Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWho has the best brand image??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Who has the best brand image??
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [39.02%]
25 [60.98%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 08:27

what about Lada,

russian engineering and italian styling

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Sponsored Links

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 11:21

Is it not the E30 that caused the bad image for BMW as the yuppy wide boys went for these cars before they got their porsches and ferrari's.

I alwalys thought this was the case

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 12:07

The E30 was (and is) one of the best BMW's in so many ways; I think it made BMW, and it spawned the "purest" of all the M cars (M1 possibly excepted).

Larzyh.

Larzyh.
Previously or currently, in the family: '77 E21 320, '78 E21 320, '79 E21 320, '87 E28 520i, '88 E30 325iC, '95 E34 525i, '98 E39 528i, '98 Z3 2.5, '98 E38 740iL, '95 E36 Compact, '99 E36 318iT, '02 E46 318iT, '96 E34 525tdsT, '98 E38 740iL...
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 12:09
yes but did the wide boys not give people a perception that is was a car for "to$$er$"
Dave Ryle

brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brybusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 12:14
Agreed, I always understood that the E30 made BMW and set up its (modern) image with the motoring public/press..we all wanted a bit of the loadsmoney/yuppy lifestyle in the 80’s!

More and more people nowadays are appreciating what classics these cars are, you do see the odd hideous max power styleeee one but nothing like the number of horrendous E36’s you see now!

635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 12:27
Originally posted by larzyh larzyh wrote:

The E30 was (and is) one of the best BMW's in so many ways; I think it made BMW, and it spawned the "purest" of all the M cars (M1 possibly excepted).

Larzyh.

I have to disagree, the 2002 was the car that made BMW.
fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 12:27
I have a similar viewpoint to Coasting about brand image.

BMWs is awful.

How many news articles have we all read where the brand is used to evoke an image of a boorish, moneyed tactless individual thrusting their views onto others in an otherwise benign environment?

I remember reading an article for example about Newquay and the 'new surfers' intruding on the "lovely hippyish indigents" to surf for a high weekend in summer and then clear off when the rain started - "They turn up in their BMWs with their posh surf gear and ruin it for all of us".

Or what about cases of aggressive driving - a journalist will say "a badly driven car", or if they struck lucky they can make a much juicier sounding line with "a badly driven BMW"

BMW is the keyword for aggression in motoring IMO.

I only bought into the marque because of the driving position in the first instance...
Beating around the bush.
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 13:09

I am old enough to remember when the 2002 was a current model and it was quite a niche product (in the best sense of the term, I like 2002's).

The E21 was the first BMW to sell more than a million. The real "explosion" in sales and marketshare came with the E30 in the 80's; without it I doubt BMW would have survived as an independent (thriving) manufacturer.

Larzyh.

Edited by larzyh
Larzyh.
Previously or currently, in the family: '77 E21 320, '78 E21 320, '79 E21 320, '87 E28 520i, '88 E30 325iC, '95 E34 525i, '98 E39 528i, '98 Z3 2.5, '98 E38 740iL, '95 E36 Compact, '99 E36 318iT, '02 E46 318iT, '96 E34 525tdsT, '98 E38 740iL...
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 16:10

Originally posted by Kin Mak Kin Mak wrote:

Coasting, most people that don't like BMW can't afford one

Sorry but to say 'most' is a vast overstatement.

Over on our place we have a mass of new RS4 owners, S4 owners, and owners of other brands, all well capable of buying a BMW - but they just don't like the image.

That isn't something I can understand on the basis that I don't really see why image has to be such a huge factor, but it is certainly evidence that it is nothing to do with affordability.

Without meaning to offend, I also think that sort of claim is one of the reasons BMW drivers get such a bad name!

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 16:14
Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

because if anyone is having to think about image to begin with, then you're probably not driving the car you should be. 

don't quite get this bit, can you elaborate?

[

Yes, I mean there is far too much emphasis put on the image of a car and that, personally, I think that someone who is really bothered about the image their car gives off needs a bit of a reality check.

It's nice to have a nice car, but in my opinion it's all down to what you think and not what everyone else thinks, so why give a flying stuff about image?

Take the image of Skoda as a good example.  Far superior cars these days to most others out there, yet a recent survey proved that people still wouldn't buy one because of the 'image'.  Pathetic in my opinion.

stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 16:20

i must admit that i'm pathetic, i wouldn't buy a lot of cars because of their reputation or image (would you like a list? ), plus because a lot of people feel the same way i bet a skoda is more difficult to resell than a vw

i have to laugh because every skoda owner i've met always feels the need, without prompting, to defend their choice when they tell you what car they drive - "it's as good as a vw at half the price" or "it's a rebadged passat/golf etc"

Edited by stephenperry

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 16:26

personally i can't see vw shooting themselves in the foot by releasing seats and skodas with the same quality at less money...

it's perceived quality, the tactile dashboard, the way the doors clunk when you shut them.... the cheapening up happens under the skin, the bits you can't see or feel

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 16:29

I just think thats very unfortunate.

So you're saying you'd ignore driving dynamics, the capability of the car and it's value or overall package just because of the badge it wore?

My wife had a Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi before her 320d arrived, and it was superb car.  The build wasn't up to the BMW standard, but it wasn't a long way behind either.  Materials were cheaper, but the value for money was there for all to see. 

You say that a Skoda driver feels the need to point out to you that it's a rebadged Passat etc, which is fair enough as that seems rather a silly thing for them to feel the need to do.  However, putting the shoe on the other foot, isn't that as bad as someone saying they'd ignore all the driving facts about a car and dismiss it because of a few badges?  Surely the latter is much worse?

Unless it's a Perodua of course, in which case the driving and package is possibly, if its possible, even worse than the badge.

Edited by Coasting

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 16:35
Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

personally i can't see vw shooting themselves in the foot by releasing seats and skodas with the same quality at less money...

it's perceived quality, the tactile dashboard, the way the doors clunk when you shut them.... the cheapening up happens under the skin, the bits you can't see or feel

I didn't say they were the same.  Of course they're not - but they're still good quality and a lot better than a high percentage of other 'mainstream' (whatever that means) cars.

They use different materials, yes, but they also act as a very good feeder car into the VW network, because people subconsciously get used to a certain layout and driving feel.  Rather like Mini and BMW.  The Mini has proved to be a collosal success as a feeder car, as much as a car in its own right.

Yet it's not a small BMW.  But it is a car BMW make with certain dynamics in mind, using slightly inferior materials, and they keep a close relationship with the dealer network to feed customers through.

It's individual opinion ultimately, but I just have a preconceived idea of my own that people who think about image a lot are also those that drive down a high street thinking "Ooo look, they're looking at me in my BMW", or as they pull up in a car park, imagining that people are looking at their car because it's a BMW.  Most of them aren't.  They're just getting on with their lives.  It's the 'wrapped up in me' sentiment that I don't understand.

p.s.  Stephen, I'm not saying that applies to you, I'm just saying that to some drivers image is such a big thing and I cannot comprehend what it is they think it does for them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 16:46

So you're saying you'd ignore driving dynamics, the capability of the car and it's value or overall package just because of the badge it wore?

it's not all about the badge; i used to like fords back when they made good cars, the vauxhall omega was very underrated as a 5-series rival, and i'd gladly give a vauxhall monaro a home given half a chance

i have great respect for cars, there are some real hidden gems out there, but i'm very shallow and prejudiced against certain makes and models through a mixture of reputation and experience...

some examples...

i don't like french cars (peugeot - unreliable, citreon - unreliable, renault - ugly and unreliable), skoda still has that stigma, rover - old mans car, mg - old mans car trying too hard, japanese cars - capable but very uninvolving, fiat - rusty and unreliable, alfa - unreliable, saab - too much power for front wheel drive, volvo - only consider a t5 but too big and powerful for front wheel drive, audi - posh vw, lexus - posh toyota, bmw z3 - girls car, bmw 1-series - ugly

Edited by stephenperry

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 16:49
Originally posted by dryle dryle wrote:

what about Lada,

russian engineering and italian styling

could be worse, italian engineering and russian styling

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 16:56
Originally posted by BM Fan BM Fan wrote:

not sure where I fit in unless 34 makes you an Auld Fella
now.

You're not an 'Auld Fella' at 34. Far from it. But your ML would put 10-15
years onto you. I bet people would probably wonder if you've had botox or
other cosmetic surgery when they see you after getting out of your car.

1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 16:58

I'm just saying that to some drivers image is such a big thing and I cannot comprehend what it is they think it does for them.

could be a touch of narcissism or conversely, low self-esteem?

Edited by stephenperry

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdevitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 18:29
Originally posted by 635CSi 635CSi wrote:

Originally posted by kdevitt kdevitt wrote:

[QUOTE=ivanovoitch]

Funny you should say that - but the Lexus IS200 is fast becoming the weapon of choice for scrotes here in D15... they're all over the place, and fast catching up on the dodgy E36's.

Anyway, long and short of it is that BMW has a crap image amongst other drivers, who cares ... as long as you're not someone who perpetuates it.
The Altezza you mean, yes that car has seemed to have achieved cult status with 'skobes' lately. It's destroying the car's image if you ask me, look what happened to the Toyota Glanza Turbo and the Subaru Impreza.

Nope, I mean Lexus - theres one or two altezzas alright, but most are Lexus. Easier to insure afaik
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 23:54
Originally posted by kdevitt kdevitt wrote:

Nope, I mean Lexus - theres one or two altezzas alright, but most are Lexus.
Easier to insure afaik

It's come full circle then. Young lads driving Lexus' wishing they were
Toyota's.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic