Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedArticle: Ban on ’boy racer’ modifications

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 16:11
Another well thought out pile of horse ****e, i'm tired of hearing about it already
Sponsored Links

Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2005 at 16:29

Have been reading the boards.ie version of this thread.

OMFG, there are some plebs around! (IMHO, of course!!!)

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2005 at 18:01

Originally posted by gjoconnor92 gjoconnor92 wrote:

Originally posted by topazman topazman wrote:

His Nct idea won't work cause all they do is put on the stock systems for the test and them put back on the mods after
I hope no BMW car club member would do this

As if!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2005 at 18:53
Originally posted by Fey! Fey! wrote:

OMFG, there are some plebs around! (IMHO, of course!!!)

I was a contributor to that thread so Im not sure if Im included in your statement. Anyhow, the biggest pleb IMO has to be the short git Callely for wanting this law, just so he can get back into the media. the last time he tried to he got bitch-slapped by Martin Cullen (another pleb).
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Fey! View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2005 at 05:32

Killian - would I say a thing like that about you, our glorious leader?

I was refered to the guy who didn't like tint because he couldn't see through the car in front, but had no problem with vans/trucks/buses/4x4s.

jrafferty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2005 at 12:46

i read his post too.he obviously doesnt think before he posts.

or maybe he just doesnt think full stop.

bmw 323i tc baur(1985)bmw635csi man/lsd(1980)
BM Fan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2005 at 04:25
I'm going to go a bit against the grain here - so here goes

I reckon that they should adopt the German system where every car mod has to be documented and validated as being to an approved standard.

WRT Boy racers - I think there are two distinct categories there - the true modders (spending loads of cash and minding there motors) and the guys with the cannon exhaust and no money that have to resort to racing to compete.

Most peolple can't distinguish one from the other and when you see the pics I saw on the paper a few weeks back of the young girl that was killed while sitting on her wall, the car was of the Boy racer brigade and while he may not have been - its the association that does the damage.

There are quite a few around my area and to be honest some should be banned from the road - racing through housing estates, burnouts, driving like lunatics so they can hear their exhaust and dump valves etc.

So - I think they should completely tighten up on them - remove the muppet element and let the guys with the real genuine interest get on and everyone can enjoy the sport.

One final point that I feel would benefit these kids far more would be a constructive use of the transition year.  Teach them a life skill - like how to drive properly and also make them attend and help at national rehab hospital www.nrh.ie to fully understand the implications of the reality of an accident.

Anyway - there you go, I'm turning into a grumpy old man
Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2005 at 06:47

Topazman wrote

He better start lookin at the "Power Rangers" also alot of the bikes on the roads to day are heaps of crap and alot of road deaths are people on bikes so it would be more better time spent introducing and NCT for bikes as some of them have louder exhausts than cars etc. They onlt way the nect can test a car is at idle not on the road so how are they going to measure noise as most exhausts (the proper built ones )are Tuv approved etc. Local Authority are the only ones with the equipment to measure noise and the Gardai have no equipment to measure tints etc  

Have you ever been on a motorbike i have been riding one for over 10 years now it is not allways the biker at fault you have to go through 3 separate tests before you can get your full licence these days unlike cars which is only 2 the hazard perception test is a joke. They go through a more stringent test than cars for M.O.T.                  once your in your tin box most cars don't give a second thought to what is around them they are more interested to how they look and the decibels coming from there car stereo and not using there mirrors when they pull out.

If it was not for loud cans on bikes you would not know the bike was there I ALWAY TRAVEL WITH MY LIGHTS ON as well it is not law but you would not believe the amount of fg idiots that are on the road.

THIS MAY HAVE GONE A BIT OF TOPIC BUT WHEN PEOPLE ARE ACCUSING BIKERS OF THINGS THEY NEED TO TAKE A STEP BACK AND LOOK AT WHOLE PICTURE.

If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
nn_dd View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2005 at 07:35

Hi Bigian, biking is a lot different in Ireland than the UK. It's only recently that license regulations have tightened up. Being previously a part of the biking fraternity myself, Topazman isn't far off with his comments on a good portion of motorcyclists over here and you only do one test, then you have to use a restricted bike for two years, which is only a paper exercise as I know some people with "restricted" R1's. This is part of the bigger picture !

The very last time I was on a bike, I max'ed out a GSXR750 - which is not good manners anyway. But that's generally how they are ridden over here and there has been a huge increase in single vehicle bike fatalities to boot. Just pointing out that it's different over here, even if this post smacks of generality. No offence to good riders out there. I have two brothers who are lunatics and everytime I see a bike death on the news my heart skips a beat.

SO BE SAFE !

E39 530d Touring

topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2005 at 08:17
Originally posted by Bigian Bigian wrote:

Have you ever been on a motorbike i have been riding one for over 10 years now it is not allways the biker at fault you have to go through 3 separate tests before you can get your full licence these days unlike cars which is only 2 the hazard perception test is a joke. They go through a more stringent test than cars for M.O.T.                  once your in your tin box most cars don't give a second thought to what is around them they are more interested to how they look and the decibels coming from there car stereo and not using there mirrors when they pull out.

If it was not for loud cans on bikes you would not know the bike was there I ALWAY TRAVEL WITH MY LIGHTS ON as well it is not law but you would not believe the amount of fg idiots that are on the road.

THIS MAY HAVE GONE A BIT OF TOPIC BUT WHEN PEOPLE ARE ACCUSING BIKERS OF THINGS THEY NEED TO TAKE A STEP BACK AND LOOK AT WHOLE PICTURE.

When you have to go to as many bike accidents as I do you can see the damage it causes the minor ones are bones sticking out through peoples clothes, we have no national test for bikes in thsi country and as a result there are alot of dangerous bikes on the road and the bike test is a joke. Every Sunday morning the mountains around  Dublin are full of bikers (born again) who think the open road is a race track and many of them end up in the ditch or hitting other motorists. My view is that bikes and cars should ne treated the same. both have to do Mot/Nct tests and all restricted to a certain cc vehicle/motorcycle until they are qualified to drive a more powerful machine. Loud exhaust example could apply to cars also in that a pedestrian could hear the car comming down the road.   

Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
Fey! View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2005 at 12:00

BMFan - fully agree with your post.  Maybe we should open a "Grumpy Old Men" thread!

BigIan - unfortunately, a lot of drivers here are blinkered and don't look out for bikes, or else take the mindset "why should they be able to skip the queue of traffic" and won't give them any space.

Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2005 at 16:28

I think a Grumpy old man thread would be a good idea 

i agree about born again bikers jumping on machines that have advanced probely so much since the last time the rode one.and do not realise the advance in power and lightness of frame etc.

But i have ridden big bikes since i have passed my test i curently ride a ZZR100. One of my close friend was killed a couple of years ago when a tractor pulled out in front of him the tractor driver didn't look and you can quess the rest and that makes you sit up and think.

i also work for a large bus company cowboy stage and driving a large vehicle makes you very aware of what is around me at all time but you will also find a lot of very aware bikers of there soroundings and have a blast but a lot more just go out for a ride, to enjoy the freedom.

Newley passed car drivers should also be restricted on what size engined car until they have gain some experence just like new bike riders are now.

This is just my opinion and if i have upset anyone well

If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2005 at 18:37
None taken
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
mikerd4 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2005 at 02:28

having been hit by a bike being ridden dangerously by a complete head the ball people may think Im going to be bias lol but bikers and car drivers will never agree with each other, bikers blame car drivers and vice versa for all the problems ascoiated.  Personally I give bikes as much space as I can to avoid being walloped again.

As for the NCT etc as Martin states, having a set up as they have is Germany would be very good but the downside of the matter is that the TUV test is very pricey compared to the NCT and the germans have a nack of agreeing standards and sticking to them whereas there will be huge arguments in this country over them!

All about the sounds:-
Source:-Alpine 9833R Comps:-Phoenix Gold Ti6 Elites, Sub:- 2 x Focal Polyglass V2, Amps:- Arc Audio XK4150 & Soundstream Van Gogh All in a custom boot build
lesurely View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2005 at 04:59

@ mikerd4 up early or havent gone to bed

Posted: 21-November-2005 at 07:28

brain be still asleep at that time

e30 325is (deceased)
e36 318is under major construction
E39 530D Sport mtec (all the bells and whistles )

Basic unit of laryngitis: 1 hoarsepower
lesurely
BAZBMW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2005 at 12:19
Revenge is sweet.

Notice their is a "modified" Punto outside his house...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1207/callelyi.html

Baz
Fey! View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2005 at 12:22
Well spotted!
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2005 at 12:34
I'm sure tinted windows and drilled exhausts are the least of his concerns today.....!
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
BM Fan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2005 at 12:45
Was there a protest outside the dail today about this?
Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2005 at 13:05

Bikers love speed. And every single biker I know or hear of are nutters. I know tis a generalised comment, but it's reality for me.

My buddy came off the bike a few months back, smashed his pelvis, and was lucky to be alive. That was brought home when a couple of weeks later, with a friend driving a Pajero + cattle box on his way to pick up his Jixer 1100 ('sleeved' of course - NOT), at the exact same place to the metre where he had his smash, another biker hit them and wasn't so fortunate, turning the cattlebox over and killing himself in the process.

3 weeks later another buddy came of his bike. Granted, he slipped on diesel at a junction doing 15mph, but what galled him was that a mile previous he overtook a bunch of cars doing in excess of 130mph and now they'd think he was a poor rider (go figure that one).

And 8 weeks after that, a friend of a friend was turning & had a bike park itself in his back seat, spinning the car 160° around and breaking the riders 2 arms, 2 legs, pelvis, and other assorted bones. He was 3 times over the speed limit in a built up area.

And these stories are on-going. In Ireland, bikers go flat out. It's a speed addiction and bikes give such a big hit. I'm convinced half of them are on bikes cos their car licences are endorsed & they can't insure fast cars any more.

I'm not dissing them or blaming them for road deaths etc etc cos plenty of drivers are guilty of sins, and as car enthusiasts we all drive on a bit on occasion . But lets call a spade a spade : most bikers are bigger loonies than most.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic