 cars.  Take the Skyline which is G20 or the Turbo Supra which is G17.  Those cars are not novice drives.  Most driving schools use front wheel drive cars.  The Supra and Skyline are RWD and definately not for the faint hearted.  There seems to be an increasing number of young and inexperienced drivers moving up to the bigger, more powerful cars very soon after passing their test.  And every day on the Skyline/Supra sites there are newbies who have done 180 or 360 dgrees in their car cos they didn't know how to handle it, specially in the wet.

I taught my neighbour's son how to drive and got him through his test a couple of years back, he had failed 9 times before.  The difference was I taught him in my n/a Supra and he took his test in it too.

People really don't realise how different a RWD car is, the big engined high bhp models are absolutely lethal if you don't know how to feel the car under your backside and how to get out of trouble if you find yourself stepping out.

Cars are much higher powered anyway nowadays, but experience behind the wheel is something that alot of those who drive the big cars just don't have and thats where alot of accidents happen.

Edited by Goldryder

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2004 at 12:25

i've just downloaded a smart little game from suprnova.org called "3d driving school", some people could do well to check this out hehehe (although its very picky on checking mirrors and blindspots, and you can drive in other european countries as well where the rules are completely different - more than once i got told off for trying to go the "wrong" way round a roundabout!

best of all, you get to drive an E36

heres some screenshots, as you can see it looks quite realistic....

See, Farmer Giles holds up traffic everywhere, even in computer games!

Oooh, wanna race, huh?

Doing 200km/h, should be able to make that gap on the inside of the lorry...

Now you see him!  Think once, think twice, think where the **** did that bike come from!?!

Edited by stephenperry

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2004 at 12:29
I span out on a roundabout the other month in my E30. It was after a torential downpour after some hot weather and there must have been some oil on the road. I wasn't going any, as I had only just pulled out. I found myself spinning twice before the back end slid to a stop. (facing the wrong way just past my exit) luckely everyone stopped and I pulled over at the next laybye to check my car, as my first thought was a tire had gone.
I think it must have helped that I knew how the car would react after doing it on ice before in an empty carpark to see what would happen.
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2004 at 12:37

I have been driving since 1981, no accidents/convictions, ridden large motorcycles for 7 yrs, drag raced for 9 yrs, all cars except 5 have been RWD - owned over 40 cars since '81, driven 44 tonne artics for 5 yrs and coaches for 2 yrs.  Not being funny but where driving is concerned there really isn't any replacement for experience, specially high bhp RWD cars like the Skyline's and Supra's.

Advance driving is a good thing, but the normal driving lessons/tests have to be dragged out of the 19th century if they are going to be of any use.  Cars are more powerful now and more power needs more ability to drive.  Most people don't even know where the oil and water goes when they learn to drive, so how the dickens they are sposed to know how to get out of a 180 without doing themselves or their car or anyone else harm is anyone's guess.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2004 at 12:43
maybe skid pan training should become a compulsory part of learning to drive....

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2004 at 12:46

Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

maybe skid pan training should become a compulsory part of learning to drive....

Not a bad idea at all....I agree

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2004 at 12:54
Maybe they should introduce skid pad training as part of the driving school course. I also think that everyone should do a DL196 as part of their driving school course, makes you more aware of whats going on around you. I certainly found a difference when I got back behind the wheel after a day riding a bike.
My instructer happened to be an old mate, who since left the riding school as he couldn't take the stress of youngsters wanting to throw their leg over a big bike and kill themselves. He said they didn't want to listen to want he was teaching them, they just wanted to smash themselves into the nearest roundabout. I saw him last night in town, he looks a lot happier and calmer now hes got a different job.
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic