Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSpeed check question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
I’m SOOO cut out for world domination!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 13:57

there are no more radar guns in operation, all laser.  the thing about the scanners or jammers is that the laser gun only needs .4 of a second to get a reading, if you're hammering along even 20k over the limit you are not going to be able to slow enough in that length of time.

D.

Dermot O Rourke, used to be '99 520 black metallic
Now '01 525 M-Sport, cosmos black, sports half leather seats, upgraded lights and a kick like a mule!!!
Sponsored Links

Emmet323 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 14:50
Have a read through some of the links i posted, some very good results from jammers which allow you time to slow down before switching off and permiting the guard to get a reading. Having spent some time with google the blinder units in particular come in for some kudos.

Anyone heard of someone stopped with a 'conventional' dash etc detector and plods reaction?
Kin Mak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 15:59
Diffusers/jammers will give an error code on the gun used until the signal is turned off. Usually a preset time is given. Lets say once the device detects laser, it will sound a beep in the car and then after 5 seconds it will turn itself off so the gun can get a reading, by that time you should have heard the beep and slowed down to the speed limit.

Not that I will ever use one...
digweed View Drop Down
I’m SOOO cut out for world domination!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 16:42

maybe, i'm only going on what i've been told,  where would the sensor be?  normally the no. plate has to be hit as its a vertical plane to rebound the laser, and its very accurate in firing the laser, one car can be picked from a line if there is enough of the no. plate or light visible.  i know there is one in the states i think that floods the area with infra red light when it detects the laser.

D.

Dermot O Rourke, used to be '99 520 black metallic
Now '01 525 M-Sport, cosmos black, sports half leather seats, upgraded lights and a kick like a mule!!!
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 18:50

just getting back to the talk of 17 yr old drivers, as a 17 yr old driver i could not agree more that extra tuition and tests/courses for younger drivers are an excellent idea. i like others have been able to drive since 12 and for a 17 yr old i think i can drive pretty well and safely but there are some others, some of my friends even who shouldnt be let within an ass's roar of a car. This system of theory test and hop straight into a civic/saxo etc is ridiculous, we need some sort of practical test too it would seriously cut down on carnage involving young drivers.

i am totally on for an IAM day if you are going ahead Fey?

Am seriously interested in getting a speed gun detector/jammer/whatever the hell as in my mind driving at 5 or 10mph over the limit on a dual carriageway is not exactly daredevil style driving and i do fancy holding on to my licence a little while longer-ive been waiting 17 years for it!! 

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
Mick525i View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 03:53
Originally posted by Ben O Brien Ben O Brien wrote:

just getting back to the talk of 17 yr old drivers, as a 17 yr old driver i could not agree more that extra tuition and tests/courses for younger drivers are an excellent idea. i like others have been able to drive since 12 and for a 17 yr old i think i can drive pretty well and safely but there are some others, some of my friends even who shouldnt be let within an ass's roar of a car. This system of theory test and hop straight into a civic/saxo etc is ridiculous, we need some sort of practical test too it would seriously cut down on carnage involving young drivers.

i am totally on for an IAM day if you are going ahead Fey?

Am seriously interested in getting a speed gun detector/jammer/whatever the hell as in my mind driving at 5 or 10mph over the limit on a dual carriageway is not exactly daredevil style driving and i do fancy holding on to my licence a little while longer-ive been waiting 17 years for it!! 

Big car for a young dude.... Nice one.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 06:06

Yea, nice one Ben. I started as a named driver in a 1986 Nissan Patrol then onto a yellow Kangoo van (I know), then a Silver (thank god) Partner van, then a 1.9 JTD Doblo van with 100 brake (seriously fast, take on anything at the lights and win) then a Brava (piece of sh1t) on my own policy, then a 1.2 Stilo, (great car but needed an engine) then a '00 Landcruiser, then onto my Patrol. The Z3 is technically hers but we share cars. She started as a named driver on the Landcruiser, then her own '98 Fiesta (great car, actually miss it) and now her Z3. Kids of today have it all.

By the way how much is your insurance on the 525?

Edited by flyingalexf68
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 06:35

Bein honest i wasnt going for the 525 or any e34/bmw when i was getting insured, i have an astra van 1.7DI which i brought in from the uk and to get insurance was costing me over 3k so for talks sake i got a quote on a 520 under my mothers name and it turned out to be 3400, sod the astra me thinks!! Bought a 90 520i to get insured on when the 94 525td came up for sale from a friend of my dads and i knew it was mint/uk import fbmwsh etc so i bought it, insurance is currently 3200 under my mothers name as believe it or not at 115bhp its cheaper to insure than a 518i or 520i m20, 

Also it wasnt necessarily the bmw at 17 image or whatever that made me choose, one of the main things is the safety and since driving last july (the day after my 17th birthday-trust me it was crossing out the days on the calender stuff!!? I have noticed the amount of idiots taking chances on the roads is phenomenal and im glad i have an e34 around me and its worth the sacrifice of no cash to have one.

Nice choice with the landcruiser and the patrol, we've got two landcruisers one 00 passenger and a 01 commercial, great jeep, truly addictive! Hope to aspire after college to a patrol/cruiser commercial for work and a nice 530d sport or at that stage a 535d sport for the weekends!

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic