FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy dream judge....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2006 at 10:01
Originally posted by Bigian Bigian wrote:

At the end of the day he was caught speeding and got away with it.

I'm afraid to say Livvy if you are taking everything as gospel in the highway code book you must drive like an angel.

You can not follow these to the letter in everday driving

For instance when i was driving on the road yesterday with half a bus load of passengers i had left enough breaking distance between me and the car in front when out of now where a car pulled in to the space in front of me leaving me with no breaking space he/she then slammed on the breaks it is just as well the buss has ABS OR I WOULD HAVE BEEN REACHING HIS/HER BONNET BY the time i got my 10 tonne 40x9 foot long bus stopped.

So tell me would i have been charged with murder because of this turking mat not  reading his/her highway code book

The breaking distances in the book are based on cars from many years ago same for truck buses which have advanced greatly over the years it is just as well because of said incident above. I reportred ham for dangerous driving and i am waiting to her what happens

The highway code contains basic advice & law. Not adhering to the advice sections is no offence in itself, but it may be used as part evidence against you for without due care or dangerous driving.

Anything in the highway code that says MUST NOT in red, is law.

The stopping distances are basic advice only, they are not law.
How long it will take you to stop is dependent on your anticpation (reaction time), the level of deceleration applied (dependent on how hard you press the pedal, the quality of the surface, the performance  of your brakes etc).
What you must be able to do is still be able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear (that is avoid a stationary object). It doesn't matter if you left more room than it says in the highway code, if you can't avoid a stationary object in the carriageway then you will have blame.

I have already said that is not the same as something pulling infront of you against your priority, overtaking dangerously etc. Those are different matters.
You can only be held liable for your part in collisions, not other people's part.

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
Sponsored Links

Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2006 at 21:18

At the end of the day this was just a post and everybody is taking things a bit to seriously. Chill relax mellow out have some fun just like me and some friends at the weekend when wee will be taking part in the 3 monthly consumption of the falling over liquid and the next day asking round does any one remember what wee did last night or who did wee do it with    luckily i dont suffer with a hang over will have to remember to stick to single Malts

Tiko hows the club doing

If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic