FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour Oil Questions answered

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2005 at 11:59

Hi Simon,

It's a 1997 facelift model (with 100k miles).

Thanks

Carl

Carl

Ford Focus 1.8TDdi Estate
Ford Focus 1.8TDdi
Porsche 944 Turbo

BM's gone, but maybe only temporary!
Sponsored Links

oilman View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2005 at 07:03

Use a 5w-40 all year round would be my advice. Fuchs do a good one which is BMW Approved and won't break the bank.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/TechSpecs/titan%20supersyn%20sl%20 5w_40%20&%20sl%205w_50.pdf

Cheers

Simon

Use the code BAVBOARD and get 10% Club Discount
email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
Phone: 01209 202944
bill neate View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2005 at 12:53
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Simon,

I have a few questions.

1) What do you mean by "Shed" grade oil.

2) I currently use Mobil 1 in my BMW 328. What do you think of this oil and would you recommend it for my car which has done 100k.

3) I used standard mineral oil in my previous cars, Castrol GTX. Would I have seen any benefits from using a proper synthetic instead bearing in mind I have never owned a car with less than 70K on the clock.

4) What in your opinion is the best reasonably priced oil availible.

oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2005 at 15:41
Originally posted by bill neate bill neate wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Simon,

I have a few questions.

1) What do you mean by "Shed" grade oil.

2) I currently use Mobil 1 in my BMW 328. What do you think of this oil and would you recommend it for my car which has done 100k.

3) I used standard mineral oil in my previous cars, Castrol GTX. Would I have seen any benefits from using a proper synthetic instead bearing in mind I have never owned a car with less than 70K on the clock.

4) What in your opinion is the best reasonably priced oil availible.

1) Oils that are sold anywhere and everywhere normally through supermarkets and discount stores

2) Nothing wrong with Mobil1, it's a proper PAO synthetic whether I recommend it rather depends on the year and model and the viscosity you're using.

3)YES, absolutely

4)Depends what you call reasonably priced. If you mean comparable to Mobil1 prices then Silkolene PRO S. If you mean cheaper than this then I highly recommend the Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL range due to their factory fill position with BMW AG.

Cheers

Simon

Jim525d View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2005 at 04:39

Hi Simon

I have a 2002 525d which will be doing 30k miles a year, mostly between Farnborough and Plymouth (50 - 80 mph, barely ticking over).  From your posts it looks like I can trust the main dealer to use a suitable oil (who I am obliged to use until the warranty runs out at the end of the year). 

My questions are a bit more general though.  I am new to diesel ownership and I carry a bunch of old wives tales about higher main bearing pressures, more soot etc., which mean dielsels require high spec oils. 

1. So - what demands do modern turbo diesel engines put on oils, compared to similar sized petrol ones? 

2. Given that my nominal oil change interval is the same as that for petrol engines, I presume modern oils are up to the challenge? 

Thanks for the good work,

Jim

oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2005 at 08:30

Jim,

I hope this explains and answers your questions:

The traditional view was that diesel engine oils needed higher detergent level = TBN = alkaline reserve to cope with acidic combustion products derived from sulphur in the fuel. The extra detergent also acted as a keep clean, diesel engines always produce more soot, inevitable because an over rich mixture is the only way to induce acceleration since there is no way of advancing the ignition.

Diesel engine oils also tended to be heavier, initially monogrades, later fairly heavy multigrades 15W/x or 20W/x to cope with higher bearing pressures resulting from high compressions.

Petrol engine oils traditionally needed improved anti wear not least because the engine turns faster, the valve springs have to be stronger to close the valve in time for the next cycle, so higher loading on the cam, followers and valve train generally.

These profiles are not necessarily mutually exclusive; technology has advanced, manufacturing tolerances are much tighter on all engines, diesels are more refined following development of the common rail engine, compression ratios and diesel sulphur levels have been reduced to address emission targets. Anti wear has recently been focused on the cam driven fuel pump which provides a very high pressure fuel supply to the injectors.

On the petrol engine side fuel injection has resulted in a smoother engine, more precise metering has reduced the likelihood of fuel dilution, valve train wear has been largely engineered out of the picture.

Of course the oils have been developed, it is now possible to attain high levels of overall protection and longer life from a low vis synthetic product.

So, diesel and petrol engine requirements have been getting closer, a properly selected low vis synthetic / part synthetic may be expected to be suitable for a range of modern diesel and petrol engines.

Whether it be petrol of diesel, modern BMW's require low viscosity LL01 or LL98 oils which are normally 0w-30, 5w-30, 0w-40 or 5w-40.

Cheers

Simon

Nick DE View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 06:36

Simon

My 1988 320i has 195000km (122000 miles) on the clock. I only drive it from April to November, in temperatures ranging from 10 to 35C.

I only use it at weekends etc, driving max 5000 miles per year. I am therefore concerned that the oil may drain back to the sump between uses, giving high wear of valve gear etc at start-up. I want an oil that will protect the engine under these circumstances - a reduction in absolute performance or fuel economy is not an issue. What grade and API category would you recommend ?

What kind of oil change regime would you recommend, taking into account the winter hibernation ?

Finally, do you have any views on Castrol High Mileage ? On paper it looks like a good idea for my engine, but is it really suitable ?

Thanks

Nick

Go Darkness
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2005 at 05:31

Nick,

If your enigne is still in good condition then go for a 5w-40 full synthetic, this will help meet your requirments as the 5w will provide good cold start protection.

As the car is sat for a long time the oil will drain back down in to the sump, you can help combat this by using an ester based synthetic, ester is polar so leaves a film of oil over the engine at all times, again helping start up protection.

With these ester/pao synthetics and your annual mileage you are looking at one change per annum.

I would look at the Silkolene Pro S 5w-40 or the Motul 8100 excess 5w-40 as both of these are ester based and BMW approved.

Tech specs here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htm

Most "High mileage oils" are the result of marketing, nothing special. Some contain addatives to help the seals to swell, but a well maintained engine does not need this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Simon.

Nick DE View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2005 at 14:07

Simon

I'm a bit confused. I thought a 5W-40 oil is 'thinner' than eg a 10W-40, and therefore more likely to drain down to the sump during long sits ? Sorry, but engine oils just confuse the hell out of me !!

Nick

Go Darkness
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2005 at 07:45

All grades of oil will sink back into the sump, when you next turn the key, the fastest oil to get back up there will be the 5w followed by a 10w.

This combined with an ester based oil which will leave a film of oil all over the engine will give very good cold start protection.

Cheers

Simon.

harvard468 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2005 at 08:53

Simon,

Reading this latest thread a few comments:-

1. As I recall there isn't Silkolene BMW LL-01 approved oil?  Am I right?

2. I should imagine after a day or 2 any oil of whatever grade will have drained back to the sump from a warm engine!

3. I seem to recall in last month's BMWCar magazine, a note from the editorial staff explaining that 10w-40 means that the oil is four times thicker at operating temperature than at start-up!!

Stephen B
1990 Z1
1994 E34 540i Touring
1999 E38 740i (Had to go)
2001 E39 M5
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2005 at 09:13

Steven,

I agree, after a day or two any oil will drain back into the sump, hense one handy use of esters to help the oil cling to the surface.

Silkolene do not have a BMW LL01 spec oil, but the Pro S and Pro R range are BMW apporved and suitable for the BMW's that dont call for an LL01 oil.

Without doing the maths myself, I do not know if 4 times thinner then at start up is correct, however they are right in saying as an oil gets hot it gets thinner, and not thicker like the viscosity numbers would suggest.

Cheers

Simon.

harvard468 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2005 at 09:37

Simon,

The point is they were, I recall, suggesting that the oil got thicker as it gets hotter!  Hence my surprise!!

Stephen B
1990 Z1
1994 E34 540i Touring
1999 E38 740i (Had to go)
2001 E39 M5
grobda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2005 at 14:01
I have '91 525i with 123k miles, It is often left for 3-4 days and does a mixture of regular 0-5 mile trips and 50 mile plus at weekends. I try to keep revs below 4000 for first 5 mins.

The engine has recently been checked and the emissions are fine, I'm currently using 10w-40 shed semi. Having read most of this thread i'm guessing you'd recommend silkolene pro s 5w/40 ;) can you confirm / deny this and PM me a price

thanks
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 08:30

You don't need to use Silkolene PRO S 5w-40 unless of course you want to put one of the best oils available in.

Fuchs Supersyn 5w-40 or Motul 8100 5w-40 are great fully syn oils and BMW Approved.

I would still use a fully synthetic 5w-40.

Just email me for a price list sales@opieoils.co.uk

Cheers

Simon

Nick DE View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2005 at 11:17

Simon

I'm still confused !! The E30 user manual oil diagram says a 5W oil is for -30 or -40C use. For my kind of weather, it implies a 15W-50 would be better as it is for -20 to +40C. It also talks about CCMC-G2.

You've convinced me on the Ester oil idea. I can't seem to find any Silkolene car oils here in Germany (only motorbike oils), which leaves Motul.

The 300V Competition seems to combine Ester with 15W-50, but is probably a lot more expensive than the 8100 X-cess 5W-40, and it seems excessive to use a full racing oil for a weekend car.

The more I try to understand the worse it gets...

Go Darkness
Nick DE View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2005 at 06:14

Simon

After yet more reading around on the Internet, daylight may be breaking through

A lot of BMW experts and Forums in Germany are saying that 0W-xx and 5W-xx oils are too 'watery' and therefore bad, and that an old E30 M20 engine needs at least 15-xx. But I'm starting to think they have misunderstood the viscosity ratings. This is what I think is really going on:-

The ideal viscosity for the engine is the one a correct oil reaches once the engine is at operating temperature - say about 100C, and this is best described by the second part of a multigrade designation. A xxW-40 oil will be at about 12-15 cSt at this temperature, and we can assume this is roughly what the BMW designers had in mind for a M20.

The first part of the designation is the cold behaviour of the oil, and by cold I am beginning to think we are talking about a non-warmed up engine ie anything less than 100C, whether that is a 10C spring morning or a -20C winter morning.

As all oils unfortunately become thicker as they get colder, in any non-warmed up engine the oil will be thicker than the optimum 12-15 cSt. This reduces oil flow and increases friction, both of which are bad for the engine. It will also lead to heat build-up, which is believed to be the main reason for cracked cylinder heads on M20s.

Therefore the best oil for an engine is one that has optimum viscosity at high temperatures (ie xxW/40 for an M20), but that doesn’t thicken up too much for my sunny spring morning trips. As a 5W-xx can still manage halfway decent flows at lower temperatures than a 15W-xx, a 5W-xx will be less overthickened at 10C than a 15W-xx. Overall there are no conditions in which a 05W-40 will be thinner an equal quality 15W-40, but the 05W-40 will be closer to optimum at engine start-up.

Looking at the Motul data sheets, 300V Competition 15W-50 is 18cSt at 100C, and 128cSt at 40C. At 100C it is therefore slightly over optimum, but as a full race engine will run warmer than a road car this is reasonable. But at 40C it is ten times thicker than optimum, and it will be even worse at 10C.

8100 X-cess 5W-40 is 14cSt at 100C, and 83cSt at 40C. At 100C it is in the  optimum range. At 40C it is only six times thicker than optimum, and so should also be better at 10C. Therefore the 8100 X-cess 5W-40 is the right oil for a summer only, weekend use M20 engine.

Simon, this leaves me with some questions:

1 - Have I understood correctly ??

2 - If I am right, wouldn’t the 8100 E-tech 0W-40 be even better ??

3 - If I am right, why does 10W-xx and 15W-xx exist any more, they offer no advantages over a 0W-xx ??

Thanks for being willing to give up your time to bring clarity to a murky subject

Nick

Go Darkness
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2005 at 15:59

Yep, you've pretty much got it right. The best "all year round" oil is indeed 5w-40 for the BMW and of course you could use 0w-40 as well.

You need an oil that adequately protects when the engine is hot but also offers good flow when cold as this is where 90% of the engine wear occurs.

10w-40 is also a grade that can be used but it's not quite so good on start-up as it doesn't circulate so quickly.

Many people get hung up over thicker oils being better, it's not really the case with most modern engines although there are always exceptions due to design requirement.

The market has changed, mainly driven by the OEM's who have seen the light over lower viscosity oils and the advantages they give related to fuel economy, bhp and emissions.

In many cases a good quality low viscosity synthetic oil is in fact tougher than a high viscosity petroleum oil and numbers like the HTHS and NOACK % if you can get hold of them prove this fact.

The world has changed and oil chemistry has come on leaps and bounds, hopefully engines will last longer because of it.

Cheers

Simon

Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2005 at 09:56

Hi Simon,

I have recently bought a 1987 525e with the M20 engine, it has 73k on the clock and I'm thinking about doing the first service on her as the gloop in the sump is very black. My requirements are similar to above, use only during spring/summer and generally using for long runs at the weekend. The engine is a torquey big beast and redlines at 4500rpm and my driving style is lazy cruise, so no high speed stuff needed! I also worry about wear from cold, always try to let my cars run for at least a couple of minutes before driving away. I'd be willing to spend a little extra to ensure good protection, so if you could advise possible oils that would be great.

On a BMW unrelated note, I also have an 83 Chevette(!) with 88k on the clock. The engine is good and tight and doesn't smoke at all, it's the standard little 1256 and I'm currently using Halfords cheapo 20W50 in it. Again it is never over-revved so performance or racing oil is not a consideration! I was just curious could you recommend an oil for this application? Want to make sure the engine stays as good as it is. Thanks for your help, it's a great service you provide!

1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2005 at 10:27

For the 525e, if you want the best then I would recommend Silkolene PRO S 10w-50. The book lists 15w-40 but you'll get better cold and hot protection from the 10w-50.

The chevette, stick with a 20w-50 and I would recommend this one for older vehicles.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/TechSpecs/silkolube%20sae%2020w_50 .pdf

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Simon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
  Share Topic